Can't #2

Options
Hi There,

On day 10 of calorie restriction. I'm 29, F, 5'4", 137 lbs. I've reduced my calories to 1300-1400 per day. I've been hitting my macros pretty well and have been meeting my fiber goal of 25g/day or more. But I haven't pooped in almost a week (Dec 5). I don't feel full or bloated, but I would like to go- I'm thinking I should need to go by now.

I've been doing some "light exercising": walking for an hour or so and a 5K 4x/week with a bit of weight lifting at home and doing a yoga DVD. But I am quite active doing my job. I don't add in my exercise calories and instead just set my lifestyle to active. I've dropped 3.2lbs since Dec 2.

What should I do about it? I have ex-lax but really don't want to take it if I don't need to. Will eating a bit more tonight maybe do the trick?

Thanks, and sorry.

Replies

• miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    coffee helps me go, maybe try prunes or prune juice.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    More water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If it's been over five days, you should call your doctor.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound ridiculous but I swear, it works!!!
    First thing in the morning, drink a glass of icewater...fast, followed immediately by a cup of whatever HOT beverage you choose, as hot as you can to drink it quickly. Something about the temperature change gets things moving! I do ice water followed by coffee or tea. Works EVERY time!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    In addition to more water, make sure you your fat macro target is high enough. I noticed that one of the side effects of a lot of Vitamin C is loose stools ..... if there aren't any medical contraindications to taking 1000 mg or even 2000 mg in addition to more water and enough fat, that might be sufficient to make your plumbing move. But don't do that if you are also taking NSAIDs.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I did a diet a few years ago that restricted my calories to about what you are eating. I only "went" maybe once every 10 days. When I did go it would be small. It was explained to me that when u eat so little your body hangs onto it for dear life to suck every ounce of nutrition it can out of it.

Don't have any sources for this, just anecdotal info. My stats are similar to yours.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'll try drinking more water and maybe make myself a cup of coffee tomorrow. I don't really care for coffee but I know a lot of people who swear by it. I"m so busy at work, I don't really have much time to make pit stops sadly so I tend to not drink as much as I should.
    Thank you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A doctor will be able to prescribe you something that will flush you out. Going only once a week must be terrible for your body.
    I have to take magnesium to help me go, any more than 2 days and I get horrendous stomach cramps and vomit bile. I can't imagine how I'd feel after a week :(
  • CharleneMarie723
    Options
    Going to the DR is not an option for me right now. I need a home remedy.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    This stuff is awesome. It's just magnesium oxide. But it will loosen up even the most stubborn bowels.
  • Christine_72
    Options
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'll try drinking more water and maybe make myself a cup of coffee tomorrow. I don't really care for coffee but I know a lot of people who swear by it. I"m so busy at work, I don't really have much time to make pit stops sadly so I tend to not drink as much as I should.
    Thank you.

Also, try to find some down time for yourself. I tend to not go when I am constantly on the run. This may only apply to me but it is worth a try.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but I really don't think your calorie goal is low enough that you would stop being ummm regular because of that. Make sure you are at least drinking enough water to not be dehydrated, and as someone else mentioned make sure you aren't eating too low fat. You've already heard all the home remedies I know of. I think the coffee idea is probably the most convenient :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of raisin bran. That's what helps me when I need a remedy.
  • CharleneMarie723
    Options
    I've had sushi two nights in a row, miso soup both times. It is possible the sodium is backing me up?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Get an overnight stool softener from the pharmacy. I only needed it the once and my system kick started back up.
  • yourpalsoap
    yourpalsoap Posts: 88
    edited December 2014
    Options
    people always say coffee helps but that's actually a common misconception. caffeine dehydrates you and the major cause for constipation is dehydration... drink lots of water, keep getting enough fiber, and don't worry about it if you don't have stomach cramps or anything.

I ~go every 7 days, sometimes longer, and it used to be a running joke in my family but I've seen lots of doctors over the years who've said it's nothing to worry about.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Coffee doesn't work for me like it does for most people. Go to your health food shop, they'll have something that will help you.
    One thing you can do at home, but is disgusting. Add 2 tablespoons of hymalayan sea salt to a litre of warm water and chug it down as quickly as possible, followed by more water. It'll move things along within a couple of hours. But make sure and stay near a toilet :o
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

Also, try to find some down time for yourself. I tend to not go when I am constantly on the run. This may only apply to me but it is worth a try.

Another good reason to call in sick and relax - I love it! :drinker:

"shhh, leave mommy alone. She needs to relax so her body can make a poop." I really think I could get some use out of that...
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    maybe try eating more rice and corn foods rather than flour? i remember when i would eat my fit foods for two meals daily and i was very regular. i think they're "gluten free" in most of their meals, but i remember eating meals of rice, corn tortillas, beans and sweet potatoes for carbs.

or maybe just eat yourself some greasy mexican food :)