Does the time you eat matter?

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    personally I feel its nice to be well feed and ready for workouts... but other then that no, timing is meaningless. and being properly fueled for a work out isn't necessarily going to make you lose weight faster either, just make for a better workout IMO
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    On a scale of 1-10 of importance I would give meal timing a 1. In regards to performance, I would rate it higher.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Nope, doesn't matter. It is good to be aware if you eat a bunch of food at like 11:00 pm and then weigh yourself at 6:00 am that your weight might be artificially inflated. Doesn't mean you gained weight, just means it's not fully digested yet.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Except possibly in the cases of certain elite athletes engaged in endurance sports, meal timing is irrelevant, and the 'metabolic window' in which you need to get your protein is close enough to 24 hours as to make no difference.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Except possibly in the cases of certain elite athletes engaged in endurance sports, meal timing is irrelevant, and the 'metabolic window' in which you need to get your protein is close enough to 24 hours as to make no difference.

Yes. I always think of Michael Phelps in the Olympics, when he had 45 minutes between various meets, and had to get calories in. Didn't even matter where the calories came from... It always makes me laugh when someone swears by eating only certain foods to "fuel" your body.
  • dieselbyte
    edited December 2014
    Options
    double post

• beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    To the everyday lifter/trainee, meal timing is of minimal importance and the emphasis should be placed on overall daily dietary intake and simply meeting your calorie & nutrient goals.

Of course, going to dietary extremes, or having LARGE gaps between meals & training (+3-4 hours pre-/post-), could be potentially detrimental...but even if these situations, there really is no science/research explaining to what extent the negative effects of such dietary extremes would be.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat except if you have reflux. Then the recommendation is not to eat within 3 hours of going to sleep because your food will come back up, or not go down...
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    No, not in your case.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As long as you're eating less than you're burning, you'll lose weight.
    But if you have about half your calories for breakfast, a medium lunch, and a small dinner, you'll lose more weight.

See the last half of this post for the studies.
    (There are links to the abstracts & full texts; don't take my word for it, read them yourself.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

51637601.png
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Many intelligent people say they gain weight if they eat late. It's possible that they aren't all lying.

We know the body does some things better at certain times. So, maybe there is something to it. I don't know. Still on the fence! :)

It certainly can't hurt to eat earlier if you think eating late is an issue.
  • dieselbyte
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Many intelligent people say they gain weight if they eat late. It's possible that they aren't all lying.

We know the body does some things better at certain times. So, maybe there is something to it. I don't know. Still on the fence! :)

Assuming they are staying within their caloric limit and not over-eating at night, then no, they aren't lying... they just don't realize undigested food, water retention, water weight etc will make their scale weight seem higher depending on the time of day they weigh themselves, how soon they weigh themselves after eating their last meal etc.

Weigh yourself after eating a large meal that is within you caloric goals. You've probably gained a pound or two. Does that mean you just put on a pound or two of fat? Not in the least bit - its food and water weight, coupled with increased glycogen stores and other normal bodily processes. If I weigh myself before and after I workout, I've gained weight after. Does that mean my body is different and I'm gaining fat when I train? Not in the least.

There are no special snowflakes. We are constantly burning and storing fat. But for overall fat loss, all that matters is calories in vs calories out. Meal timing doesn't matter in weight (fat) loss. I don't magically gain fat just because my last meal was at 9pm before bed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    Technically no, not for weight loss, but from what I understand eating can spike your blood sugar a bit. It's one of those things that can lead to developing type 2 diabetes. It's good to be active after a meal and that takes more planning when you eat late than when you eat early.

Personally when I eat late (after 9 or so) I make sure to go for a short walk as well.

Eating can lead to developing type 2 diabietes?

well I guess we are all screwed then …

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

actually we know that meal timing is irrelevant when it comes to weight loss.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    But if you have about half your calories for breakfast, a medium lunch, and a small dinner, you'll lose more weight.

(There are links to the abstracts & full texts; don't take my word for it, read them yourself.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

51637601.png

You really need to stop with this crap. You do not need to have half your calories at breakfast or any of this other stuff you keep posting.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

51637601.png

No. This is false.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    staying under your goal is all that matters when you eat it is irrelevant
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people come out sharing studies that show a correlation between certain eating patterns and weight loss as if there is causation. Yes, some studies have indicated that people who were set to eat a large breakfast, smaller lunch, and smallest dinner tended to lose more than others in the study on a different eating pattern. The problem is that studies related to food intake are notoriously subject to interference from participants, mainly in the form of unreported food intake or other similar habits that many of us have identified as reasons for weight gain, but many others are clueless about. These studies get widely publicized providing only the general gist, and not explaining the full findings and admissions of potential issues with study design or implementation.
    There are certainly reasons why eating a breakfast/larger meals earlier in the day can help you lose weight, but they have to do with how satiated you feel/your urges to eat later in the day, not the specific amount of calories taken in. If you want to lose the most weight you're capable of, you need to ignore advice that tells you when you need to eat. Not to get too personal, but I'm really sick of being asked how I lost 80+ lbs, sharing that I do intermittent fasting, which helps me stay in deficit, because it's closest to my natural eating habits, and being told that "No! That's bad - you need to eat breakfast first thing!", etc.

If you feel forced or stretched thin on your calorie budget because you're fitting in a large meal where you wouldn't otherwise, you're much more likely to fail. Work with your natural eating tendencies while keeping your caloric deficit in mind, and you will be most likely to succeed. Intermittent Fasting tends to work best for people who normally don't eat for longer stretches - I have never had a morning appetite, and keeping my deficit is easier making it "official" and just not eating until my usual window. I don't think 2 hours is going to make much of a difference for OP, unless that time you're removing tends to result in caloric overages.