Dieting on a budget?

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You clearly dont go to the supermarket very often, or you would know these things.... surely?
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    theres me OH and 2 kids living on OHs wage so money is tight I cook everything from scratch. buy whole chickens not chicken breast it stretches out further then soup can be made with any left over meat veg and stock made out of the bones, have a google for a girl called jack she is all about budget recipes her mixed bean goulash is lovely works out at 182 calories per serving, chickpea curry is another good one of hers oh and I live off eggs for lunch or tinned tuna then buy the basic salad bits tomato lettuce and cucumber

http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/recipes-food/

^^ a girl called jacks recipe page from her blog
  • HealthyHappy87
    Options
    Soup is your friend if on a budget! If you're in the UK Aldi does a bag of pre-chooped vegetables for £1, stick that in a pan with some stock and a sweet potato/butternut squash and you have 5 lunches worth of soup for £2.50!

Lentil and bacon soup is also cheap to make and filling!

Frozen chicken is cheaper then fresh and you can cook a big curry to last a few days.

Unfortunatly it is more expensive to eat healthily, however with a bit of preperation and frozen alternatives it can be cheaper.
  • HealthyHappy87
    Options
    *Pre-chopped
  • ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Spices make anything tasty.
    That once a year when I grill a steak, it doesn't need anything to make it delicious.

The rest of the year I spice.
    I make a lot of curries. Curry comes in many flavors as they are made everywhere from India to Indonesia, and every region has their own multitude of flavors. At the heart of it, a curry is just a stew or a stir-fry with lots of flavor. And now that you can get low-fat or no-fat coconut milk even the sweet green curries are not hard to make, nor do they have to break your calorie count.
  • uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty good budget Breakfast for everyone....

Ingredients:
    6 eggs
    1 cup liquid egg white
    3.5 oz roasted red peppers (or any other vegetable you like, the original recipe that I adapted used mushrooms)
    3.5 oz of Cheese (you pick, I used Monterrey Jack which is reflected in the stats)
    Salt and Pepper (to taste)
    Cooking Spray

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a standard 12 muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a bowl mix together the eggs and egg whites, season with salt and pepper if desired. Distribute the egg mixture evenly amongst 7 muffin cups (it took me about 1/2 cup per). Then put 1/2 oz of both peppers and cheese into each of the 7 cups.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes after removing them from oven. Muffins will shrink slightly as they cool, this is normal. Serve by themselves, or make a sandwich out of them. Store left overs in a Ziploc bag in the fridge, they should last about 5 days.

Stats:
    -Calories: 124
    -Carbs: 0.5g
    -Fat: 5.0g
    -Protein: 11.5g
    -Sodium: 236.8mg
    -Potassium: 169.3mg

Original recipe can be found in Matt Fitzgerald's, Racing Weight Cookbook.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi, Go tos for me were eggs, potatoes, fresh veg and fruit just for the week, frozen works too and lasts longer, buy protien on sale or reduced when able and portion before freezing. Making soups, stews and cassaroles and freezing portions out with the leftovers, keeping basics on hand in your cupboard like olive oil, pasta, rice, beans, boullion, rolled oats, honey, raw sugar and unbleached flour. Portion control was key for me. Its amazing how far something can stretch when you follow reasonable portion guidelines. Oh, and price matching too if you have time to invest in researching the ads, be sure to read your store's price matching policy so you know exactly what they will accept. Good luck!
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more tip. next time you go shopping try just shopping the perimeter of the store. That is where the featured sales and endcaps are as well as dairy, meat and produce are located (at least they are in Walmart). You will end up buying less prepackaged and more whole foods. the endcaps are any variety of things, but are almost always on sale.
  • CrmpetsNTea
    CrmpetsNTea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if grocery stores in SA have weekly circulars like they do here or not, so this may or may not be helpful. I get the specials at all the grocery stores I like to shop at and see what their loss leaders are for the week. Plan your meals around these items, and if you have freezer space you can buy extra for weeks when you don't have the money.

Once you have a menu, write down all the items you need on your grocery list, and only buy things that are on the list. It's shocking how much extra crap we buy and how much that adds to the food bill!!

Good luck! :)
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great way to cut down costs. I make a big batch of a recipe similar to this and freeze part of it for later http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/skinny-taco-chili-crock-pot-or-stove-top/. I put it in the crock pot, add a can of pintos and use stewed tomatoes instead of diced, can of mexicorn instead of frozen (it has little peppers in it) and add a can of mild diced green chilies and garlic. Sometimes i forget to add the garlic and onions. I also use a homeade taco seasoning so it doesn't have all the salt.

