former Weight Watchers member switching it up, cheaper option ;)

Options
2»

Replies

• Laura87Laura
    Laura87Laura Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    pbellino wrote: »
    I dropped WW and join TOPS.org. $28.00/year!! I have lost weight each week since Oct 6th because there is accountability. Great Program!!!

What is that ? Please tell me more!
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    one thing i dicovered immedietely after tarting here... is that i had no idea, when using weight watchers... i had no idea how much i was actually eating. my goal was points and they seemed to not even use calories anymore... i had no idea what my actual goal was... and when i came here and tarted counting calories and to a lesser degree macros, i found i could eat more than they let me, and that some things they had for say 2 points would have les calories than others they had at 1 point... and that accross the board i didnt know what my previous goals were. and to me... not really knowing what the true goal is... is like.... like... ok i dont know what it is like... it is like accepting a handicap that you can choose to not have.

That's exactly how I feel, I have no idea how many calories I was consuming on WW... I started looking online at the calories and points and got a rough idea that they are 50 cal per point so im trying to stick in the 1300 range.... but on WW fruit and veg were 'free' 'east until your full' so in reality I was probably eating 1500 a day plus the optional 49 extra points they give you --- too much food in my opinion. I wasn't losing when I would eat the 49 --- This seems much easier - just stay in a calorie range
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    jeaniem71 wrote: »
    I spent 2 years on WW going to meetings etc....to lose 5LBS! Lets see that how much per pound? I spent last year on Atkins / LCHF and lost 25 pounds. Love this app. I signed up to give me a little push for the last 15 lbs.

congrats! I head low carb high fat is the way to go....

• Laura87Laura
    Options
    WW is excellent and so is this. But yes, I spent a lot of money on WW. It all comes down to your own effort, though.

I completely agree with you there. Your MIND has to be in it to win it or no program will work!
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    Jesea wrote: »
    Almost 3 years ago, I told myself that I would give the MFP app I found on my Kindle I got for Christmas, and if it didn't work, I would join WW. Now I'm sixty pounds less, and I love MFP!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that. is. simply. incredible!!!! any tips? any specifics you can give me calorie wise that you followed?! what was your weight then and now?

Mighty inspiring !!
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    justmelori wrote: »
    I lost about 20 lbs (my goal at the time) over the time of a year on WW, but I wanted to do a bit more. I lost another additional 10 lbs just by counting cals on MFP.

Unfortunately this year has been rough so I've gained about 7 back. I'm now combining both. I'm following WW SF guidelines but logging on MFP for free.

I agree the the frustrating part about MFP as you search for foods sometimes the most reliable items are not at the top of the list and you have to 'dig'. In the end I'm trying not to be so OCD about it -- the purpose is for me to log and learn to make good food choices, does it really matter if something is 200 cals or 180?

Exercise. I do sometimes eat my cals back, but not that often.

Good luck on your journey!

jml

thanks so much for sharing -- it really is a journey!
    anyone can do it if they put their mind to it!
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    dln1975 wrote: »
    I also am a former WW member. I can't count the number of times I had joined WW and would lose weight. I would then stop going to meetings and stop following the plan as I had the mindset of "I can do this on my own," only to gain back the weight I had lost (and then some). I do think WW is a good program and I do know many people who have successfully lost and maintained their loss on WW, but for me I prefer MFP. I found I was eating tons of processed foods on WW (100-calorie pack snacks, etc.). I still eat processed foods, but nothing like I used to thanks to MFP telling me my carb total, sugar total, etc., at the end of every day. But as someone else on this post said, it's all about what works best for you!! Best of luck to you!

THIS IS EXACTLY what I need to hear!! Thank you. I did the same thing... I went on WW and lost 47 lbs and then stopped going to meeting (continued working out) and eating relatively healthy and gained back 30 of it....Its as if WW was a crutch... I want to know how to do it without using points... I feel good about the change and can't wait to see results....eventually, I am being patient. Its definitely an adjustment!

