Kettlebells...

Options
Alright y'all...I just read a really great article about kettlebells and I'm wondering who here uses them. I'm interested in learning more about them and hoping to start using them. But I could use some help/suggestions on them...How do I go about using them? Are there videos out there that I can purchase? Just look up routines online? What do you do?!?! Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have been using kettle bells for just over a year, and absolutely LOVE them!

While there are plenty of videos out there that you can buy, or find on youtube, I don't recommend starting out with them. For every good video, you will find a dozen that are bad - horrible technique, and just wrong information.

If you are really wanting to learn how to use them correctly, I recommend finding a qualified instructor in your area. My trainer is Stongfirst certified, and I would highly suggest finding one of their instructors in your area. The credentials for the person would include them being SFG I or II. If you can't find a Strongfirst instructor, an RKC certified instructor would be another good way to go.

Both organizations were founded by the same person, but have slightly different philosophy. RKC is the older organization. As it became popular, and grew, there developed a difference in opinion between the founder and some of the other higher ups about how to successfully move forward. Because of that, the founder broke off, and started Strongfirst. When it comes to learning the basic moves, and proper mechanics of using kettle bells, the two organizations teach basically the same thing. Where they begin to differ is when you start looking at more advanced progressions, and the best way to get from point A to point B.

Take a few classes from someone with either certification to learn the basics properly, and then decide if you want to find some training videos to use at home on your own. They really are a simple, yet effective tool if you know how to properly use them. If you don't - well, just like any other weight training program, you will get yourself hurt. Simple doesn't mean easy, and it's best to just learn the right way from the beginning.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

52347977.png
  • CountryGal83
    CountryGal83 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you SOOOOO much!!! You ROCK! **high five**
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Great answer above. I'll just say I've been taking a kettle bell class for the past several months and love it. The instructor starts each class by breaking down the proper form for the basic swing, even when we've all done the class before. It's a fun way to get fit. I bought one for home use as well.
  • CountryGal83
    Options
    I will have to look and see if there are any classes in my area. I don't want to do it wrong and get injured!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    See above about getting with a certified instructor. Even one session will do wonders for a beginner.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    do kettlebells do things that dumbbells cannot? i'm not knowledgeable in the area, and i want to choose my future weight equipment intelligently.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't think that it is that they do things dumbbells cannot, but that they do things differently. With kettle bells, the weight is offset, since it is basically a cannon ball with a handle, instead of balanced, like a dumbbell. Because of that, it generates different types of forces on your body as you are using them, than dumbbells would produce.

For instance, the average female should be able to start out swinging a 12 kg (26.4 lb) kettle bell. It doesn't sound like a lot of weight, but due to the g-forces on the kettle bell while you are swinging it, it actually can approximate moving a weight that is 4-5 times greater. In the example I gave, of a 12 kg bell, that would be approximately 48-60 kg or 105.6-132 pounds. That is part of what helps to make them so effective.

In fact, the reasons I love kettle bells are because they are so effective with lower amounts of weight than using dumbbells. You can get a great full body workout with only one or two bells, depending upon what you are doing with them. They don't take up a lot of space when not in use. They are quite simply, a lot of fun!

After only working out with kettle bells for just over a year, I asked my trainer about adding some barbell work into my program as well. Three weeks ago, I started doing deadlifts for the first time ever. The first day I did them, I pulled 195 lb, which was just over bodyweight for me, and it was EASY! Since then, I have gotten up to 225 lb, and still feel as if I am not even close to what my max pull would be. And, it's all because of the base strength I have been able to build using kettle bells.

The other cool thing? They have helped me to lose just over 80 pounds!

Just like any other workout, they do have their limitations, but for me, the benefits far outweigh them. It's all about what you like to do. You may try them and decide they aren't for you, or you may become as enthralled with them as I have.

52347977.png
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    do kettlebells do things that dumbbells cannot? i'm not knowledgeable in the area, and i want to choose my future weight equipment intelligently.

From how I understand it's because the center of gravity is in a different location. You use centrifugal force, which you really don't do with a dumbbell. The kettlebell swing, for example, would be different if you were to hold a dumbbell and swing it out in front of you.

I really like working with kettlebells.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    sounds like something i should ask for when valentine's day comes around!
  • carencae
    carencae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like Kettlebells too. I use the ones that are bags filled with iron sand. Less likely to break my foot if I drop the bell! I like Zuska Light on you tube. She tells you about your form and safety issues. Tonight I will do Jillian Micheals shred it with weights. It will be my first time so wish me luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Great advice by epido.

