I just ate two slices of cake... on my first day.

Options

Replies

• ALMorales311
    ALMorales311 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun, yes! I love all of the foods that I planned for.

Thank you for the advice!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP - I know it's hard but try not to interpret the feedback as snarky. Developing a program you can live with forever, ie the lifestyle change, is one of the keys to long term success on MFP. Things you can do to enable that lifestyle change include:

1. Setting reasonable goals and expectations, with regards to rate of loss (ie 1 lb/week not 2 lbs/wk)
    2. Once you have a reasonable expectation with regards to the rate of loss, then set a reasonable calorie goal for the day (1,250 is very low, even for someone 5'3. Anecdotally, I am 5'2 and lost weight at 1500 net cals at first, then at 1650 once I got closer to my goal)
    3. Use the system the way it is designed. If using the MFP settings, you are meant to eat back your exercise calories, at least a portion of them, so that you are netting the calorie goal for the day. If you exercise and burn 300 cals, eat back 150 or more of those calories as the burn estimates can be inflated.
    4. Eat good food. Flavorful food. A variety of food. People who commented that your meal plan sounded boring didn't mean it in a judgemental way, it sounds... Repetitive. Bland. Are those better adjectives?
    5. Don't restrict food because you think it is "bad". If you want cake, that's fine, eat a piece of cake. Work it into your calories for the day. If you can't, wait till tomorrow.

Read the sexypants thread, it will help tremendously, and keep an open mind to the feedback.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Any chance you would be willing to swap the fried eggs for hard boiled? That would save some calories for snacks.

I definitely think planned snacks between breakfast and lunch would help you. My two favorite snacks are pistachios or almonds with fruit and cheese, and yogurt with fruit. Both can be under 200 calories, leaving 800-1000 for your other three meals.

When trying to eat with limited calories, the food choices we make are very important to being successful. Find lower calorie options for each meal/snack so you can spread your calories throughout the day.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were over-hungry by your next meal. Add a between meal snack with protein and some water. Tomorrow is a new day, live and learn. Don't give up
  • ALMorales311
    ALMorales311 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri, thank you. I was most likely just being defensive. I was simply taken off guard by the lack of encouragement. I thought that's what this site was all about. -shrugs-

Thank you so much for the input. It really helps a lot!

I am still in the process of reading the Sexypants threat, and I have also bookmarked it for future reference.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks to all of you that actually had supportive and educational input. No thanks to those with snarky comments. I'm not an expert at this. I am only 5'3", and I don't have the money, time, or space to cook intricate meals, so of course my meals are going to be boring. I'm not happy about it, but I do with what I can...

I will try to find cheap, healthy BORING snacks that I can have between meals. I live with my in-laws, so I don't have the refrigerator space to cook ahead.

Thanks again for all of the input!

I just went by what myfitnesspal told me. My calculated calorie goal from myfitnesspal is 1,250, and all of my food (minus the cake) summed up to 1,187 calories. I'm a 23-year-old female, 150 lbs., and 5'3".

Like I said, I'm not an expert... I don't have the drive to work out everyday, so I thought what I was doing is best.

If anyone has any positive and encouraging advice on how many calories I SHOULD be eating, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am also 5'3 and MFP gave me 1220 cal/day and suddenly I found the drive to work out every day :) Okay not every day...

I'm a boring eater, here's my normal daily:

2 eggs & hashbrowns for breakfast @8am
    1 yogurt + granola for lunch @12pm
    1 banana or apple snack @3pm
    Dinner (salad mostly) @6pm
    Snack (popcorn etc) @7pm
    Desert (popsicle) @8pm

You can see that I don't go very long without putting something in my gaping maw stomach, and also that I kinda fill up those evening hours with planned snacks because I am hungrier then. And breakfast and lunch are close together.
    OH and especially for breakfast and lunch I try to mix protein and carbs for fullness.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Rather than go for it all out I would suggest that you take baby steps to adapt to your plan and give you a feeling of progression. Just logging properly, ;earning stuff from the forums and starting to get some exercise on a regular basis would be great starts. It would be like a test run without as much pressure and during which you could expect to deal with such niggles as cake and work out how to handle it. This way you would avoid disappointment fom the stress you place on yourself and your desure to get fit and healthy.