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I really liked the WW program, because I feel like it helped me to adopt healthy habits like eating more fruits and veggies and it is really easy to follow. The issue for me was the database and especially the scanner items were too limited. I understand that they have improved this, but I don't think I will go back because now that I am used to MFP again, I like being able to track my protein (I struggle to keep it high enough without making a conscious effort).

I definitely agree with the others that said that basically WW is great if you want someone to tell you what to do, but once you know the basics and get some good habits established, MFP is a much more robust and useful tool.

For the people that were worried about the low calorie totals on WW, remember that this is without fruits and vegetables. The reason they are free is not because they magically have no calories, but so that people will choose them more often, thus stretching their points to maintain satiety. That was probably the single most important part of the program for me. I went from having virtually no produce to eating 1-2 servings at each meal and snack. If I can have a cookie for two points or an apple and some carrot sticks for 0, I'm going to pick the produce and save my points for mealtimes. And of course, all this produce is why they have to keep the points total low. I probably added 400-600 calories a day in fruit and veggies.
  • sarahgoodwin1107
    Options
    I did! I signed up for WW several times. The most I ever lost was 15lbs and I found myself caring more about points than about what I was putting in my body. I decided in April that I would do this and the only thing I would pay for was a $10 gym membership. It's been so empowering. 34lbs later it is the only time I have every stuck with it!
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    I really liked the WW program, because I feel like it helped me to adopt healthy habits like eating more fruits and veggies and it is really easy to follow. The issue for me was the database and especially the scanner items were too limited. I understand that they have improved this, but I don't think I will go back because now that I am used to MFP again, I like being able to track my protein (I struggle to keep it high enough without making a conscious effort).

I definitely agree with the others that said that basically WW is great if you want someone to tell you what to do, but once you know the basics and get some good habits established, MFP is a much more robust and useful tool.

For the people that were worried about the low calorie totals on WW, remember that this is without fruits and vegetables. The reason they are free is not because they magically have no calories, but so that people will choose them more often, thus stretching their points to maintain satiety. That was probably the single most important part of the program for me. I went from having virtually no produce to eating 1-2 servings at each meal and snack. If I can have a cookie for two points or an apple and some carrot sticks for 0, I'm going to pick the produce and save my points for mealtimes. And of course, all this produce is why they have to keep the points total low. I probably added 400-600 calories a day in fruit and veggies.

Good to know. Yeah Im trying to keep within a 1200-1500 range. Mostly 1300 Mon- Friday and 1500 sat and sunday which would add up to far less points than the 26 I had daily plus 49 weekly. I also am not eating many of my exercise calories burned.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do agree the WW bar code scanner was a real pain and MFP is incredible!
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    I did! I signed up for WW several times. The most I ever lost was 15lbs and I found myself caring more about points than about what I was putting in my body. I decided in April that I would do this and the only thing I would pay for was a $10 gym membership. It's been so empowering. 34lbs later it is the only time I have every stuck with it!

How inspiring... I agree 100% when I was on WW all I could think about was food and points. Now I don't worry so much .... and I tend to make really good choices. How long did it take you to lose the 34 lbs? April - november? what were your calorie settings vs points??
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I am considered untrainable:
    • Hate group activities
    • Questions authority
    • Despise equipment
    • etc
    I have tried organized Gym memberships and trainer's routines. It has always been the same, just before the schedule/plan becomes routine I lose patience with it.

I wandered into MFP by way of some other activity apps (F****bit, R*****per).
    Being able to self plan and self monitor DEFINITELY works for persons of my profile.
  • jmcnealy
    jmcnealy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    WW is great if you don't know what you're doing, but once you get the gist of it, no need to spend all that money. I am in the process of getting my mom to make the switch. Even the support lines are here on MFP, so no need for that either!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I hated Weight Watchers. When I analyzed what they permitted me to eat, it came to 800 calories!!! I felt like crap all the time. MFP works much better and doesn't waste your money. Look, I can starve for free lol. I don't need a whole ridiculous contrived point system. MFP uses scientifically recognized units of nutrients and calories. So I feel like it's much better here and more user friendly, and far more sustainable in your weight loss journey.