I started shopping once a month and doing a ton of freezer cooking. About half of my food is just prepared and frozen and the other half is cooked and frozen. I took my $900 -1,100 food bill down to $500-600 for a family of 3.

Another favorite in our house is cilantro lime pesto chicken - cube chicken and cook then marinate in pesto (cilantro, lime, garlic). Great tacos or on a salad and freezes great
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Read my earlier post... eat the same, just less and lose weight and save money
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've shopped around for who has the best prices for the foods I eat. I also pick and choose what I'm going to eat each week so if something is on sale that's what I'm eating that week. Also I'm not sure how prices run around the country but I have found several good things in the freezer section at Whole Foods. Their brand 365 Organic has Chicken Fried Rice, Gnocchi Quattro Formaggi and a frozen line of organic quinoa. All are just $3 or $4. Each bag feeds 3 people but my husband and I share a bag. I've also found several different frozen vegetables like edamame 1 lbs bag for $1.99. I also buy some items at Sam's like spinach, mushrooms and other produce. I buy only what I will eat for the next week or 2.
  • happygolucky721
    happygolucky721 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Agree and try to do most. One more thing -- avoid waste and freeze/cook any foods that will go bad before you can eat them. Before vacations, I try to chop up any fresh fruit and freeze for smoothies, any leftover veggies or meats for soups. Or make my own frozen dinners by combining the stuff I already paid for.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions! Also-look at 100 Days of Real Food. They have a whole section on eating well on a budget. It's not a "diet" website, it's a healthy eating site. I second (third??) the crock pot suggestions. I make beans almost once a week--a bag of dry beans is super cheap and I can get many meals out of one crock pot of beans. One night beans and rice, the next night mexican eggs-scrambled eggs with beans and salsa, with or without a tortilla, another night mashed up for nachos or with quinoa for stuffed peppers or with quinoa for a cold salad for lunch. And that's just one pot of beans. I do lots of different kinds of grains--polenta, quinoa, spelt, farro, and brown rice--with various veggies for dinner or for lunches. Pancakes, frittatas, whole grain pasta with tons of veggies--frozen are totally fine--house brand or generic--all fine and cheap.
    It's actually kind of fun if you look at it like a game--how cheaply can I feed myself and my family well???
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    You clearly dont go to the supermarket very often, or you would know these things.... surely?

stuff like this doesn't help. it's judgment, not advice.

and prices vary widely from place to place. in my sister's town a normal sized package of granola bars costs nearly $10. generic butter is nearly $10/lb, a small head of cauliflower $8. can of corn? over $5. availability varies, too. i can't get grits in my town. ever. they've never had it and have no plans to order it in. i can't tell you how many times i've looked at a recipe and scratched my head because i've never heard of an ingredient.

the person who posted this needs ideas. she'll have to take everything people say and sort through to find out what is available in HER town and what's cheap in HER part of her country.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I go to the local market every sunday afternoon when they sell off their fruit and veg in bulk. Whatever is available, I grab, and create my menu for the week around whatever is in season. Last two weeks was eggplants- stuffed eggplants, eggplant in curry, eggplant lasagna, etc etc.

I'm also a massive fan of the frozen spinach cubes from supermarkets. Very good at getting some bulk for very cheap, spinach curries with added chickpeas and chicken = cheap as.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Hubby has coffee and six eggs, I have coffee and fruit.
    Lunch: Hubby has leftovers, I don't typically eat lunch.
    Dinner: Tonight, we're having grilled chicken with grilled root vegetables and sautéed cabbage.

Find a local farmer, explain the situation. I happily give away my excess meat/fruit/veggies to those who can't afford food.

That being said, I have laughed people out of my yard when they drive up in an escalade while talking on a freaking iphone 6 and THEN proceed to tell me they cant buy food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I hope Chloe comes back. I remember the days I cooked on a budget.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    See if you have a Grocery Salvage store in your area. You can get great deals on even organic food. And if you have room enough in your freezer, you can really stock up. The selection varies and you have to check dates, but it is worth it. I was pregnant and I fed myself, husband and daughter on a tight month for $150. If that place was closer to me, I would do almost all my shopping there!