Under Desk excercisers

Options
rbfdac
rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
Inspired by a response to another topic posted (How to exercise at work), I have started to research under desk steppers, bicycles, and ellipticals. Has anybody used any of these types of "trainers" and if so, which type did you use and what were your thoughts?

And although I'm sure I'll get some of the "Can't you work out after work?" comments-- I am simply interested in moving more at my desk job; I have a tiny office with no space to walk around, and only a 30 minute lunch. I am simply interested in your experience with these machines, as there are so many out there with so many different reviews that I'm having a hard time deciding which one to try, if any.

Replies

• gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic idea! I thought about getting a standing desk, and I also heard about sitting on an exercise ball instead of an office chair. But I hadn't considered an under the desk stepper.
  • rbfdac
    Options
    Since I haven't really heard any feedback from anybody who has actually used one, I think in the next week or so I am going to take the plunge and order one. I can update when I do!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My boss has a desk that can move to be a standing desk or a regular desk. He loves it.
  • feathernaut
    feathernaut Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that before, but please do let us know. I'd like to do more at work than sit, too.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    I have one of those pedal things that can go under a desk. I had to remove the keyboard tray in order to use it, and I still bump my knees a bit (and I'm only 5'4"). I actually don't use it much because it makes it harder to type. If you do get one, make sure you get some oil to lube it up because they squeak.

I guess I should also say that my desk is a pretty large desk. My boss ordered the most fabulous office furniture available from the supplier when he outfitted everyone's office. Lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    By and large I think those little under desk pedals and such are gimmicky. They are going to do very little to actually improve your overall fitness level and the amount of additional calories you burn is likely to be pan-amount to extra fidgeting.

Most people I know who've used them do so for a short time...and then they just sit there in the corner of their cubicle or office.

IMHO, there are far more effective means of improving your NEAT. And there's no way that kind of stuff can even come close to replacing deliberate, moderate intensity exercise.

The stand up desks on the other hand are pretty awesome...
  • rbfdac
    Options
    I have one of those pedal things that can go under a desk. I had to remove the keyboard tray in order to use it, and I still bump my knees a bit (and I'm only 5'4"). I actually don't use it much because it makes it harder to type. If you do get one, make sure you get some oil to lube it up because they squeak.

I guess I should also say that my desk is a pretty large desk. My boss ordered the most fabulous office furniture available from the supplier when he outfitted everyone's office. Lol.

Do you have the bicycle one or a stair stepper one? I am tall and don't have a lot of room between my legs and the underside of the desk, but I have thought about raising the desk (books) if I can find a stepper to work for me.
  • rbfdac
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    By and large I think those little under desk pedals and such are gimmicky. They are going to do very little to actually improve your overall fitness level and the amount of additional calories you burn is likely to be pan-amount to extra fidgeting.

Most people I know who've used them do so for a short time...and then they just sit there in the corner of their cubicle or office.

IMHO, there are far more effective means of improving your NEAT. And there's no way that kind of stuff can even come close to replacing deliberate, moderate intensity exercise.

Yes, there are more effective ways of improving your NEAT, but any movement is better than no movement at work. It's also highly unlikely that constantly pedaling/stepping on an under the desk machine for 15 minutes straight several times a day will equal the same amount of calories burned if I just randomly twitched my legs a little more.

Additionally, I never said that I was looking in to this method in order to replace deliberate, moderate intensity exercise. I believe I actually even clarified in my original post that I was simply interested in moving more at work .

Stand up desks come with their own sets of issues- I don't know if you have ever worked a job where you stand constantly for 8+ hours a day, but it's killer on your joints and feet, overweight or not.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,937 Member
    Options
    I researched them in the past and decided against buying one. Reading reviews showed my that people didn't have enough space to move their legs vertically and all of them would slide if they used more horizontal motions, even ones that said they wouldn't. Some people complained that they couldn't turn up the resistance for the same reason so they were too easy to use. For me, I couldn't risk the $$ for one without really having seen more positive reviews than negative. But I also didn't have the opportunity to try one out in person.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »

Yes, there are more effective ways of improving your NEAT, but any movement is better than no movement at work. It's also highly unlikely that constantly pedaling/stepping on an under the desk machine for 15 minutes straight several times a day will equal the same amount of calories burned if I just randomly twitched my legs a little more.

Additionally, I never said that I was looking in to this method in order to replace deliberate, moderate intensity exercise. I believe I actually even clarified in my original post that I was simply interested in moving more at work .

Stand up desks come with their own sets of issues- I don't know if you have ever worked a job where you stand constantly for 8+ hours a day, but it's killer on your joints and feet, overweight or not.

