workout / how can i eat all my calories

Options
Melissaol
Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
Its 9:00 at night. Just got back from a nice walk. I have 540 calories to eat. How am i going to do that ... help...

Replies

• maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Chocolate milk? Peanuts? Peanut butter on crackers?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Banana + peanuts/peanut butter + milk = success.
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    Some days, that's just how it works out.. you don't need to force feed yourself just because you have calories left in the day. :)

To avoid that situation, maybe eat more during the day, rather than saving it for just before bed.
  • preppie84
    preppie84 Posts: 6
    Options
    Instead of lumping calories together for a late night snack, eat a little more throughout the day to compensate for working out later.
    That way you can still have a small snack after your walk -- just not a 500 calorie one.
  • aangrisani
    aangrisani Posts: 92
    Options
    I think I need to understand this program better, are we supposed to eat all of the calories? I consistently eat under because I am not hungry. My limit is 1700 and j work out daily giving me extra calories to eat and I still eat less.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

^ this. I have been known to make 700 cal shakes when needed.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

agreed...or almonds and regular milk *gasp*
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree, peanut butter and milk have been my go-to's for this occassion.
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know many people here preach eating all of your calories, you dont have too. Eat when your hungry. There is no reason to put food in your mouth if youre not hungry.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I think I need to understand this program better, are we supposed to eat all of the calories? I consistently eat under because I am not hungry. My limit is 1700 and j work out daily giving me extra calories to eat and I still eat less.

As long as you eat at least 1200, I think you should be ok. But I would try having more small snacks in the day to fill up those calories when you need it. I also discovered that unsalted air-popped white popcorn has calories and little else if you really feel you need to up the intake.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else ever feel like they get hungrier the day AFTER a heavy workout? Sometimes I work out later in the day and I notice I might not be super hungry that day, but maybe it transfers over to the next.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    not fruit or sugary things of any kind... not required here.

go for fatty stuff (good fatty stuff obviously), try some avocado and cottage cheese?? Heavy in calories, so you need to eat a load of it...good heap of fat and some protein is what you want at that time.

if im running a little short, i'll mix up a low carb protein shake and add 15 ml of olive oil to it. the olive oil is an east 125 calories of excellent fats that you're body will utilize.

you're aim should be to eat something useful to you're system. so healthy fats and some quality protein shoud be you're aim.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, a handful of nuts, chocolate milk... all good ideas.

That said, I don't always eat every single exercise calorie back. I do try to eat enough to bring me above 1,200 calories for the day.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk??? no. full of ****ty carbs, lol.

the peanut butter is another favourite of mine. one good tablespoon straight in ya mouth! good quick dense calories.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I know many people here preach eating all of your calories, you dont have too. Eat when your hungry. There is no reason to put food in your mouth if youre not hungry.

Depending on goals, some people should.
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options
    You'll get lots of different replies for this one! All depends on your metabolism and fitness goals etc... but I agree with the poster re eating more during the day when you know you are going for a high calorie workout. This is what I do on a tuesday as I have cycle race traning and running. Immediately afterwards I have a banana (as I have a 30 min drive home) then something quick and easy like an omlette or lentil and tomato soup, followed by a fresh fruit smoothie with protien powder or ground almonds.

It is counter intuitive to stuff your face when you dont feel hungry, but try to make up your calories. I didnt think it would work for me but I am losing weight.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

all of these are easy cals.

the main thing is seeing what macros you are short on for the day.
    if you need carbs go with a banana and milk
    if you need protein go with a protein shake and milk
    if you need fats go for peanuts or peanut butter
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I know many people here preach eating all of your calories, you dont have to. Eat when your hungry. There is no reason to put food in your mouth if youre not hungry.
    ^What he says
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options

all of these are easy cals.

the main thing is seeing what macros you are short on for the day.
    if you need carbs go with a banana and milk
    if you need protein go with a protein shake and milk
    if you need fats go for peanuts or peanut butter

thats a great summary!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Zig zag your calories, and eat more the next day to make up for it?