I would emphasise that exercise can be of significant assistance for people who are depressed.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bad days happen - log every calorie though, seeing your calories and where they will take you if you don't do something about it you seems to help the motivation - if you can't eat at your deficit every day, try stay in deficit at least for the week - it seems to get easier over time - forgive yourself and move on
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think its easy to misread things especially if you were feeling rubbish to begin with re the cake, the 8yo comment might have been worded more tactfully but I think the general gist was dont go for such a huge deficit if its going to make you so miserable you splurge. The sexy pants thread is great reading. I would definitely go for the 1lb a week loss. It still works out as 3.5 stone in a year and I am assuming you have nowhere near that to lose based on being 150lb and 5 foot 3. I am aiming at 2lb a week on 1500 cals but I have 70lb on you. What is your weakness, would it help to work it in. I allow about 200 a day for chocolate. Might mean a few changes elsewhere but I dont go batsh*t crazy and start assaulting random strangers that way. Whatever you do it needs to be something you are happy with long term. You can always start afresh tomorrow. It always comes around.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    (I hope that I am posting this on the right board!)

First of all, I want nothing more than to be healthy and fit... but for some reason, I have very little will power when it comes to food.

I don't know if it's the antidepressant I am on (Effexor XR), or that I am currently menstruating (Sorry if that's TMI, but we are all adults.), but I had everything planned out today to eat healthy and exercise.

Now, I am really bummed out because I pretty much ruined it.

This was my meal plan for the day:

Breakfast
    • 1 Fried egg
    • 1/2 peanut butter sandwich (natural pb and whole wheat bread)
    • 1 banana

Lunch
    • 1 can of tuna
    • 1 slice of whole wheat bread
    • 1 cup of shredded lettuce

Dinner
    • 2 fried eggs
    • 1 1/2 cup of broccoli
    • 1 cup of brown rice

This all fell under my calorie goal, and I was excited about it. The reason I plan my meals UNDER my calorie goal is so that if I can't muster up the energy to work out, I know I didn't go over my calorie limit. I suffer from Clinical Depression, and it is hard some days to motivate. :/ So, I try to be realistic with myself.

Anyway, I ate my breakfast fine (9 am). I had a lot of energy, and I felt good! Then, around lunch time (3 pm), I was really really hungry. My stomach was growling, my head started hurting a little bit, and I was getting irritated... So, I ate my lunch that I had planned... remembered there was cake in the refrigerator, and next thing I know, I am looking down at a plate of cake with two missing pieces.

-sigh-

Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong here? Is it seriously just lack of will power, or am I doing something wrong?

Normally, I will eat lots of carbs, but I am trying to cut down on SO MANY carbs because I am trying to create a balance.

Any advice, anyone? Normally I would just do something like this and think, "Oh well... I can do better tomorrow..." but it just keeps happening and happening and happening... So, I figure posting in the forum would be a new approach and might help for future reference!

Disclaimer: I have not read beyond this one post.

Don't wait so long to eat your next meal. Plan better next time. Include snacks throughout the day. Plan to include cake or other treats in your daily menu.

Add more veggies to your plan.

No reason to eat below your calorie goal. Set your goal so as not to include a workout. When you do workout eat back half the calories it says you burned.

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    And yeah, non-hardcore posters do find a lot of the comments on these boards snarky for some strange reason - I'm guessing some feel entitled to be snippy because they read and write thousands of posts and have no patience for those who don't
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong here?

Your diet would put an 8 year old in a deficit

This.

Ignoring the fact that I didn't just fall off the wagon today I quite intentionally jumped off into a bag of fries and a bar of chocolate (I'm at log in day 120). Your food is like my breakfast and lunch alone. Not even snacks or dinner.

This^^^ Add some calories, don't wait so long until you are famished to feed your body- it will rebel with GIVE ME THAT CAKE NOW or anything else you see that looks remotely good.

Like others have said- add in snacks- healthy ones that fit into your macros

I fell off the wagon yesterday with a chocolate croissant - wayyyyyy over my carb limit for the whole day! And I am on day 150 of logging- so it happens to everyone- but those of us that are successful- 42 lbs down, don't let one day stop us and we move on - maybe post a little complaint about it to our friends, get some encouragement there and move on!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP, I think as you learn more (and explore what other people are eating--look in diaries), you'll find more foods that you can add to your list of possibilities. Do you like avocados? Sometimes, even half an avocado gets me through a few hours.

But, back to your original problem. I get it. I have done this too. Let me tell you about a day I got all spun up in the "I pretty much ruined it" brain game. I hadn't ruined it yet. Like you, I realized that there was a tasty treat in my house. I wanted that treat. I knew I wasn't going to have time to work out, so eating the treat was going to ruin the caloric goal for that day. I started feeling really crappy. "Why don't I have the willpower to just say 'no' to it? Why do I give in? I know I don't have time to work out and yet, the treat wins!!"

