Sugar sugar sugar sugar!!!!!

Options
I am literally addicted to sugar. And if I can't get sugar, I crave carbs. Last night I ate 750 calories in mike & Ike's... My dr. Has tested me for diabetes 3 times just the past year & they all came back negative.

1. Does anyone else feel like their body is telling them it NEEDS sugar?
2. Does sugar make you retain water/bloat??

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It must be a Friday!! LOL

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. No
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I like mangos
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am literally addicted to sugar. And if I can't get sugar, I crave carbs. Last night I ate 750 calories in mike & Ike's... My dr. Has tested me for diabetes 3 times just the past year & they all came back negative.

1) Yes, people with hypoglycemia

Do you have that?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

1. Yes, but it lies to me, and I must decide if I want to eat sugar, or not.
    2. No, but too many calories made me fat.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    literally.gif

tumblr_mvdny8FPVA1r3cqoco1_500.gif

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

She's hot bro
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201302/why-our-brains-love-sugar-and-why-our-bodies-dont

1. No
    2. No

By the way, why is someone who weighs only 107-lbs worried about her weight, unless you are worried about losing any more? You stated in another post you were once down to 85-lbs due to an eating disorder and you were in panic mode last month when you gained 2-lbs in a week. It sounds as if you have not entirely recovered from your eating disorder and need to see a doctor.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    It must be a Friday!! LOL

^^^This
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

She's hot bro

figuratively
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Butrovich wrote: »
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201302/why-our-brains-love-sugar-and-why-our-bodies-dont

1. No
    2. No

By the way, why is someone who weighs only 107-lbs worried about her weight, unless you are worried about losing any more? You stated in another post you were once down to 85-lbs due to an eating disorder and you were in panic mode last month when you gained 2-lbs in a week. It sounds as if you have not entirely recovered from your eating disorder and need to see a doctor.

This is a concern.

OP, IME it is common to perceive a craving for sugar or refined carbs generally if you are feeling low energy--tired or experiencing cycles of spike and crash due to an overconcentration of carbs in someone susceptible (you don't have to be insulin resistant to be susceptible to that) or perhaps because you are undereating in general.

I used to experience this a lot when I would eat high carb breakfasts or lunches and then feel like I needed a pick-me-up in the middle of the day, and I still sometimes get it when I let myself get overtired, although now that I'm more sensitive to the fact that I'm just tired I can usually ignore it or have a cup of coffee.

Given your history, though, I'd be concerned that you are maybe being too restrictive or that it might be a psychological reaction to restriction. I hope your doctor knows all the details, and good luck.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

1) Yes, people with hypoglycemia

Do you have that?

I'll have to check into that...it's very possible. My hormones, etc. were all pretty messed up at one point so I wouldn't be surprised. Thank you for NOT being rude
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    No and no........NOOOOOOOOOO
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It makes me sleepy, but only when I'm pregnant, apparently.
  • Sytye
    Sytye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah. But in my case it was because i was used to it. This happens especially when i come home from school, because i usually have a small lunch (bout 160 cals) and i will then be dying to have some food as my blood sugar will be low. Then i'll just have something to eat and drink tea till i don't crave carbs anymore.
  • DeanaLeflaive
    DeanaLeflaive Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have serious sugar cravings too and it makes me so cross... just give me chocolate... anything with sugar but then i have been in hospital for a while with brain probs so i think my hormones are qwite messd up... got a bit of an excuse... Hey! ;)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    1. Yes and no. I used to have cravings. Big cravings; if it wasn't chocolate, it was in the form of bread, breakfast cereals, and granola bars. Luckily, I don't have those cravings anymore since I went cold turkey on unrefined carbs. The only exception is when I'm stressed out with work or school, then I go out and look for anything sweet to consume.
    2. No. I only bloat when I eat too much or intake too much salt.