Oddly enough, while I don't actually do typical KB workouts myself, I train people at a mostly KB gym( I use other forms of training) but I have no pproblems recommending KB's to people. Also as it can't be over stated, make sure the instructor is properly certified by RKC or SF.
  • CountryGal83
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm hoping to find one that is near me.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Google RKC or SF certified gyms/trainers in your area and you should be able to find a gym/trainer that has classes. I go once a week to a RKC gym and then the rest of the week I do my own thing. It's good to go regularly to make sure you're keeping good form, as well as they have more KBs for me to throw around. The KBs that I have right now are good, but almost useless bc I can throw around a higher weight now.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I do Tracy Reifkind's DVDs. It is just plain old RKB swing. It kicks my butt. Super high calorie burn and then DOMS for days. Love it.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Here's a great resource for KB's and for a lot of other things as well. http://www.exrx.net/Lists/KettlebellExercises.html
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    IMO, and as others have indicated, kettlebells differ from traditional free weights in a few ways. Dumbells/Barbells were created with isolation exercises in mind. They give you a very stable form of weight, easy to distribute evenly, and allowing you to easily isolate particular muscles or muscle groups. kettlebells, due to their design, create a good bit of dynamic instability. Meaning... there's a lot of swinging, balancing, etc. This brings in to play little muscles that probably don't get used as often in traditional dumbbell/barbell isolation exercises. Obviously there's some overlap here, and there's ways to use either type of weight for both methods, but what I think kettlebells do is a little more like the "real world". If you were to be lifting heavy items in your work place, or something like that, things aren't often as stable and isolated as they are in the gym with traditional weights. If you've ever unloaded a truck, or helped a friend move, you know what I am talking about.

The other thing, that I think is different in the design and use between these two types of weights, is that kettlebells are very minimalist (and inexpensive). With just 1 or 2 kettlebells, you can do a large number of varying exercises, targeting your entire body at once, or a particular area of muscles, without changing the weights. You could do some of this with traditional weights as well, but I don't think as completely or easily.

I keep my kettlebell components very simple... swings, squats, lunges, clean and press, and maybe "halos" and "round the worlds". Obviously you could greatly expand on that if you wanted to, but those are what I use them for. Good luck with them.
  • CleverClone
    CleverClone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but I'll say it again; find a certified instructor and take some classes with them to make sure you get your form right. Just make sure they really are certified, just because they are holding a kettlebell class does not mean they know what they are doing (I have seen things that will haunt my dreams...).

If you want more information on correct form you can search books/DVDs by Pavel Tsatsouline, Lauren Brooks, Steve Cotter etc.
    I workout at home, and have found it's good to have a "cheat sheet" at hand in case you want to quickly review technique for something, so the books have been invaluable.

But yes, start with a trainer and go from there. :smile:
  • AgnesXNitt
    Options
    Concur with all the advice above. I did a course with my Powerhoop instructor (and if you have a class near you of that I recommend it too!) and I really enjoyed it. Now I have replaced a gym session with a kettlebell class, partly for variety and partly because I enjoy it. According to MFP I can burn 400+ calories in my 45 min session and our instructor keeps us moving throughout so I can believe it. She's been poorly the last fortnight so I have been taking the Body Sculpt class instead which is less calorie burn but by gum its a workout!
    Hope you find a good class near you - I'm still using a 4kg bell and its enough right now. I can manage all the moves and exercises without struggling but with enough weight/resistance to know I'm getting a workout.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    carencae wrote: »
    I like Kettlebells too. I use the ones that are bags filled with iron sand. Less likely to break my foot if I drop the bell! I like Zuska Light on you tube. She tells you about your form and safety issues. Tonight I will do Jillian Micheals shred it with weights. It will be my first time so wish me luck!

I beg of you, don't do Jillian Michaels. That woman has no business teaching kettlebells, her form is horrific and will get you injured.

Stick with RKCs, like mentioned above. I used Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell DVDs when I was learning. Lauren Brooks is good too.

You'll also find some people who do "american" style kettlebells-via Crossfit. There's also another style of kettlebell called Girevoy style-which is competition style. With all of them, form is key. (although I personally have a hard time with crossfit all around, but that's for a different thread :-) )
  • CountryGal83
    Options
    Loving the feedback. Thanks everyone! I did a search in my area for a certified trainer...no luck :/ Going to ask my cousin if maybe he knows anyone. He knows a lot of people in the fitness world around here.