Maintaining Net Calories!

Options
I am having issues filling my net calories throughout the day.
I find with the exercise that I do - even though it may only be 500 calorie burn - I have a hard time eating that back without eating junk.
What are some suggestions to fill up on healthy food - but enough to make up for the exercise?
I feel like I will have to eat all day everyday to make it up....

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods: nuts, dairy, peanut butter and toast, fruits [like bananas] can help fill in those gaps. Or you could spread out pre-eating your exercise calories earlier in the day, but allow for a post-workout snack.
  • mesmerina78
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is hummus with baby carrots and/or sliced cucumbers. Yogurt and strawberries can be good too. Make sure the yogurt is greek-style and fat-free, and add your own fruit. So yummy!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    My go-to is either an extra protein shake or a fruit smoothie. I do eat cashews or almonds on occasion, but usually not to fill caloric gaps. If I am eating at night to make sure I get a good minimum, I do a shake or a smoothie.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Some extra dairy is always a good place to start. Most women don't get enough calcium. One of my favorite treats is cottage cheese with canned pears, pineapple, peaches, or apricot on top (get the kind in light syrup or pear juice, not the heavy syrup). It's a sweet, creamy treat with lots of calcium, fiber, and vitamins.

Also check your protein to make sure you're getting enough. Bread and peanut butter is a good option (especially if it's wheat bread), or tossing some sliced meat on your salad, or even a protein shake if you like (just watch out for the ones that have tons of sugar in them).

It's also okay to reward yourself with a treat at the end of the day. One cookie or 1/4 c of ice cream or something could fill up some of those calories, and it won't ruin your diet to have some (and might make it easier to keep going in the long run!)
  • wiglitt
    wiglitt Posts: 22
    Options
    I eat almonds that I make ahead of time and pre-baggie for the week. My hubby also loves them and eats several of the servings a day. He is trying to gain.

1 egg white
    2 teaspoons cold water
    3 cups almonds
    1/2 cup Splenda/sucralose/sugar substitute
    1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
    2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

PREPARATION:
    Preheat oven to 250F. Spray a very light coat of Pam or cooking oil on a cookie sheet or baking stone. Add the water to the egg whites and lightly beat. Pour the almonds into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the egg white mixture until the almonds are coated. Sift together the sugar, salt and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the almonds. Mix until the almonds are thoroughly coated. Spread the almonds evenly on the pan in a single layer, then lightly dust the almonds with more cinnamon and sugar/Splenda. Bake for approximately 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.

NUTRITION:
    160 Calories, Calories from Fat 120, Carbs 6g............

They taste like candy to me. I love em.....

Hope this helps
  • lots_to_lose
    Options
    Thanks wiglitt for the almond recipe! I've been buying the Planter's Flavor Grove Cinnamon/Chocolate combo, but those are expensive! I assume it's probably cheaper to make them your way.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas :)