Extreme Salt Sensitivity?

Options
Hi, I'm nineteen years old, female, 5'6, and fluctuate between 102-104 pounds. According to BMI charts, I'd be classified as underweight, which makes sense considering I've struggled with anorexia and binge eating episodes in the past. As a step towards recovery, I've been maintaining my weight for about a year now, just to get used to allowing myself different foods I previously would avoid eating. However, I've noticed that whenever I exceed my recommended sodium intake, I experience severely uncomfortable side effects - my skin becomes sore to the touch (mainly abdomen and legs), my glands feel swollen, I get extremely thirsty during the night, and all around I just feel very nauseous and bloated. On an average day I'll consume around 2,000 mg of sodium. However, yesterday, for instance, I consumed 2,771 mg (271 mg over my goal of 2,500), and today I am experiencing these side effects, despite my calories staying at 1,600 (my maintenance goal).
I understand that excess salt intake will leave one feeling bloated and thirsty, but I feel like 300mg over goal for one day shouldn't make me feel THIS bad.
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? Is this something I should be concerned about? Do you know what causes this? Is this normal?
I was thinking it could be related to my anorexia, but I have been in maintenance for over a year now eating more normal foods so I don't see how this should still be affecting me...

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hi, your story sounds familiar. In 2004 is was classified as anorexic. I am now trying to get back to 110. Read my profile.

10 years have past and now I am just beating the 40's right now. I too can eat a tsp of salt and I will gain 3 lbs over night. Salt is not my friend. I try to stay within 2000 mg of salt. If I over do it, I am so uncomfortable I will drink 1/2 gallon water next day and sometimes a diuretic to release it. It is horrible and I promise you, I am salt addict more over than anyone that is a chocolate addict. I no longer cook or add it to my food except potatoes. In my mind potatoes no matter what kind or how they are cooked are not meant for NO SALT.

Salt will NOT kill you but it does come with a price such as pain, discomfort, bloating, skin feels tacky, your face swells, your feet swells, your tummy looks like your 6 months pregnant, you get the message.... hehe.

And yes I have this same problem. If you follow what I do, I promise you will feel 1000 times better. Remember you do need sodium in your diet. Not adding it to my food at the table or cooking with sodium free foods has made an insane difference.

Processed food (cereal, chips, soups, canned veggies, frozen veggies, etc..) and fast food, all have insane amounts on sodium. Just remember when you eat out, you max sodium in one meal.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You should see a Dr.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm hypersensitive and sodium causes me some problems too. I've never been underweight, so it probably isn't related there in my case. My doctor says I'm fine and that I should just avoid sodium if it bothers me - I reduced my goal to 1500 a day to give myself a lot of room to not feel crappy. Might not be related, so I'd see a doctor anyway, but I get similar issues when I have too much salt (pain, bloating, excessive thirst) and there is nothing wrong with me. Get it checked out, but don't panic too much.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i'd be curious as to what happens with your blood pressure when you're feeling like that...if it would be noticeably higher than usual. might wanna get that checked out to be on the safe side
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    are you drinking a ton of water as well during the day? it might be dehydration as well.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I always carry around a liter water bottle with me, and fill it pretty frequently, so I can't imagine it being dehydration. But thanks everyone, you have all been incredibly helpful!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well you are still restricting and underweight, so it makes sense that you are still vulnerable. If you can work yourself back up to a BMI of about 19 you should experience some very big improvements.