Me too they had me eating 800 calories and I was so fatigued. Now I eat 1750 calories a day!!!
  • Laura87Laura
    Options
    Yanicka1 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I hated Weight Watchers. When I analyzed what they permitted me to eat, it came to 800 calories!!! I felt like crap all the time. MFP works much better and doesn't waste your money. Look, I can starve for free lol. I don't need a whole ridiculous contrived point system. MFP uses scientifically recognized units of nutrients and calories. So I feel like it's much better here and more user friendly, and far more sustainable in your weight loss journey.

Me too they had me eating 800 calories and I was so fatigued. Now I eat 1750 calories a day!!!

Wow thats awesome!! Have you lost weight?
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've done both and was not successful here on MFP. I don't know why either bec I was using online only for WW. The first time I did ww I lost 55 lbs and was only 5 lbs away from goal. I quit bec I couldn't afford it anymore. I just joined WW again about 5 weeks ago and have lost almost every week, down about 10 lbs. I know it works for me which is why I went back. I only have about 15-20 lbs to lose at most. People saying that they felt out of place at their meeting? I don't get it because I think maybe you might need to find a different meeting or leader, they are all different. I love my leader and the people in my group are so supportive, they know that food is addictive and ANYONE can have that addition, regardless of current weight.
  • shenejm
    shenejm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    trixie315 wrote: »
    I've done both and was not successful here on MFP. I don't know why either bec I was using online only for WW. The first time I did ww I lost 55 lbs and was only 5 lbs away from goal. I quit bec I couldn't afford it anymore. I just joined WW again about 5 weeks ago and have lost almost every week, down about 10 lbs. I know it works for me which is why I went back. I only have about 15-20 lbs to lose at most. People saying that they felt out of place at their meeting? I don't get it because I think maybe you might need to find a different meeting or leader, they are all different. I love my leader and the people in my group are so supportive, they know that food is addictive and ANYONE can have that addition, regardless of current weight.

My problem with WW was not the leader she was great… it was a few of the other members who just do not think before they spoke… And finding another meeting in a time and place that was convenient was harder than it should have been; there were just not many options for me.
    No one knows the underlying reason as to why you join WW other than you want or need to lose weight.. Unless you choose too tell your life story… I was 40 years old and 200lbs.. Considered overweight for 5’10”according to my doctor. My wife at the time was 40 years old as well and 135lbs at 5’3”.. She was there for me; for my support and to lose a few pounds as well.. I joined at the request of my doctor to try something due to I was battling high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression and a severe sleep apnea…I did not carry my weight then or now to where I look that over weight, I was asked constantly why are you here… I got tired of trying to explain myself and just saying health reasons didn’t seem like a good enough explanation for some.. My wife took the brunt of the criticism which was odd because WW is all about support… Again no one knows your story… Life happens parents and siblings die.. You lose your job after 30 years.. Depression and a lack of caring sets in and those events take control whether you want them too or not and 60 lbs jumps on your back.. At 51 fighting back and to taking control is a personal goal for me one that I did not feel the need to share or have to explain all over again..
    I am grateful there are programs like WW they do a lot of good for a lot of people and they do work.. Its just it’s not for everyone all the time in the different phases that life brings on..
    I also get a lot of support from my wife of 29 years… And I also read a lot of the postings here on MFP. I am truly inspired by the members and their journeys and accomplishments I feel that with the support of my wife and the inspiration of the posts here I have enough for myself to go forward lose the weight and save a few dollars as well…. And like I said before.. If it’s working for you and you’re seeing the results you want great!!.. Be proud of yourself and keep up the great work!!