Meh, I had one...take it or leave it...you wanted advice, and I gave it. That's my experience. Every time I see one of your posts I can't help but think you're one of those people that just wants to hear what they want to hear. You should just start your threads off that way.

I'd give you mine, but it's not even worth the shipping.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My office won't give anyone a stand up desk unless they require it due to medical reasons. We are also not allowed to use stability balls as chairs for safety reasons. I had one of the bicycle ones for under my desk or watching tv at home. I don't remember the brand, but it always just slid away on me. More of a pain then anything.
  • rbfdac
    Options
    Meh, I had one...take it or leave it...you wanted advice, and I gave it. That's my experience. Every time I see one of your posts I can't help but think you're one of those people that just wants to hear what they want to hear. You should just start your threads off that way.

You're a lovely little fella now, aren't you? Perhaps the next time you see my posts, you should just keep on movin'. I am absolutely not one of "those" people who wants to hear what I want to hear. I'm one of those people who has noticed that nobody can ask a question on this forum and just get a straight answer to the question that they asked. There is always extra advice with a nice layer of judgement on top.

I asked for thoughts from those who have used these machines and ended up with your response about how this machine can't replace "true" exercise (ya think?).

As a parting gift I'll just point out that never in your response did you mention that you, personally, had tried one of these machines.

"Most people I know who've used them do so for a short time...and then they just sit there in the corner of their cubicle or office." <--- This implies that you did not use this machine, but you have known others who have, and they have not cared for them.

• rbfdac
    Options
    My office won't give anyone a stand up desk unless they require it due to medical reasons. We are also not allowed to use stability balls as chairs for safety reasons. I had one of the bicycle ones for under my desk or watching tv at home. I don't remember the brand, but it always just slid away on me. More of a pain then anything.

Was it used on carpet on a smoother surface? I have also read that this happens to others.

• rbfdac
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I researched them in the past and decided against buying one. Reading reviews showed my that people didn't have enough space to move their legs vertically and all of them would slide if they used more horizontal motions, even ones that said they wouldn't. Some people complained that they couldn't turn up the resistance for the same reason so they were too easy to use. For me, I couldn't risk the $$ for one without really having seen more positive reviews than negative. But I also didn't have the opportunity to try one out in person.

I wish I knew somebody who had one so I could just try it out before spending the $$ on one! I ready good reviews about a bicycle one (can't think of the brand offhand), but the price tag is $149.99!

• mizzougal11
    mizzougal11 Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have a pro-stamina elliptical trainer under my desk and I'm using it at this very moment. I love it; I've been using it daily since August 2013 and it's held up really well.

The only potential negative is that it really doesn't work too well if you sit in a swivel chair. I actually have a folding chair that I get out while I'm using it. The height of the folding chair gives me plenty of leg room underneath my desk (as in, I'm not knocking my knees on the desk).

For my use, it was well worth the money ($99 on Amazon).
  • rbfdac
    Options
    I have a pro-stamina elliptical trainer under my desk and I'm using it at this very moment. I love it; I've been using it daily since August 2013 and it's held up really well.

The only potential negative is that it really doesn't work too well if you sit in a swivel chair. I actually have a folding chair that I get out while I'm using it. The height of the folding chair gives me plenty of leg room underneath my desk (as in, I'm not knocking my knees on the desk).

For my use, it was well worth the money ($99 on Amazon).

Do you find the noise bothersome? Can you tell any sort of difference with it?
  • cwolfman13
    Options

You're a lovely little fella now, aren't you? Perhaps the next time you see my posts, you should just keep on movin'. I am absolutely not one of "those" people who wants to hear what I want to hear. I'm one of those people who has noticed that nobody can ask a question on this forum and just get a straight answer to the question that they asked. There is always extra advice with a nice layer of judgement on top.

I asked for thoughts from those who have used these machines and ended up with your response about how this machine can't replace "true" exercise (ya think?).

As a parting gift I'll just point out that never in your response did you mention that you, personally, had tried one of these machines.

"Most people I know who've used them do so for a short time...and then they just sit there in the corner of their cubicle or office." <--- This implies that you did not use this machine, but you have known others who have, and they have not cared for them.

Meh...I think my response was pretty straight forward and factual. I wasn't aware that I had to directly tell you I had one for my opinion to matter. Whatever...go blow $150...in fact, I'll sell you mine and give you free shipping.

• rbfdac
    Options

Meh...I think my response was pretty straight forward and factual. I wasn't aware that I had to directly tell you I had one for my opinion to matter. Whatever...go blow $150...in fact, I'll sell you mine and give you free shipping.

You can leave now, thanks.

• rbfdac
    Options
    deliacm wrote: »

I hadn't run across this one on Amazon yet. Thanks! It looks like it has excellent reviews.