Lifting while fasting???

Options

Replies

• tx_angel77
    tx_angel77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am new to lifting so this is greatly appreciated!!

I figure I won't be able to gain muscle while on this fast but maybe maintain what I have and maybe even lose some fat. I have been taking in about 800-1000 cal on average during my meal time. I have a hard time getting that much in at one meal but I have been adding liquid calories like protein smoothies to help. I have lifted every day since I started and I haven't felt bad but I have been extremely hungry so I plan my meal for right after my workout. I don't plan on doing any cardio during this time.
  • tx_angel77
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    if your schedule allows,you could train in the mornings of your fast--that way you're not waiting until the end of the day having to work out on fumes, per se. plus then it's out of the way!

That's a great idea. Actual I have been doing something similar. I have been able to work out early to mid afternoon and then eat within an hour or so of my workout. Something I'm still feeling out but good idea.
  • tx_angel77
    Options
    There are limits on how much you can do without replenishing your body's energy stores. For cardio, it takes an hour or more to deplete the glycogen stores. I'm not sure what it is for lifting, but it should be similar. Given enough time, glycogen stores will rebuild from the body converting fat into glycogen, but it takes a while. So, while expending energy during a fast is okay, it may be necessary to cut long workouts short and wait longer between workouts.

Of course, there is also the problem that you can't gain muscle during a fast because you don't have additional protein to build from.

I'm curious about this. I'm wondering now if I should eat more carbs at my meal to restore the glycogen. Does this equate to muscle recovery? Any thoughts?
  • tx_angel77
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Have you reduced the overall calories you are eating or are you just cramming them into 1 meal? If you are still eating enough to only be in a moderate deficit then I wouldn't change your exercise schedule at all. If reducing to 1 meal a day has caused you to severely reduce calories, I'd reevaluate the 1 meal a day plan.

So If I can get enough cals in one meal then lifting every day won't cause any issues? The one meal a day isn't an option to change at the moment but my exercise load can adjust for a time. How do I find out how many calories I need to maintain my lifting schedule? Thanks
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    tx_angel77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am new to lifting so this is greatly appreciated!!

I figure I won't be able to gain muscle while on this fast but maybe maintain what I have and maybe even lose some fat. I have been taking in about 800-1000 cal on average during my meal time. I have a hard time getting that much in at one meal but I have been adding liquid calories like protein smoothies to help. I have lifted every day since I started and I haven't felt bad but I have been extremely hungry so I plan my meal for right after my workout. I don't plan on doing any cardio during this time.

You can't build muscle and eat at a deficit at the same time. I'm a little confused by your fasting, so I'm not sure if you're fasting every day to create a deficit or if it's a once a week thing. If you're looking to build muscle, you would need to be in a surplus the rest of the days you aren't fasting (and enough of a surplus to overcome the deficit on your fast days).

That said, not quite the same, but I lift "fasted" in the mornings. I lift right after I wake up and before I eat anything. It works best for me, and I find I actually have problems lifting later in the day unless it's right after a meal (which doesn't work with my schedule). So, it's really only me not eating for 9 hours or so before I lift. I haven't had any issues, and I still have strength gains.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is a lot that needs defined here.

You can fast and be in a calorie surplus is you eat enough during your given window. Is this the case?
    Also why are you lifting every day? Is that a particular program?
    Carbs and overall calories are just as critical for muscle recovery/building as protein.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    I always train fasted!
  • tx_angel77
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    There is a lot that needs defined here.

You can fast and be in a calorie surplus is you eat enough during your given window. Is this the case?
    Also why are you lifting every day? Is that a particular program?
    Carbs and overall calories are just as critical for muscle recovery/building as protein.

Lifting every day is a program. It's a four day lifting and two days rest. How do I determine the number of calories I should be taking in during that one meal?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    wait, clarify please. You're taking in one meal, and that meal is 800-1000 calories?
  • tx_angel77
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    wait, clarify please. You're taking in one meal, and that meal is 800-1000 calories?

Yes and I know you are probably going to tell me that is not enough. I have no issues raising my caloric intake to meet the needs of my lifting program. I am doing this for spiritual reasons not to lose weight. With that being said, I'm just trying to find a good balance so that I can continue lifting during this time. :) Any advice on finding the correct caloric intake would be appreciated.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I don't believe in fasting....but to each their own. I would be afraid of becoming weak, fainting, or just plain down dogging my workouts because I had no energy. At that point, what is the point?
    Just means you haven't tried it.

My fasted and unfasted workouts are at the least equitable, generally the fasted ones are better.

Actually I have. That is if people are considering not eating from 7pm till after your 5:30am workout, a fasted workout. I did that twice a week for two years. And I perform better when I'm properly fueled. Even a banana before that morning workout made a huge difference. It seems the term"fasted" is subjective. Is that not eating for 4 hours? Or 12 hours? Or 24 hours? Is sleep involved? Etc.

