Getting Burned Out?

Options

Replies

• DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm not nearly as close to my goal as you are and I've definitely felt burned out. I took a week off. Just one week. And got back at it. I didn't over-do it too much on my week off, but I indulged more than I otherwise would have. Sometimes you have to switch it up just a bit.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I'm going to slowly up my calories over the next 2 weeks, then go back to normal after the holidays are over :)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    What are you doing that you can't have hot chocolate or a bowl of cereal? I think that you're burned out cause you're depriving yourself too much. If you are logging your calories you can work all those things into your day.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    gsager wrote: »
    What are you doing that you can't have hot chocolate or a bowl of cereal? I think that you're burned out cause you're depriving yourself too much. If you are logging your calories you can work all those things into your day.

Aye - but see it was already the end of the day and the calories were already all eaten

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    an important tool for your arsenal that you should start implementing right away is flexibility.
  • yoovie
    Options
    inho - if you don't have personal issues with giving yourself an inch and taking 100 miles ;)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I think of my calorie goal as a weekly target. Tomorrow is an office party, so yesterday and today I'm staying under my daily goal. Tomorrow I might go over, and might even cancel out the "savings" from today and yesterday. But I'll make that up tomorrow. Sometimes you just need a cup of hot chocolate.

I also take a break at the holidays, and aim to maintain. Last year I gained about half a pound in late December and early January. I took it off again quickly enough once I returned to a deficit. This year I'm only about 2 pounds from my goal, but I'm still planning to take a break. I'll have plenty of time to run a deficit next month, after I have some oral surgery and will be on a soft food diet, with no booze, for a week or two.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My primary goal when I started this was to be able to wear shorts in public this summer :)

Switching to maintenance over the holidays sounds like a great idea! Now if only I can figure out what my maintenance calories are??

My stats are:
    Height: 5' 7.5
    weight: 162
    Goal Weight: between 150/155
    Current calories are 1200 and I've been losing 1 to 2 pounds a week steadily.

Set yourself to half a pound a week. Eat some of your exercise calories when you work out.

• bwogilvie
    Options
    DPernet wrote: »
    Go for a walk and earn that treat :p

Clearly you don't live in the Northeast lololol

I'm in western Massachusetts and I went for a half-hour run today: 33 degrees, freezing rain, windy, slushy ice on the side of the road, cold puddles on the rest of the road with road salt keeping them liquid. It was great! My wife, though, thought I was crazy.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

I'm in western Massachusetts and I went for a half-hour run today: 33 degrees, freezing rain, windy, slushy ice on the side of the road, cold puddles on the rest of the road with road salt keeping them liquid. It was great! My wife, though, thought I was crazy.

I guess you're a better person than me, then

• allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options

lol yes what the hell is the matter with you ;)
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I feel this way and I'm no where near close to goal. Been sitting at 46 pounds lost and so desperately pushing for 50 by Christmas but I seem stuck. Plus I'm just bored of my gym and bored in general which is causing me to over eat a little so I know that's the problem. For me, I'm just trying to find ways to make it fun again. 1x a week I go with a friend to her workout group. It's a group of ladies that work out at the park in the early morning and I really dig that. I signed my husband up at my gym and I'm hoping that will help but realistically I think I much rather preffered him to be away. Being at the gym was like my get away. Anyways, whatever it is, we will find it. I know it!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »

lol yes what the hell is the matter with you ;)

Yes - clearly I'm insane for not wanting to go out in a nor'easter B)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Perfect response :smiley:

• yoovie
    Options
    its bad here in Brooklyn too. I did 5 miles today.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed nobody has jumped all over your case yet about eating so little! Usually these threads can be harsh. I used to be a 1200 cal a day girl too, that how I lost most of my weight but I learned that I also lost a lot of muscle losing so fast. Basically you absolutely should never eat less than your BMR. So instead of just eating more for a few weeks... Consider smoothly transitioning into losing your last few pounds slowly and then into maintenance? That's what I'm trying for my last 7 pounds and I've still lost steadily eating more!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

So - my questions is: When you're so close to your goal, how do you stay motivated?

I lost 100+ this year, but I was getting to point which seems very similar to you.
    At the end of Sep, I decided to go into maintenance for the rest of the year, focus on fitness rather than weight loss, and enjoy a few treats along the way. It's worked well. I'm actually stronger and fitter ... and an inch smaller around the waist, but still the same weight ... compared to the start of maintenance.

Come January, I'll start cutting again, and drop that final 5-10 lbs in the early part of the new year.

So, I can strongly recommend taking a break from cutting.
    Increase your calories slowly. Add 200 per day the first week, then up it 50-100 cals/per day each week, etc. You'll find your set point. And even just 300 extra cals per day will make a big difference. Good luck!

• bwogilvie
    Options

Crazier, maybe! :D
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I feel like my last few pounds are "vanity pounds" because I doubt I'll look that much different after losing only 7 more ...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I also go to maintenance for a bit when I get burnt out. By the way, this isn't nearly as good as real hot chocolate, but I recently discovered that swiss miss makes a decent "diet" hot cocoa that is only 25 calories. If you look for it, they really lablel it "Diet" lol. I'm sure its chock full of chemicals, but for 25 calories for a hot cocoa, count me in!