More knee problems

Options
So, I posted in the past about tweaking my knee a bit from restarting my fitness journey. I've been working out 3-4 times a week for about a month now (*pats self on back*) and have realised I can't get on the treadmill without it really screwing with my knee. Instead, I've been utilising the elliptical and bike.

I started getting back into circuit training this week and leg day was last night. Most of the machines were okay except for the leg extension where you start off sitting with your knees bent and... well, extend. Yeah, learned quickly that machine is not going to work out at all.

My question is: what machines/exercises can I use to strengthen my knee? I've chronic injuries in both my knees and ankles from sports but don't want to just forget about them.

Replies

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have some knee issues too. Rest seems to be the only real help, but that doesn't get me to my fitness goals. I took two months off from running recently, but now I'm back in the game. I avoid heavy strength exercises that affect my knees, but I'm back up to aboutt 12+ miles per week. I wear a knee strap on my right knee and a wide knee band on the left, and I ice after each run just to avoid any swelling that might occur.

I'd like to hear whatever advice you might get. It may help me out too.
  • meeyuh
    meeyuh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @SLHysell - I think I really need to start wearing a knee brace, actually. Does that help you at all? I'll wrap it once I get home from working out and put some Absorbine Jr (or Tiger Balm if I'm feeling frisky :# ) on it, but it's back to hurting the next day.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I had some knee issues that were related to my patella having calcium built up on it. It's a common disease in active teens. It kept with me through my early twentys. I wore braces and straps but eventually my knees got better as I lost weight and improved their strength. I no longer have issues except not being able to kneel on them on hard surfaces.

I knew what my issue was though so it was easier to work with. It might be worth visiting the doctor just to see what they say. Especially if it continues. The knee brace sleeves may help stabilize your knees until they build up more strength. Worth a shot if you are tight on cash. Your doctor may get you a custom knee brace if you have real issues. I had one when I was younger and I believe insurance paid part of it. You can also google physical therapy exercises to try out.

Definitely ice them if you are sore after exercise.

I feel like I rambled on about senseless stuff...hope you find something helpful!

Good luck!!!
  • meeyuh
    meeyuh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @esjones12 - definitely not senseless! All of that was very informative, and something I'm going to check with my doc next time I go. I'm assuming he did an x-ray? Thank you so much!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cycling, cycling, cycling. Best thing for a bad knee. I like you, cannot use the treadmill, even just to walk. I've done it 2x and both times ended up in rehab. I can run 15 miles outside though and walk forever. My therapist also said to be careful with the leg extension machine you mentioned. But since my last graduation from rehab, I've been able to use it with no problems. The other thing that is important for knee injuries is to strengthen your core muscles. Weaknesses there can cause knee problems. My therapist told me that if there is one thing I should do, is to keep up with my core work. I don't miss a day now and my knees are doing fine.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Cycling is most likely one of the best things to do when there is a knee injury. One reason is that it is a no impact exercise. If you are cycling the correct way you are making circles wit the peddles. Also, you would need a proper fitted bike. A bike that was not fitted to you can cause knee problems. If you ride a road bike enough (3xper week march-October) you will find you will develop the tear drop muscle. The tear drop muscle will help stabilize your knee. The next thing would be swimming. It is another non-impact exercise. When you go for months of no pain and you really need to get on a tread mill, use the lowest resistance. If you think you need to do leg extensions, use very light weights and then increase the reps. If you are biking enough you probably do not need the weights
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP--knees notorious for lack of blood flow so ice seems to help and frequently. One way to alleviate the stress of the knee on the extension is to either adjust the bottom of the seat or the back(if available). Slightly lighter weight and adjustments seem to provide less stress on the joint. Best of luck.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    So much varied advice here. My suggestion is to see a physical therapist to learn what exercises you can do to strengthen your leg muscles to support your knees. KT tape has also helped me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    meeyuh wrote: »
    @esjones12 - definitely not senseless! All of that was very informative, and something I'm going to check with my doc next time I go. I'm assuming he did an x-ray? Thank you so much!

I don't believe my knees were ever x-rayed. I think I've had every other party of my body x-rayed lol. But yeah...I always recommend a doctor visit. Especially if you have insurance. A small co-pay is better safe than sorry. If it's related to old injuries he will probably send you to see a PT (insurance probably won't let you do much without some PT anyways).

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, any exercises that put strain on my knees/legs specifically leave me feeling pained for a few days after, especially after leg extensions, lunges, stair master, and the treadmill. So I have been biking and swimming, and one thing that I do not neglect is squats! Squats that are parallel or a little lower have helped my knee strength tremendously because it strengthens the surrounding muscles to help support the knees, as per what my Dr. said.

