Help with muscle gain diet & workout (I'm slightly new to macros and clean dieting for muscle gain)

Options

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    AMonari wrote: »
    @gemmamummy: Indeed I need to eat more than my current intake and I'm building up my new training days and non-training diet which I will post here very soon for feedback.

---

Regarding the workouts I'll stick to the full body workouts I mentioned in my last post.

I just realised I forgot to post the forum I highlighted in my last post. If anyone's interested here's the link: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Okay, that's All Pro. Run it as is. Make sure you stick to it and don't go bouncing around from one to the other as there are a few variations of Beginner All Pro. Ride the one you pick out till the end.

I suggest you start a log somewhere. It could be here on MFP or on BB. I'll follow you on either one. As long as you're being smart about it

This ^^^

AllPro's is a quality routine, and there is no need to change it, you're not going to make it better than it already is.

Simply run it as it's structured, and do so CONSISTENTLY.
    That means no program switching every month or two.

Partner that program with eating more, and you're off on the right foot.

Why does everyone think they need to change proven routines to make them "better?" It's very sad :'(
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    @gemmamummy: Indeed I need to eat more than my current intake and I'm building up my new training days and non-training diet which I will post here very soon for feedback.

---

Regarding the workouts I'll stick to the full body workouts I mentioned in my last post.

I just realised I forgot to post the forum I highlighted in my last post. If anyone's interested here's the link: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Okay, that's All Pro. Run it as is. Make sure you stick to it and don't go bouncing around from one to the other as there are a few variations of Beginner All Pro. Ride the one you pick out till the end.

I suggest you start a log somewhere. It could be here on MFP or on BB. I'll follow you on either one. As long as you're being smart about it

This ^^^

AllPro's is a quality routine, and there is no need to change it, you're not going to make it better than it already is.

Why does everyone think they need to change proven routines to make them "better?" It's very sad :'(

A couple common factors I've found...

1. They're not eating enough to support sustained development, so when they stall 2 months into the program they blame the program for failing...when really it's their diet.

2. They're too impatient and don't realize that lean mass development is a very long & difficult process, and to develop anything reasonably noticeable you're looking at upwards of 4-6 months before seeing a change. So, again, when they're a month or two in and their arms haven't grown an inch & they aren't benching 3 plates they blame the program.

It really is sad.

Although OP seems like he is really trying to learn here, and I have high hopes he will follow the advice, keep with the program, and eat more to support his goal.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

---

This ^^^

A couple common factors I've found...

1. They're not eating enough to support sustained development, so when they stall 2 months into the program they blame the program for failing...when really it's their diet.

2. They're too impatient and don't realize that lean mass development is a very long & difficult process, and to develop anything reasonably noticeable you're looking at upwards of 4-6 months before seeing a change. So, again, when they're a month or two in and their arms haven't grown an inch & they aren't benching 3 plates they blame the program.

It really is sad.

Although OP seems like he is really trying to learn here, and I have high hopes he will follow the advice, keep with the program, and eat more to support his goal.

I agree with your assessment. Fingers crossed!
  • AMonari
    AMonari Posts: 49 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @MrM27 and @beastcompany: Thanks for the vote of confidence in terms of selecting the programme. I'll look to log my progress on BB.com or bodyspace but at the moment I use Gymhero http://gymhero.me/ which isn't bad too plus all my history is there. I'll log it here too and I'll post a link with my progress.

---

To all,

I know y'all have mentioned no changing and I'm not going to change anything regarding the workouts specifically but at least before kicking on with the workouts some form of warm up as in cardio wise say 5 mins MAX on the stairmaster followed by some pre workout stretching is needed. Despite my current unsuccessful program these two bits I beleived helped me and although I'm still a rookie in terms of sustained lean mass development surely a very short cardio warm up plus stretches before lifting is sort of required?

As always any suggestions are appreciated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Every workout should have a warm up- regardless of if the program calls for it or not. Most programs will just tell you to do a warm up- I can't think any program man other than like workout DVD's that do the warm up for you.

There is a little bit of "take your workout into you hands" aspect.

I personally like 5 min of jump rope + technical bar work- so for squat days
    JR
    bar- 10 reps
    95 # for 8 reps
    stretch/hip opening yoga flow sequence
    115 for 8 reps
    135 for 6 reps
    and then on to my starting weights.

don't get overly caught up in excess mobility warm up drills and what not- your body needs to be warm- and you can't just jump into heavy weights- so I always ramp up to them- that's my personal warm up on the quick- you ahve to do what works for you. I know a guy who swears by box jumps to wake up the glutes.

You have to do SOMETHING to slap the muscles in the face and say YO- WAKE UP!!! IT"S TIME TO DO SOME WORK... before you make them work. You're risking great injury by just jumping under the bar cold.
  • AMonari
    Options
    As I'll be using the All Pro program I'm making changes to my eating and as I mentioned I'll be posting my training days and non-training days eating.

For my training days see the PDFI attached called FULL BODY WORKOUT STARTING NUITRITION which s based on 5 meals a day. In a further post I will indicate the scheduling of the meals. This eating plan is just a start in terms of how I'm changing my eating and would mind some adive. I'm ware the total calories are still smallish but I will continue to intelligently adding the right foods.

