Kale causing weird stomach pain/digestion?

Options
So this might make a few of you uncomfortable, but I have to ask because it's been bothering me...
My mom recently made Kale for dinner. I've had it before, raw, mixed in with a salad. She's also made Kale chips before (except I only tried one). This time, she mixed it in with a pot of Long Grain and Wild rice she was making on the stove.
The next day, I got up and very suddenly had to go to the bathroom. Then, I had sharp, uncomfortable pains all day. When I got home from school, I decided to have leftovers (clearly not thinking anything of it) and had the Long Grain and Wild rice mixed with bits of Kale again (same amount as the other day: about a 1/2 cup of rice).
Today, I've had REALLY bad gas and a loose stool. Earlier this morning, my stomach hurt, but after a while the pain subsided. Now I just have random bouts of loose stool.
Has this happened to anyone else before?! I'm wondering if it was the Kale, if it was something else I ate (which was nothing out of the ordinary), or if I'm coming down with a bug. I'm not really all that familiar with Kale, and when I googled it, I read that it's good for you, but only in really small doses. I didn't think I had THAT much, but in the combination of 2 days, maybe I did...
Thoughts?
P.S.-Sorry if I offended or made anyone uncomfortable. I was embarrassed to even ask this but I have to know! I asked my mom, she said she had some gas too, but she's used to eating that way (she ate that way for about 4 months straight because she did a bikini competion this past September).
Thanks so much! :)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You could just have a tummy bug you know

The only way to check is wait till you're better then do a controlled experiment with just kale.. And then just wild rice (which is hard to digest and could be responsible)...or you could avoid it altogether
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's from the brassica family. So yes it may cause some wind.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    brassicas contain difficult-to-digest fibre and sulphur. very good for you, but can cause gastrointestinal effects. very common.
  • jmunn1129
    jmunn1129 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you have a stomach bug. However, if you aren't used to high fiber veggies, especially veggies like Kale, it can cause some issues until your body is used to them.
  • jmunn1129
    jmunn1129 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Also, kale is great for you in large doses. I have a very veggie heavy diet and eat several cups of kale a day some days (I rotate my green veggies) and have never had an issue.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Kale does not agree with me at all. I will stick with collards and mustard greens, thanks.
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Your body probably just can't handle it as you're not used to it. My boyfriend's mom makes African stew with different types of greens and there's this one dish that I simply cannot eat without having to run to the bathroom the entire day. My boyfriend and his mom can eat it with no problem as they are used to eating lots of greens, but my digestive system cannot handle it.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a stomach bug to me, but also maybe kale just doesn't agree with you. Too much zucchini gives me indigestion,not an allergy or anything but just doesn't agree with me. It's worth testing again later, especially since you've had kale in a salad with no issues before.