Orangetheory fitness

Options
About to sign up. Any comments on the workout?

Replies

• Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    best ever, lost the most amount of weight while going there, it can be intense however can be scaled depending on you. love that place!
  • grlgemini
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to sign up for the unlimited. They are opening one by me mid January, so I am getting a good pre opening price! :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My wife did it (even while pregnant) and the results were evident. I'm a cheapo, but if you need the push its worth it.
  • grlgemini
    Options
    Yep, I need the push!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You cant go wrong with an hour of interval training. Especially since the heart rate monitor makes it hard to cheat. I do think they are over selling the EPOC effect though.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    grlgemini wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to sign up for the unlimited. They are opening one by me mid January, so I am getting a good pre opening price! :)

awesome, ya its well worth the price. I went for 6 months and the only reason I stopped going is it was just too far. I dealt with the drive for that time but just couldnt do it anymore! They actually just opened up a new location recently near me, but I have been hooked on crossfit so not sure what I am going to do now cause I really want to do both lol. Good luck on your journey!!

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try it but it's so expensive, overemphasizes EPOC and is nothing I can't do at home (for the most part). Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Silly question. But you couldn't you get the same result
    from a spin class and your HRM?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think the main reason why people get results at OTF is not because of the "theory", but because it is a structured workout where people are pushed harder than what they have been used to doing on their own. Their claims for the effects of EPOC are (wildly?) overestimated. It is more likely that people are burning significantly more calories during the workout themselves. I worked in a large fitness center and watch a few hundred people work out every day. I'd estimate than only 10% at most really push themselves on a regular basis.

Like most fitness equipment and workouts, the questions are: do you think it is a good value? And will it motivate who to work hard enough and consistently enough to achieve the results you want?

Very little in the fitness world is unique, from a science standpoint. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors to get people motivated and engaged. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You cant go wrong with an hour of interval training. Especially since the heart rate monitor makes it hard to cheat. I do think they are over selling the EPOC effect though.

To be fair, doesn't everybody oversell the EPOC effect?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's a specialty gym for small group classes. I only know of it because I stopped in to see if they were hiring personal trainers. I never heard of it before a month ago. Now I see there are a bunch of them opening in NYC.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

If they do anything other than acknowledge it exists then. yes. :smile:

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

They go above and beyond.

THE SCIENCE OF THE ORANGETHEORY WORKOUT

The physiological theory behind the Orangetheory workout is known as “Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption,” or EPOC. By providing you with a heart-rate monitor and POD, we can monitor your 5-zone interval training sessions that we call the Orange 60. During the 60-minute workout, you will perform multiple intervals designed to produce 12 to 20 minutes of training at 84% or higher of your maximum heart rate, which translates to Zones 4/5. This program design produces workout "afterburn" effect, which is an increased metabolic rate for 24 to 36 hours after the workout. When combining the amazing workout with EPOC, our clients burn an average of 500 to 1200 calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

That's missing out on the resistance training component, but from a calorie burn perspective, sure. You don't need the hrm with the spin class either. But as someone already said, people like the push along with not having to plan a workout themselves.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

That's missing out on the resistance training component, but from a calorie burn perspective, sure. You don't need the hrm with the spin class either. But as someone already said, people like the push along with not having to plan a workout themselves.

Thanks.
  • grlgemini
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Well, yes you could probably get the same calories burn. But for me I need the motivation. I don't really push myself enough. I find that if I am in a group setting I push myself more. I think people do what works for them. Signing up for a gym just doesn't work for me, because I can't motivate myself to go workout alone. LOL! So, I know there is no magical workout, but was just wondering if people have used and liked the routines.
  • grlgemini
    Options
    LOL, meant to quote the previous one asking about a cycling class.
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love OTF. I love the structured workout, I love that it pushes me and gives me circuits I would never think to do. It's made a big difference in my strength and speed (I'm a runner) in just the three months I've been going.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love it too. I "accidentally" lost 5 pounds while doing everything else the same (diet, etc). I go 4x a week. It is always challenging and I've definitely noticed a change in my running abilities and just overall cardio health. It's very motivating.
  • bigtimebuck
    bigtimebuck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agreed, it's very motivating! It is always different, and inventive, plus not having to plan new ways to push myself keeps me going to class. The EPOC thing may or may not be gravy, but I'm not concerned about that. I just feel good while I'm there (and after). I'm in my 6th week, and have no plans to stop going anytime soon :) give it a try and see if it clicks with you.