Getting Burned Out?

Options
After a nearly 50 pound loss with only 7 pounds to go before I reach my goal, I feel like I'm getting burned out with all the weighing/measuring/logging. Maybe because it's Christmas and I watched the kids drink real hot chocolate last night, and I was craving a bowl of cereal in the worst way but couldn't have either because I hit my calories for the day...

I'm confident I'll reach my goal by the end of January, but lately I've been getting fed up and just feel like having a snack - and not being able to is kinda bumming me out.

Oh - and I have 2 holiday parties to go to this week, so it's important to me not to treat myself to anything prior to that so when I go I can enjoy myself without freaking out.

So - my questions is: When you're so close to your goal, how do you stay motivated?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lower weekly goal loss to 0.5lb a week - more calories and better rate of loss
    exercise - more calories, changing up programme to stop boredom
    don't eat all my calories on days when I don't feel like eating them
    watch my calories over the week
    have something that I crave like hot chocolate, possibly lower calorie than kids versions, out of my calorie savings
    remember where I was and that I don't want to go back
  • blainebrain
    blainebrain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation! I just try to remember how I felt when I was fat vs how I feel now being able to wear whatever I want. I have a vacation planned soon, so I have that to look forward to. I need to keep it up to wear a bathing suit :) Maybe book a vacation to keep you motivated?
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Smaller goals and change up your routine. I remember getting burned out with P90X, so I would continue to work out with a different program.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Tracy, maybe you're afraid that giving yourself some latitude is the same as quitting but they are two distinctly different things. It seems there is a part of us that screams for perfection and anything less is a total failure in our minds. Truthfully there is a balance and I would encourage you to allow a little loosening of the self-imposed boundaries. I guess that doesn't answer your questions about motivation but you might find that allowing occasional treats does motivate you to "earn" them back through exercise. Best of luck to you!
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have 3 pounds to go, and I don't have a vacation looming. I decided to change over my calories to maintenance for the holidays, because I know I'm not going to be able to lose anything. This way, I don't feel guilty about "going over," but can help avoid gaining. There is something to be said for maintaining a weight, as well, especially so near the end.
    Good luck!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    My primary goal when I started this was to be able to wear shorts in public this summer :)

Switching to maintenance over the holidays sounds like a great idea! Now if only I can figure out what my maintenance calories are??

My stats are:
    Height: 5' 7.5
    weight: 162
    Goal Weight: between 150/155
    Current calories are 1200 and I've been losing 1 to 2 pounds a week steadily.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Time for a diet breat....not meaning go all out and eat all the food but Put your calories to maintenance.

^^^^ didn't see this :)

I would up my calories to 2000 for a start.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I recently took a nearly 4 week break to eat at maintenance. My plan had been to eat at maintenance through the holidays and January. I've been losing since January and have lost 52 pounds. I had taken 3 one week breaks over the 11 months when I lost that but I was kind of burnt out and just needed a longer break. Anyway, I started the longer break with the intention of taking a really long break and after a few weeks I felt so much better. Now I'm back to eating in a deficit and, besides splurging a bit at a couple of upcoming holiday parties, I plan to stick with it while I work on the next 10 pounds. That break really did make me feel a lot better and gave me back the "oomph" I needed to push forward.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    When I get this way, I take a week off from the gym, just as I take vacation from work a couple times a year.

During that vacation, I rebuild my excitement and desire to keep going. I plan out my next month of workouts, generating all my lifting numbers, etc and writing them out in my workout journal that I bring with me. I wash ALLLLLLLLLL my 3 loads of workout clothes. I plan meals and go grocery shopping. I take the whole week without guilt, because that rest is allowing me to keep going longer. It's planned, so im not failing.

REST is just equally as important as Nutrition, Cardio and Strength.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Smaller deficit. And I allow myself treats.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet, but after 6 successful months, also feeling a little burnout.

There are many great tips in this thread.
    A planned rest sounds great.
    Smaller deficit.
    Add in some time to review your goals, review where you've been. Looking at old photos is always an inspiration to me.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    My BMR is 1429, and my TDEE is 1715 - which seems like a lot of calories. Maybe I'll split the difference and aim for 1500 - 1550? I don't want to gain weight...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Go to maintenance for awhile. This usually will help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you're that close to goal, you should be
    My BMR is 1429, and my TDEE is 1715 - which seems like a lot of calories. Maybe I'll split the difference and aim for 1500 - 1550? I don't want to gain weight...

Did you include exercise in your TDEE calculation? 1715 calories isn't a lot of calories by any means. The average female maintains (TDEE) on 1800 - 2000 calories without much in the way of deliberate exercise. My wife is 5'2" and maintains on around 2300 calories with her activity level.

At any rate, as you approach your goal your deficit should become smaller and less aggressive...with so little to lose you shouldn't be trying to lose anymore than about 1/2 Lb per week...about 2 Lbs per month or so.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Did you include exercise in your TDEE calculation? 1715 calories isn't a lot of calories by any means. The average female maintains (TDEE) on 1800 - 2000 calories without much in the way of deliberate exercise. My wife is 5'2" and maintains on around 2300 calories with her activity level.

At any rate, as you approach your goal your deficit should become smaller and less aggressive...with so little to lose you shouldn't be trying to lose anymore than about 1/2 Lb per week...about 2 Lbs per month or so.

I don't exercise at all. That's right...I lost 48 pounds by eating at a deficit and watching Netflix :wink:

I'm just so used to eating between 1200/1300 that 1700 seems totes craycray!!

• DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk and earn that treat :p
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    DPernet wrote: »
    Go for a walk and earn that treat :p

Clearly you don't live in the Northeast lololol

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Well, it may be a few days before you can get outside.... unless you are a duck.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, with your TDEE at 1715, eating that much should not cause you to gain weight. If it seems like too much food and you're not hungry, eat less.
    I'll be perfectly happy if I end up under my calorie goal some days, and if I'm a few over, I'm not going to sweat it. I'm looking to learn how to eat for the rest of my life. Some days will be better than others. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't exercise at all. That's right...I lost 48 pounds by eating at a deficit and watching Netflix :wink:

I'm just so used to eating between 1200/1300 that 1700 seems totes craycray!!

I think shooting for about 1500 calories is good...it would still result in slow weight loss (which is what you should be trying to do now). 1700 TDEE is your theoretical maintenance...you wouldn't want to eat maintenance if you still wanted to lose some weight...but you can definitely up your calories and enjoy yourself more and still lose weight slowly.