Which scale is the best scale? HELP APPRECIATED! :)

Recently I took a trip to the doctor & noticed that their scale (the old school sliding type, not digital) read 4 pounds lighter than my little battery-powered digital scale here at home. I know this because I weighed myself at home that morning right before leaving to go to the doctor, then when I got to the doctor I was weighed within minutes of arriving. As I said before, the difference was 4 whole pounds within the hour span of time.

So here's my question: Which scale should I go by? Do I use the doctor's scale because it's probably more accurate, or should I use my home scale because it's more accessible/readily available for each week's weigh-ins? I'm only visiting the doctor every few months, so that's the only time I'd be able to document my weight if I used that one.

I would love to know your thoughts!

Replies

• mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    did you see if the doctor's scale is properly calibrated? (does it balance when placed at zeros with no pressure on thier plate.)
    I'd say use the one you have at home because it is judging overall progress (the downward trend.) The bonus you get at the doctors is a bonus...
    four pounds...drink four glasses of water and you have "gained" your four pounds. so I don't take much stock in the number as much as the trend. Since the one at home is the one you have been consistant in using, I'd say stick with it!
  • mjterp wrote: »
    did you see if the doctor's scale is properly calibrated? (does it balance when placed at zeros with no pressure on thier plate.)
    I'd say use the one you have at home because it is judging overall progress (the downward trend.) The bonus you get at the doctors is a bonus...
    four pounds...drink four glasses of water and you have "gained" your four pounds. so I don't take much stock in the number as much as the trend. Since the one at home is the one you have been consistant in using, I'd say stick with it!

I believe it is calibrated, but not 100% sure. I got on it too quickly to see if it was absolutely balanced. But, thank you! I was thinking the home one would be better, but was curious to see what my fellow MFP-ers had to say! :)
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    BFDeal, I have been drooling over the Fitbit Aria for a while....But the "do I log, don't I log" is a done deal for me...if I weigh in, I log it. Like you said, my goal is the trend.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Doesn't matter. You stick with one so you can see the trend
  • I_can_do_this2
    I_can_do_this2 Posts: 294 Member
    mjterp wrote: »
    I agree completely - it's the trend you're looking for.

• Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    .i would use your scale as it is more accessible and you are supposed to weigh first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom naked :blush: I bought the Fitbit aria back in September and when i put 40lb dumbells on it it said 40 lbs,however my scale i was replacing only said 37 lbs, so it had been wrong all along. The next morning i weighed on both and the Aria said 126.3 and my old one only said 123, boy was i bummed !! lol Anyways, i would just go with the one you have access to every day. :smile:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    The doctor's scale is probably more accurate because there is a government agency that periodically measures their accuracy. However, it is unlikely that your home scale will be off by four pounds unless it is old and the springs are worn out in it. The four pound difference is likely due to some other factor, such as wearing different clothing, consuming food between measurements, or using the scale improperly. My bathroom scale is always off by 4.4 lbs when it is uneven. If yours is like mine, it will error out after giving you a high reading, but then it will correct itself and give you a correct weight if you step on it again.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    SO, not exactly an answer to your question about accuracy, but I was at my sis's this weekend and she has a Tanita scale that weighs, gives an estimated body fat %, and other body comp measurements. I know it's not completely accurate, btu I loved getting all that data. It's a very cool scale.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Doctor scales are never calibrated right. Seriously, ever. I always go by my digital at home. I've also noticed that the non-digital types, doctor or at home ones, are lower. I would stick to the one you're used to weighing on.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    It doesn't matter which scale you use as long as you're consistently using that same scale to track your progress. If you're going to be using your scale at home weekly, just go by that scale.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Also, try to put the scale on a level surface, and keep it in the same place.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I have a really old scale (not digital) from when I kid. It still works. I also use a digital. The digital is off by one pound exactly. I would a scale that you are going to use every day and use that one scale. This way you will know if a pound is a pound. To get accurate weigh I found that a hospital or doctor scale is off a much as 2 -3 pounds but I always have my shoes on.

Weigh at home same scale and naked every time!
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    The doctor's scale is probably more accurate because there is a government agency...

Made me chuckle a bit
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    When it comes to metrics, consistency is the key. At the risk of sounding cliche, your weight is just a number, so it doesn't matter if the scale is 'right' as long as it's able to tell which direction that number is going.
  • Thank you everyone for your help! I ended up going with my home scale as it's something I have access to. I look forward to the TREND downward, I hope! ;)

Happy holidays!
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    I have one that comes up to my chest with a round head, anyways mine differs from doctors 4 pds also. 4 heavier at doctors. just saying...