OP - since the fasting is based on spiritual reasons, then just listen to your body. Try the workouts if you want, but take it slow at first and build up. If you feel faint, stop. If you start feeling tired all the time, stop. Definitely try finding high calorie, nutrition dense foods to eat during your meal time. Protein bars and nutrition shakes will probably be your best friends. You really won't be doing any good for your body by working out without the proper nutrients to do the work and recover from it. So depending on how long you are fasting and only eating 800-1000 calories a day for, I'd be really careful.

The correct calorie intake is based on height, age, weight, etc. But most doctors and RD's don't recommend women eat under 1200 calories a day.

Best of luck!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Correct for what? Weight maintenance? Try a TDEE calculator. For strength? That is up to you and how you feel. I don't think there is some big problem with lifting fasted or on low calories. If you insist on eating once a day and want to maintain general health, 1200 might be a good floor value.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You can do what my trainer does periodically. A fasting day which consists of 500-600calories. He eats breakfast....something like a 2 egg cheese omelet or eggs and a meat and then he eats dinner.....protein and veggies. I'd do your lifting before your evening meal so you are getting the protein afterwards and you should throw in some carbs too if you are lifting heavy.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    As I said...to each their own. Personally, I do do 2+ hour HIIT style workouts and focus on learning how to properly fuel my body during workouts for my OCR races which can last from 2-5 hours. I've done plenty of workouts before eating in the morning (2 years, 2x a week worth), but honestly I feel better and work harder when I'm properly fueled. I've also seen plenty of people pass out during workouts because they hadn't eaten for awhile. But I'm just speaking to my personal experience, as you all have. My bad if mine is different ;)

What you just wrote there is why fasting would probably not work for you. You are more about endurance workouts which weightlifting/ bodybuilding and running for weight loss is not. So, yes, you have to fuel your body differently.

However, if you were not doing those endurance workouts, then it would be different.

I personally, as other posters have mentioned, have set some PR's in lifting since I started doing IF(Intermittent Fasting) 16:8 (Leangains). Heck, yesterday I wasn't able to haul my rear outta bed in the early AM so I went to the gym at lunch. Over 16 hours into a fast cycle and I set a PR on my squats. In fact by the time I did my squats I was probably 17 hours into the fast. So that is 17 hours without one morsel of food or calorie laden drink passing my lips. I still had plenty of energy for my workout.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes and I know you are probably going to tell me that is not enough. I have no issues raising my caloric intake to meet the needs of my lifting program. I am doing this for spiritual reasons not to lose weight. With that being said, I'm just trying to find a good balance so that I can continue lifting during this time. :) Any advice on finding the correct caloric intake would be appreciated.

Are you doing this everyday, once a week, once a month?
  • tx_angel77
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm lifting 4 days resting 2. Fasting every day for a while. My overall goal is to lose fat and build lean muscle at the same time. I know fasting for an extended period of time may be throwing a wrench in it but I was hoping to continue toward my goals while fasting.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm lifting 4 days resting 2. Fasting every day for a while. My overall goal is to lose fat and build lean muscle at the same time. I know fasting for an extended period of time may be throwing a wrench in it but I was hoping to continue toward my goals while fasting.

If you can do what ksy1969 just posted then fasting shouldn't deter your lifting efforts at all. I, too, lift in the AM while fasted. It works for me. I have much more energy and have made gains. Just experiment and see what works for you!
  • dbmata
    Options

I'm not going to piss in your cheerios over it.

You will find out if it is or is not enough. I would say, you'd probably want to up it. However, it's really easy to find out what the correct caloric intake is.

You have your goal in mind right? Add calories, analyze body changes. How do you feel? Are you achieving the goals you have set? If yes, well done. If not... increase of decrease calories based on goals.

i'll be honest, I did not see or I missed a goals statement... so this is a shot in the dark. So if it were me, and I were at 1k calories, but lifting.

I would increase to 1500 and then add in the lifting. I'd also increase intake to 1800 on days before lifting sessions. I'd do that for a month or two and then reassess.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So all it sounds like you need to do is figure out your daily calorie intake. There are many online calculators to help you. They will be more than 800-1000 cals, that is not enough to sustain your lifting long term.

Also lifting 4 off 2 is fine. Its also not lifting everyday as you previously stated.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Actually I have. That is if people are considering not eating from 7pm till after your 5:30am workout, a fasted workout. I did that twice a week for two years.
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider that fasted. I guess technically one could. My own personal usage is I'll eat by 6-8pm, lift sometime around 3pm the next day, and eat a snack around 4:30p once I'm done.

for me that's a fasted workout. At the start they are mentally challenging, afterwards they are simple.

Working out first thing in the morning though? I just call that working out before breakfast, there's nothing really challenging to that, and I doubt any of the benefits from extended fasting would be realized.