How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Just wondering. I am thinking of only weighing myself once a month, straight after that thing has ended (sorry, tmi)- that's the only time I get a loss.....the rest I gain waterweight

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Once a week.
  • Honey_Dew14
    Options
    every fortnight
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Daily. My personal trainer also recommends it daily. How else to you create the association of what and how much you eat and exercise with whether it results in weight gain or loss. Weighing in once a month is like driving your car only looking in the rear view mirror.
  • Rocket_Man44
    Options
    Once a week
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Daily. My personal trainer also recommends it daily. How else to you create the association of what and how much you eat and exercise with whether it results in weight gain or loss. Weighing in once a month is like driving your car only looking in the rear view mirror.

Because weight loss is not linear and daily fluctuations sometimes mess with a person's head. As long as there is a consistent trend how often you weigh in is inconsequential.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, knowing full well that fluctuations will occur. But I update MFP with my weight and measurements (waist-at-navel & hips), only every 2 weeks or so.

I am ready to forgive PMS-driven fluctuations, but it's easier for me to keep myself honest if I'm checking in daily.
  • nagennif918
    nagennif918 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Daily for me works. Apart from weight (fat) loss I am also monitoring small fluctuations in weight that result from fluid retention from salt intake and, my stress levels and also general hydration levels. Depends on what you are you are monitoring for I guess. What ever works for you.
  • _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Weigh Daily - track weekly average changes to spread out fluctuation impact.
  • mcquilka
    mcquilka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, although when I get mad at the scale i put it away for a few days. sometimes it ends up a being a week or two. (especially during that time*) keeps me sane when the numbers dont want to move.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log daily.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    This should be a permanent thread. Its asked just about every day. Do whatever suits you, there isnt a right answer other than to know the pros and cons of each method and not get too wound up about the scale. Dont forget to use other measures as well incluing the tape measure and if you are exercising then peformance measures for fitness.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    daily but only record it once a week
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Daily
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Weigh and record on MFP daily, but I only check in w/ my training group 1x/week. I don't really have a reason for weighing myself daily, I just like the graph and the data.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, sometimes twice a day. I only do this to closely monitor how my body fluctuates based on my diet and activities. I don't get frustrated if I'm +3 lbs from one day to the next....it just helps me learn my body. I'd say if the fluctuations in weight can be frustrating to you and could put you at risk for giving up, once a month is a good idea. One warning: if you are doing something wrong like eating too much or burning too little, you run the risk of not finding out for several weeks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Few days per week...but I would only recommend weighing in that often if you understand natural fluctuations and aren't going to flip out because you gained a little water weight or have a little excess waste in your system.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Almost daily, but wont bother if I've had any sort of food/alcohol related blow-out in the previous 2 days. Its obvious you will get fluctuations but rather have them daily and see a pattern than weekly and have to wait a week or more to know the trend!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    daily - like to see the fluctuations

also started logging daily so I can see the trend
  • TannerBoyl
    TannerBoyl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily just for the simple fact that I like to know how certain foods/beverages affect my body. For example, I know that if I drink alcohol, my body will retain water for up to four days. Is this useful information? I think so. It usually stops me from drinking alcohol in the middle of the week.