In a further post I will attach my non training days nuitrition.

Thanks y'all.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    Your nutrition needs some serious correcting.

For starters, it's showing fat coming in at 33g..that is FAR TOO LOW.
    Recommendation is typically .45g/lb minimum, normally I just round up to .5g/lb for ease of math.

Also, 2300 calories is still likely to be too low to see progression.

I'd start upwards of 2,600/day and adjust from there.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    Another benefit of adding fat is it contains a 2:1 calorie content compared to protein/fat, so it makes it easier to increase your calorie intake without making yourself feel stuffed or eating to the point of getting sick.

Fat is not the enemy, and a higher fat intake will not make your bulk any less lean.
    Your caloric surplus will determine the leanness of your results.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You seem to be stuck on eating "clean" at least from some of the things you've posted here and in other threads. While I'm not saying you need to eat tons of things you might consider "junk", you probably look into supplementing with some calorie dense foods.

The stuff you have currently is a good start, but as others have said you will need more calories for a successful bulk. However, you're already eating a large volume of food, so just trying to increase the amounts of the current foods will likely get you no where fast. You will need to look at foods you might be trying to convince yourself are not "healthy". Add in some ice cream, cookies, peanut butter, etc. You don't need to replace everything you're eating, but you will need to supplement with some more high calorie foods.

And there are higher calorie things that lots of people agree are "healthy" if you can't bring yourself to do pizza or ice cream: nut butters, cheeses, full fat dairy products, avocados, etc.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would avoid pizza, ice cream, burgers...it just blows my mind.

Hell, I'm cutting and these items are still a 2-3 times/week thing.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I have ice cream almost daily- I'm doing a poor job of cutting- but I'm not too worried considering how sick I've been.. but yeah- ice cream- cutting.

it's fine.

Pizza- beer- burgers- all fine if you know how to eat reasonably and create a proper deficit.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Another benefit of adding fat is it contains a 2:1 calorie content compared to protein/fat, so it makes it easier to increase your calorie intake without making yourself feel stuffed or eating to the point of getting sick.

Fat is not the enemy, and a higher fat intake will not make your bulk any less lean.
    Your caloric surplus will determine the leanness of your results.

I agree. If a 5'6" 130 lb woman (me) is bulking on 2700, I'm sure the OP's goals should be at least that!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I have ice cream almost daily- I'm doing a poor job of cutting- but I'm not too worried considering how sick I've been.. but yeah- ice cream- cutting.

it's fine.

Pizza- beer- burgers- all fine if you know how to eat reasonably and create a proper deficit.
    I'm currently completely failing at cutting. I'm just chalking it up to the season and will get back to the cut after the holidays. All the beer...

• JoRocka
    Options
    My body happens to really love this 160 weight- it has for a long time- it's not particularly happy giving it up.

And now I've been insanely sick- so going through excess restriction to try to nudge it down just wasn't making sense.

and yes- all the steak- all the wine- all the beer.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

it's fine.

Agree^^^^

Unfortunately I have been having to lay off a little bit from the ice cream due to having my bagel with cream cheese in the morning. Also, the damn lady at the bagel shop keeps giving me free cookies. The other day she gave me a donut.

She's trying to sabotage me.

Oh lord @ Bagel w/ Cream Cheese!

It's been too long since I've had one of these tasty treats.
    I'm a big fan of the Philadelphia Strawberry Flavor Cream Cheese myself.
  • AMonari
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi all,

@JoRocka: I fully agree with your warm up post and regarding my pre lifting routine this is what I do:

- Cardio warm up for 5 mins on the stairmaster
    - Then full body stretches for roughly 10 mins targeting hamstrings, groin, back, chest, quads, shoulder, triceps, and glutes. I perform watch for 2 sets for 30 secs.

@beastcompany and auddll: Thanks for highlighting fat and which bits I should and shouldn't have. Thanks also for highlighting my combo of foods being good. Essentially I believe what I need to do more research on is the issue of taking in healthy calorie dense foods in moderation. I mention healthy as I have really tried in the 1st 4 months of the last 11 months or so stop the vicious cycle I was on of gouging away on processed foods e.g. freezer based lunches, chocolates, biscuits and pastries (the list continues) which would basically shoot my blood sugar up. In essence this is how I lived.

I've not yet executed the PDF I attached in my last post and yes would like to increase my intake past 2300 calores/day say 2500 calories/day before committing to the plan in confidence I will not regain huge levels of body fat.

Also as I've trained myself to eat what in total is a large quantity of food in 5 small meals a day I have to schedule the caloric surplus in a reasonable way.

In mentioning the above and I know the post from auddll mentions some examples but I'd appreciate further suggestions regarding healthy calorie dense foods .. Are oats a good option particularly http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=262580389?

I absolutely love them.

Either way I'll also do my research on the above.

Thanks.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I got home on Tuesday I think and there was a random bag sitting on my counter- I asked BF dearest- what's that- did you get lunch from the deli- he goes- nope- extra bagels.

???

You can barely eat one bagel- how do you have extra?

She gave them to me?
    >_>

Apparently he went in at 1 PM- and the local lady just tossed 4 in a bag. Something about the Tri-State area- we love our bagels.