Hunger and Sleep

Options
Hi- thank you to all those who responded to my post yesterday about just feeling down. Last night, I slept a total of three hours. I am just feeling like a failure, like I won't do well and I will fail today because of my lack of sleep. How does sleep affect your hunger?

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't think it affects my hunger...more my cravings. If I'm tired, I crave more sugary things and the high calorie comfort foods and have to fight that.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Every night is a "bad night" for me, I'm lucky to get 5 hours on average and it's been like this for probably 12 years, maybe more. It's difficult but I'm so used to it... the biggest challenge for me is that with so many hours of being awake to face in a day, there is more opportunity to eat. But conversely there is more opportunity to exercise and earn extra calories to consume. I don't know that this is helpful at all, but I can tell you this: One day eating more won't make or break the process unless you let it. You didn't get fat in a day and you're not going to get slim in a single day - one tired, off day is not going to cause your ultimate failure. Do your best and if you overeat today, just dust yourself off and start fresh tomorrow.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am not a sleeper at all, I am out the door some days at 3 am for fast walking, my husband snores crazy so I just get up and go!, anyone can add me. I am always on here,
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have chronic insomnia an have been forcing myself to stay in bed, change positions and aim for one more hour. It's not uninterrupted sleep, but I get a couple more hours.

As to night eating, I rarely do it.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I'm not a good sleeper unfortunately. When I have a bad night (less than 5 hours) I crave comfort food a bit more. When I have a really bad night (no sleep at all or less than 3 hours) I find it difficult to exercise because I'm terribly tired by the time I get off of work.
    I do take melatonin which helps some nights, at least for a while.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to drink several cups of coffee but at a certain point, it started wreaking havoc on my sleep!
    Don't drink more than one cup and don't have caffeine after 12 noon.
    It really helps!
    I drink 1 cup of black tea in the morning and rely on herbal teas the rest of the day.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm tired, I generally give in to cravings much faster and easier.