As much as I would love to lunge, do the leg extension, pistol squat etc, we have to listen to our bodies and do the best for it.
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    Another advocate for cycling here. Had 2 knee ops and 1 day I will need a replacement due to the arthritis, but since I started cycling the deterioration has slowed down and I'm even back skiing. I avoid running too much but have done a few 5ks. Start off slowly and learn to spin at quite a high rate before building up the resistance (or hills if outside), but once you get fitter... hit those hills....the steeper the better!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just a little side-track here.. I had a knee injury last year and my physical therapist advised against the eltiptical. He said it wasn't a natural motion while using the eltiptical and easy to injure the knee.

I definitely think you are headed in a good direction to build strength. I would think with previous injuries it would be best to work with a professional on how and how quick to build.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if it hasn't already been mentioned, get some knee sleeves and make sure your knees are really warmed up before hitting the weights or any exercises.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Today, my orthopedist said no more brace or crutches after a broken leg at the upper tibia in mid-October. When I bend my knees, my good one is all the way to my hamstring, but the healing one is still stiff and only goes to seated bend. My doctor cleared me for everything except high impact and bicycling outside. He said the stationary bike was ok and just to watch if anything didn't feel good and then stop it.

I find that aqua exercise gives me the most bang for my buck. I have full range of motion in the water with the bad leg and the next day I'm still flexible.

Tonight I'm going to an aqua workout and tomorrow to Aqua Zumba, then I'll probably start back at my land group exercise classes.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    VastBreak wrote: »
    Just a little side-track here.. I had a knee injury last year and my physical therapist advised against the eltiptical. He said it wasn't a natural motion while using the eltiptical and easy to injure the knee.

I definitely think you are headed in a good direction to build strength. I would think with previous injuries it would be best to work with a professional on how and how quick to build.

Actually this is interesting, I did notice that when I used the elliptical for extended period over 20 minutes, the next day I would feel sore/swollen like how I would if I were running and I wasn't sure why. So I've quit the elliptical for a few months and just stuck to stationary and outside bicycling and swimming and feel better.

• fire7ice
    Options
    I think you should get professional advice... what works for one person may not work for another. I was given a long list by my doctor of what I shouldn't do because of my knee injury... which made me wonder what on earth I could do! Though even the exercises I was told I could do... sometimes didn't do my knee any good.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I want my back and joints to last so if something hurts them I just don't do it - simple compound workouts at home and lots of walking - not much to brag about, but being fit and painfree is awesome
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Been plagued with bad knees for many years--I've had to learn, by experimentation, what works (but it may not work for everyone). Four things that a number of people have reported and which seem to work for me: 1) You want to make sure that your leg muscles (and your core muscles as well) are in balance. I do the machine that strengthens the hamstrings which are in opposition to the quadriceps (which get really tight from cycling) and that really seems to help a lot--wish I had discovered it a long time ago. 2) Making sure you avoid being dehydrated at all times. A physiotherapist once told me that, "When joints get dry, they are much more prone to injury." 3) Female athletes have ten times the number of injuries to the AC ligament in the knee, compared to male athletes. I tore my ACL, in my right leg, a number of years ago and it has been the source of the most acute pain since. Because women's hips are wider in proportion to the length of the femur, there is a lot more pressure on the AC ligament (on the inside of the knee). To avoid injury, strengthening all structures in the knee is a good idea. It is very important to keep the knee from "wobbling" from side to side. That is why a knee support garment works too--it keeps that from happening. 4) Repeated strains and stresses probably lead to arthritic changes in the knees (it is not clear whether chronic inflammation causes those changes or whether the chronic inflammation is a reaction to continuous mechanical stress on the structures of the knee). There are natural supplements that can help combat the problem (and which I take) : turmeric extract (an herbal anti-inflammatory); bone broth (there are recipes on the web) a source of Type II collagen (very important to the health of knee cartilage). I take a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement but I think the bone broth has been the most helpful. There are supplements (very $$$) which can be a source of Type II collagen too, if it is inconvenient to make bone broth. I take them when I go on a trip or something.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to get an assessment on what exercises WILL work effectively. This is usually done with a PT or an orthopedist.
    Personally for me, tendinitis has been the issue for my left knee and both elbows (golfer's and tennis). Once I warm up sufficiently, it's not bad or even the day after. It's usually when I have to start "cold" (like performing an exercise to show a client) that "stings".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • burtonvdp
    burtonvdp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bike (for me) works the best not to aggravate my knees. I still do leg curls and extensions BUT I do low weights. 3 sets of 15 and I dont start to feel a burn till the last 2 or 3 per every set. I dont get super big legs this way but keeping the muscles around the knee strong will help your knees out a lot. I would rest your knees till they are not inflamed and hurting then do really LOW weights and bike.