2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've had the DD version and it was alright. Haven't tried the "original" though to compare.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty good, I preferred it over some of their regular donuts. That being said, I feel it didn't quite capture the "cronut" essence very effectively. It resembled more of a glazed donut than it did a croissant. Quite bluntly, it tasted almost like a stale glazed donut. I'd recommend trying another brand of cronut for the price (it's over $2). Maybe if it was cheaper I'd think more favorable of it, but I feel it's very overpriced for what you're getting. Crumbs' cinnamon crumbnuts are muuuuch better!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I had the DD one. I'm glad I tried it once, but not worth it again. Find a good one if you can, but if you aren't near a decent bakery, then have one just to introduce you to the concept.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kmarc33 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You might be talking about this place, http://dominiqueansel.com/cronut-101/

I saw the place on The Food Network last week. Looked interesting.

I tried one from a different place in the summer and wasn't impressed.

yup, that was it. Night and day compared to DD's version. And we did a lot of walking, having taking the train in from NJ, so we didn't mind splurging. Apparently there's usually a difficulty in getting them but we just walked up, no problem. <shrug> luck of the draw, I guess.

that's what my friend said- people lined up outside for hours.
    I personally don't care for croissants so I'm kind of "meh" about the whole concept of the crounut.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    try and find them at a local bakery--they might have different toppings for them that are sinfully delicious that DD can't offer. about three or so weeks ago, i indulged in a maple bacon cronut... no. regrets.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The rat incident cracked me up, frankly. Growing up in France, it's a pretty normal occurrence over there for bakers to have cats to avoid mice...

I would love to go into a bakery, get something from the case, and then be able to pet a cat while I ate. That would be an amazing experience.

I went to a cat cafe in Japan! We need one here lol

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    One of the bars I frequent in SF (Eddie Rickenbackers) has a bar cat. Big ol *kitten*, nice cat, but insistent that you pet him on his schedule, not yours.

He also steals beer if allowed. IF.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    MAN... my gym buddy got one the other day. (there's a DD outside every NYSC I swear).

It looked like a glazed donut.

It came in its own little box.

I stared and stared and could not for the life of me figure out how it was special other than it came in its own box.

Is a croissant that looks like a donut?

Is it a donut that tastes like a croissant?

ENOUGH WITH ANIMAL LAB TESTING. JUST BE YOURSELF!
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I cut out all deep fried foods for three months and ever since then, I find all deep fried stuff, sweet and savoury, far too greasy. Makes my diet a lot easier!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Blame theMFP app which listed this as a new thread.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Blame theMFP app which listed this as a new thread.

Ah so that's what happens! I've always wondered why people keep necro'ing threads.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    kmarc33 wrote: »
    Got one last weekend, cut it in thirds. My wife, son and I all said the same thing: just so-so. Not worth it, not as good as what you'll find at a bakery, we had great ones last summer at a bakery in NYC. It's kinda like one of their French Crullers (sp?) with glaze.

skip it.

This. I split it with my kids. I like the French Cruller better and way less calories.