Food allergy preventing weight loss?

Options
Did anyone discover they had a food allergy then eliminate that food and find they lost weight more easily?

Suzanne Sommers swears eliminating the eggs helped her lose 10 pesky pounds after she discovered she was allergic, Im thinking about getting tested as I suffer from random bouts of inflammation

Replies

• TheLostMermaid
    Options
    Gluten. Apparently TONS of people are allergic and don't even know it. And it can prevent you from losing weight if you still consume it....or so I read.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I would say I am sensitive not allergic to a lot of things as I have gotten older. Some food make me super tired others cause my to have cystic acne.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I have lots of food allergies and they didn't cause me to gain weight and figuring them out didn't cause me to lose weight. It did help me keep breathing which is a good thing.

What causes you to lose weight is a deficit
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of figuring out my food allergies. I got to where I was really sick with bouts of indigestion. I couldn't stand it anymore and I couldn't get into the dr quick enough. So I decided to go on an elimination plan I found online. I cut out all the main allergens and started eating only whole natural foods. I eat chicken, fish, eggs, rice, potatoes, fruit and veggies. I only drink water. I've been doing this for 6 weeks and have lost 30 lbs. I also went from eating crap all the time to eating extremely healthy. So it was a drastic change. My body felt soooo much healthier right away. I can't even tell you the change it's made. My stomach is well again, my back aches and joint pain are gone, my asthma is gone, my skin is not rashy... I just got tested for Celiac's and it was negative. I didn't really think it was gluten. But I do suspect corn. My dad has a corn allergy. So hopefully I will be seeing the allergist again soon and hopefully get answers.

I don't know if eliminating the allergens helped me lose weight. But changing my eating so drastically did for sure. If you really want to get it off try eating clean. Foods with very few ingredients and not processed. It will make a big difference!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There's a JJ diet that's all about this. Virgin diet or something. IDK if it's true or not but for like probably around $29.99 you can find out.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest eliminating gluten just to see if you can lose weight. If you're sick a lot... maybe. But I don't think it's a healthy trend. My daughter has Celiac's and can't eat even a trace of gluten. It is extremely hard for her to eat enough iron and fiber... Gluten free products are mostly made of rice and starches. So you have to find ways to eat a well-rounded diet.

• I think I have been having food allergies lately of the same foods, but I am not sure. I feel the effects, but unlike you, I haven't gotten tested.
    Sometimes I get shortness of breath and really bloated feeling after eating certain things even if I don't eat a lot of it. It feels like anxiety but it's after I eat or drink particular things on occasion. Does anyone know if this is what a food allergy can do? I think it's mostly when I drink beer, wine or cheese but I haven't pinpointed exactly what it is yet. Anyone have food allergies? If so, what happens when you eat the food?
    I am going to try eliminating wheat and dairy, to see if I feel better, or lose weight, as did "sexymamadra..."
  • I am in the process of figuring out my food allergies. I got to where I was really sick with bouts of indigestion. I couldn't stand it anymore and I couldn't get into the dr quick enough. So I decided to go on an elimination plan I found online. I cut out all the main allergens and started eating only whole natural foods. I eat chicken, fish, eggs, rice, potatoes, fruit and veggies. I only drink water. I've been doing this for 6 weeks and have lost 30 lbs. I also went from eating crap all the time to eating extremely healthy. So it was a drastic change. My body felt soooo much healthier right away. I can't even tell you the change it's made. My stomach is well again, my back aches and joint pain are gone, my asthma is gone, my skin is not rashy... I just got tested for Celiac's and it was negative. I didn't really think it was gluten. But I do suspect corn. My dad has a corn allergy. So hopefully I will be seeing the allergist again soon and hopefully get answers.

I don't know if eliminating the allergens helped me lose weight. But changing my eating so drastically did for sure. If you really want to get it off try eating clean. Foods with very few ingredients and not processed. It will make a big difference!

When you eliminated everything, did you go cold turkey or take time and have occassional slip ups?

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You mean the Suzanne Sommers who backed the "thigh master"? AhhhhhI'm not gonna listen to her advice...
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Did anyone discover they had a food allergy then eliminate that food and find they lost weight more easily?

Some people who have celiac disease report that they lose weight more easily after going gluten free. I didn't, and actually gained weight as my absorption of nutrients improved.

There are some foods that upset my digestive system when I eat them - it can make me feel like I'm hungry all the time. That makes it harder to stick within your calories - but it's a perception thing - that the pain feels sort of like hunger pangs.

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    No, when I discovered I was allergic to shrimp I had only eaten it twice. I'm severely allergic though, I carry an Epi Pen.
  • lyttlewon
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Anyone have food allergies? If so, what happens when you eat the food?

When I discovered I was allergic to shrimp I broke out in a severe case of hives. It was so excruciatingly painful it felt like my skin was on fire. It lasted for several days. My doc took one look at me, and said don't ever touch it again or you will completely anaphylaxis. I had to take Prednisone to get it to chill out. I'm sensitive to watermelon not sure if an allergy. It causes coughing and it makes my throat itch. I haven't attempted to eat watermelon again. I already know I'm hypersensitive.

When we discovered my son was allergic to peanut butter he had wiped it on his face and belly, he was 16 months old, and his hands and lips swelled. He was also covered in hives. He's been allergy tested twice now and both times it's only peanut.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    Do you mean a food intolerance?

A food allergy usually implies a night-long miserable bout of vomiting and hives after eating a certain food.

A lot of people seem to be confused between the difference between an intolerance and an allergy. Celiacs disease is not an allergy.

The American Acadamy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology explains it well:
    It is important to note that Celiac disease and NCGS are different from having a food allergy. With a food allergy, the immune system overreacts to a particular food causing symptoms that are potentially serious or even life-threatening. In food allergic patients, symptoms begin shortly after ingestion of the food (a few minutes to an hour or so) and include hives, shortness of breath, lightheadedness or vomiting. A food allergy is an immune, but not an autoimmune, reaction.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    No. Food intolerances and allergies do not have a bearing on weight outside some temporary inflammation.

Eat less, move more.

^^^^ 100%
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Gluten. Apparently TONS of people are allergic and don't even know it. And it can prevent you from losing weight if you still consume it....or so I read.

so tons of people are walking around having allergic reactions and have no idea?

how does that even work?
  • Katie_Norton
    Katie_Norton Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Boo, I can't remember the cleanse that I did, but basically remove a lot of foods for the first week (eat only veggies - bad for a carb lover), and then slowly add back the gluten, fruits, and dairy ... during different days to see if you are intolerant ... as for allergies -- you'd know by now for most of them.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

so tons of people are walking around having allergic reactions and have no idea?

how does that even work?

Stop with the logic; she said tons, so there must be tons cause tons means lots! Or 2,000's or something ;)

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    No. Food intolerances and allergies do not have a bearing on weight outside some temporary inflammation.

Eat less, move more.

It took how many posts for this come up. We need drama. . . . .MORE DRAMA!!