Anyone use the Garmin Vivofit?

Options
I got one this past Friday as an early Christmas present from my family, and wonder if anyone else uses one and what you think of it? I love it so far. :)

Replies

• 1jenandtonic
    1jenandtonic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you like it! I'm researching heart rate monitors right now-- does the Vivofit have an interval timer?
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Love mine
  • Nanee5_12
    Nanee5_12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It has a clock, date, steps, goal, calories burned and can be used with the garmin HRM, but I didn't get that. Those that I have seen that use it with it says they work well together.
  • r1skbreak3r
    r1skbreak3r Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got mine yesterday - I'm seeing if I can replace a Fitbit One+Polar HRM with one device. My usual method is to sync my Fitbit with MFP, and add my cardio exercise manually using data from the Polar. In theory I thought the Garmin would eliminate the need to do any manual input, but it doesn't quite work like that.

The HRM integration is quite basic, with the display showing heart rate only. My polar calculates optimum zones, but tbh I don't really use that. One thing I do use is the ability to pause my workout, which the Garmin can't do. This is because I play at a local badminton club where I'm there for 2 hours, but not necessarily playing all that time. When I'm not playing, I pause it so I don't get additional calories added.

Once you finish your workout, the data syncs to the Garmin app, which is nice to see with a graph of how your heart rate varied over the course of the workout. It does sync to MFP but appears as a generic "walking" entry. I can't modify it to say "Badminton" or whatever.

The other thing is that MFP takes your Fitbit steps into account and has a deduction/addition depending on what your actual calorie burn was. It doesn't do this with the Garmin, so having the two sync together isn't that helpful.

I will continue to use the Garmin for a while at least, as it's a nice looking device and I like some of the features, but I'm thinking I probably should try the new Fitbits with HRM when they are available.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    @r1skbreak3r I believe that you can turn on an option to have the MFP and Garmin Connect do a calorie adjustment (and I think it takes steps into consideration). I have mine turned off, b/c I just want to see my exercise calories not my exercise + step calories. I'm sure if you google/search the MFP boards you can find out how to turn that option on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    This is because I play at a local badminton club where I'm there for 2 hours, but not necessarily playing all that time. When I'm not playing, I pause it so I don't get additional calories added.

Well using an HRM to guestimate calorie expenditure in something like badminton isn't going to provide a meaningful assessment anyway.

Doesn't matter that it's a Vivofit, it's the wrong tool for the job.

• r1skbreak3r
    r1skbreak3r Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, the garmin does sync steps with MFP, as long as it's the only device connected to your account! My issue was that I still had my Fitbit linked so the calorie adjustment was coming from that instead. Once I got rid of that, it was fine.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    the hohoman came through.. now what do I do?
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think your calorie counter is accurate? I got a striiv touch and I feel its off.
  • kimod824
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how to get the calories inputed on mfp to show on the vivofit?
  • jerber160
    Options
    kimod824 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to get the calories inputed on mfp to show on the vivofit?
    I'm thinking the reverse.. how does the garmin sync show up on mfp??? I'm all hooked up.. so that's good but really don't know what to do now. and this sleep thing that keeps track of movement in your sleep? I always knew I was a thrasher but Yoi!

• jerber160
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ok. I just got red-lined. I'm at work and things are slow. I walked around the room for about .1 mile and it went out. this is strange
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    a mile? or a minute?
  • jerber160
    Options
    a mile? or a minute?

point one (0.1) mile
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    That's about right for an early reset, but it'll learn your patterns and increase the threshold
    D over time.
  • tomgrasso
    tomgrasso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am confused...why is it the more steps I have on my vivofit the less of a calorie deficit I'm accumulating??
  • jerber160
    Options
    I'm finding it really easy to ignore this expensive new toy..