Advice needed and appreciated.

Options
Hi all.
I am wanting some words of advice. I am currently 206 lbs and 5'4. I have been eating around 1000-1300 calories per day. I usually walk in y treadmill 3-4 days a week for around 40 minutes each time. Up until now I had been losing at least two sometimes four pounds a week. But this week I didn't lose at all and even gained around 2 pounds. Nothing has changed in my diet. I even walked every single day this week almost 3 miles each day. I know it was just one week but I was wondering if I have reached the dreaded plateau or what. I might should mention I am ovulating this week but I have never noticed this making a difference before. Thank you!!

Replies

• getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am sure many people will tell you this, but firstly, you really shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day. It slows your metabolism, making you gain weight back faster and then eventually it makes it even harder to lose the weight. Secondly- body weight fluctuates all the time... So it could just be a slight variation. I find that scale shouldn't been an end all be all... You should also measure yourself... Since I started getting into full on weight lifting and I am technically almost 10 lbs heavier than my goal weight... HOWEVER, measurement wise, I am smaller... I actually went down 2 sizes after a couple weeks- at a heavier weight... Just something to think about!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I weigh like 40lbs less than you and work out as much as you and I eat 1900 calories. Your goal is too aggressive.

You are either retaining water or you are eating more than you think. Or both.
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A person's weight can go up and down all the time. You're also increasing your activity while eating a very small amount of calories.

I probably won't be the only one to say this (and if you read anyone else's posts you'll see the same thing, ad naseum)...eat more. Yep. Eat more food. Also, be patient. Give yourself at least 8 weeks of consistent clean eating. Are you tracking every nibble and bite? Are you watching the amount of water you're consuming and the sodium content (could be water weight you've gained)?

Take measurements and don't stress about the scale. Sometimes the scale can be a dirty *kitten* and oftentimes if that number doesn't move, the measurements will.

• abrown286
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I honestly don't feel like I am eating enough. I think I will try and up my calories a little bit each week.
  • abrown286
    Options
    I actually think I might STOP tracking for a few weeks and see how that goes. It honestly stresses me out so much and if I get to 800 calories I start freaking. I think that would be best for me.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just as overeating is an unhealthy relationship with food, so is undereating... I think it takes everyone a while to figure out that its ok and you dont have to eat 1200 cals to lose weight... I know there was a point when I would freak out if I ate more than 1000 cals... But it was all in my head... I was losing weight... But I didnt feel healthy... Another thing that helped me was switching over to 5-6 small meals a day... I was eating enough but I didn't feel like a pig each time because the meals were smaller! Eating should still be a good experience, even when you're changing your diet! So ENJOY IT! (with moderation of course!)
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates a lot, so I would worry about 1 bad weigh-in. I will repeat that you are eating too little. You need to fuel your body for it to function properly. Also, combining really low calorie intake with low intensity cardio is a good way to reduce your metabolic capacity, which leads to a plateau. At that point, you really won't have anywhere to go. I'd make some changes now, before that happens. Start being a little more aggressive with your workouts. High intensity interval training (40 yard sprints for example) is vastly superior for losing body fat compared to low level exercise (walking). Check this video out that describes some of the dangers of that type of plan.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my weight graph.

WeightTrends.JPG

The blue diamonds are estimates, the red, actual. Up until two weeks ago I weighed in once a week.

As you can see, the scale gives all sorts of readings, but the general trend is downward.

I agree with you to not worry about going over so much, and work hard at getting at least 1,200 calories a day.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Compare your weight today to your weight a month ago. So much can affect your weight on a day to day basis, but over time you want to see a downward trend. As women our cycles DO affect our weight - so comparing to a month ago gives a better view of your process/progress.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, your weight can fluctuate a lot.

You definitely need to adjust your calories....1000 is way too low and aggressive. Contact a nutritionist or therapist if you are having a questionable relationship with weight, food, etc.