Elliptical work outs....best approach?

I have an elliptical at home and have been using it consistently. I would love some advice on how to get the most out of my elliptical workouts and burn the highest amount of calories. Should I do lower resistance and a faster pace? Should I do higher resistance and a slightly slower pace? Maybe a combination of both? Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Wear an HRM and you will find out by trying different combinations.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    I like doing intervals- a few minutes of high incline, high resistance with a minute of lower resistance in between. The lower resistance gives me a slight rest while I'm still moving so it's easier to go for longer at a time.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Wear an HRM and you will find out by trying different combinations.

I have been thinking about buying a HRM.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You may be overthinking this
  • mlrtri
    DavPul wrote: »
    You may be overthinking this

I frequently over think things :smile: I just want to make sure I can get the most out of my time on the machine. I want to watch the scale numbers shrink.

• CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    I was advised to always switch things up as our body does get used to it. Maybe do a consistent steady pace (low or higher intensity) for certain days at various duration of time, and on other days do HIIT (10 minutes warm up, followed by 10sec super fast, and 10 secs break, repeat this for 10 minutes, then cool down) etc. I was also informed that if you want to burn fat, a more steady pace and longer duration will help. HIIT helps with endurance. So, just try a variery of combos. I love my elliptical machine :)
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    CinthyN wrote: »
    I was advised to always switch things up as our body does get used to it. Maybe do a consistent steady pace (low or higher intensity) for certain days at various duration of time, and on other days do HIIT (10 minutes warm up, followed by 10sec super fast, and 10 secs break, repeat this for 10 minutes, then cool down) etc. I was also informed that if you want to burn fat, a more steady pace and longer duration will help. HIIT helps with endurance. So, just try a variery of combos. I love my elliptical machine :)

I use this method - steady pace/low resistance, alternating pace/alternating resistance -then, one day a week, I do a moderate pace for 3-5 minutes with 30-60 second rapid pace bursts. My goal is always to sweat and to get my heart rate above 80% max (HRM is a good thing to have but, I think if you are sweating, you are probably doing it right).
  • mlrtri
    Thank you for your advice/recommendations.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    I tend to set the program for manual. Then program in my level. Get my heart rate up to where I want it, and keep the speed at that pace to keep my heart rate where I want it.

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Crank up the resistance and go hard. Generally the answer for every cardio question IMO.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Resistance for sure - for me, trying to get my heart rate up with no resistance on the elliptical will risk injury to myself and to the machine and also look fairly ridiculous.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Check out pinterest for some great HIIT elliptical workouts!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Alternate days of hard intervals and steady-state (longer) elliptical workouts. Throw in a cycling, stair-climbing, or rowing day to mix it up a little..
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Go faster and get it done quicker.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    HIIT! The answer for all workouts.