What is a good meal replacement mix?

Options
2»

Replies

• optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    would it be good to take before or after the gym?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Well, Snuggles, what would you call a meal replacement?

Protein powder plus milk would kinda have me good to go for hours. What more can you get from it?

Meal replacement shakes are made for that purpose...they have more of a balance of macros rather than being mostly protein, and they include vitamins and minerals, and usually more calories, because they're meant to replace a meal rather than supplement one.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    nycpips wrote: »
    would it be good to take before or after the gym?

either or, timing isn't really relevant at our level.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life RAW Meal. Tons of protein, fiber, vitamins, enzymes, probiotics, and other good stuff, from raw food sources. It's a bit pricey, but mixed with milk, or a milk alternative, it makes a great meal. I would add a bit of coconut oil for fat and PB2 for some additional flavor.

^ I agree about this protein mix. I used up all of mine and am now using a non vegan kind but the RAW garden Chocolate flavor is very good. I think it runs between 20 and 30 dollars for a tub of it. Amazon has better prices than Whole Foods where I bought it.

The last two containers I've bought have been the EAS Protein mix. I buy it from Walmart for less than 20. Anyway, I hope you find something you like. Best of luck.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Taste-wise, six star nutrition's vanilla creme whey protein, 1/2 cup frozen fruit, and a cup of water (or milk if you prefer) is my favourite shake. I try to sneak in some baby spinach (not enough to taste it, just a handful), and if I want to add fat, some natural peanut butter is great, especially with frozen strawberries. A lot of people add flax or chia seeds, I'm too cheap/lazy but it seems like a decent idea.

If I am having it post-workout, I use juice instead of water, to add carbs. Blueberries and orange juice go together really well.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    nycpips wrote: »
    I like those Carnation breakfast essentials. I usually take one package, cup of milk, some ice cubes and banana and throw it in my magic bullet and have that as I head out the door to work.

It is expensive though, 10 packages for 8 bucks. I would like something I could buy in bulk, maybe a tub of of something I am not familiar with, is there something someone else uses they could recommend?
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a scoop of Syntha6 vanilla protein powder and some ice. Can also add a half a banana or some glutamine post workout. MMMMmmm I swear by the Syntha and most Vitamin Shoppes have them. SO far I've had the peanut butter cookie flavor and now vanilla, would not wrong you in telling you they're fantastic!!! Mmmmm
  • BobTheMad
    BobTheMad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been curious about the 'Soylent' meal replacement product for a while. They claim that 3 servings a day provides 100% of the body's nutritional requirements.

...and no, I do not mean "Soylent Green" from the film. This is an actual product.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but I just got some of the Met-RX Protein & Oats protein mix because it was on sale at my local Vitamin Shoppe. Tastes pretty good and is reasonably filling thanks to the oats and decent amount of fiber (for the price).

Different protein mixes will contain varying amounts of vitamins/nutrients, so it all depends on what you're looking for in your diet. I wanted 25g of protein, at least 5g of fiber, and good flavor for ~200cals, and this does really good for the price. However, this bottle has 16 servings in it (according to the tub), which makes it 2x as expensive as your carnation breakfast. You could use one scoop (which would half the good stuff but only be 100 cals), which might make it a little cheaper.

All in all, the carnation mix isn't a bad price. And it's pretty much just chocolate milk, IMO, which will beat the flavor of any protein blend any day of the week. All depends on what you're looking for in a shake.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    BobTheMad wrote: »
    I have been curious about the 'Soylent' meal replacement product for a while. They claim that 3 servings a day provides 100% of the body's nutritional requirements.

...and no, I do not mean "Soylent Green" from the film. This is an actual product.

It only takes 4-5 months to get a new order!