And then I had a realization... it was all in my head. I hadn't had the treat. My brain was working through it so fast, that I had mentally logged the calories into MFP when I hadn't eaten them yet. That's when I realized I needed to slow down when the treat train came by. Before you blow it, think about it. Think about logging the treat. In fact, go log it. Watch what happens to your diary. Think about it again. Was there really room for it? Sometimes there's room. Sometimes, I just want my dang treat. But other times, I realize, "Nah. Not worth it and I'll just be frustrated that I had a moment of weakness for a cupcake that wasn't even that good, and I'll wish I didn't eat it." (And when that happens, you've turned a mental corner.)

Food for thought ;)
    ~Curly

eta: It's your first day. Cut yourself some slack. This is a loooong learning curve. If you're on MFP, you've probably had a setback or two. One day at a time.
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't keep cake in my house for this very reason. I know some may argue that maybe that isn't the right method, but I know myself and I know how maniacal I get over sweets. I've been following my meal plan for 10 days now, and I feel stronger in the face of foods that tempt me. I think the longer you go the easier it is. I've been doing so well, and losing, that I reconsider how "worth it" some things really are. And is it really that good? Like, i'd rather savor one square of really awesome dark chocolate than eat a big serving of garbage confectionary.

And for me, faux desserts can tide me over. Even just one cup of hot chocolate at 90 calories is a perfect way for me not to feel deprived and to keep myself on track. There are plenty of recipes online for "mug cakes" that clock in at decent calorie counts to keep you satisfied also.

I agree about making your meals a little more exciting. A can of tuna with bread and lettuce? ICK.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Why did you do that? Eat the cake I mean. I'm not being judgmental, I'm just saying...Ask yourself why. I tend to sabotage myself and I have to wonder, did I do it because I was hungry or what?

Also, did you set MFP to sedentary? If you did, it shouldn't matter if you exercised or not. Your deficit is your deficit when you use the NEAT method.

Also, banana :neutral_face: You could have some meat for the calories that a banana has, or literally like 2 more eggs if it was a big/heavy one. It would help keep you more satiated. You'll find more ways to add to your diet to keep you full, and you'll find ways to have that piece of cake and stay within your deficit. Good luck!
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I agree that 1250 may be too low. I'm 5 feet tall. I could lose about 1 lb/week eating around 1450-1500 calories a day even without working out. I get too hungry if I dropped below 1300. Some inexpensive ideas might be bananas, fiber one bars, grapes, peanuts, oatmeal.

Don't be too hard on yourself over the cake. It's a leaning process and it's great that you're here looking for help and support. I think that's awesome!
    Good luck.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Will power is finite. I have been at this for 3 years and have had many days where I still binge. I just have more responsible days than binge days, so I have made progress. Controlling calories will lead to weight loss. However, I think that strategy alone usually fails people in the long run (90+% of all people who diet gain the weight back). The real fix is to determine the reasons, other than hunger, that you eat. This is even more tricky with clinical depression in the mix. I have stopped logging my food here and have started eating more mindfully. Slow down. Process before binging. Asking if I am really hungry or just bored..or just want the taste sensation..or just want comfort...or whatever.. Don't beat yourself up. Let go of the self-imposed guilt and try again tomorrow.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm close to your height and a lot older. AND a yo-yo dieter. (And I deal with the whole depression thing, so I totally and utterly feel ya there)

I lose pretty comfortably at more like 1680 calories a day (averaged over 70-odd days). You can take a look at my diary and see what I eat if you're interested. I do work out a fair ole amount (swimmer) but with a depression problem, you might want to consider getting in a bit of movement that makes you happy if you can manage it and eating a little more. Being underfed can be a trigger to some people.

As far as "boring" don't sweat it. I eat a lot of eggs, too *grin* They're cheap and quick.
  • jfmejia
    Options
    I wrecked my diet the past 5 days. Cutting back on my antidepressant and I think that is why. I had to do TWO hours on my elliptical to make up for it. 1 hour earlier like planned but added another hour tonight because I am an a-hole. So what I do is be accountable for everything I eat. I don't lose weight on 1200 calories a day like most people. I need to go buy some apples and veggies...adding low cal stuff that is good and good for you and very filling is a great way to feel full...now go work off that cake - don't beat yourself up.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    OP, I've been on MFP on and off for a few years now. I just made my return this past week after being gone for... look, who even knows? Point is that, my very first day back, I had 2,600 calories. My goal is 1,600. I was furious with myself, and I couldn't believe how easy it was to go over (in my case, WAY over) when I'm not paying the slightest attention. But, I'm very glad I had such a day, because it has motivated me to do better each and every day so far (seriously, the graphs on my reports are a downward slope on calories and an upward slope on exercise). You messed up, it sucks hard, but now you know how easily it can happen, and you can be a little more armed against it.

I try to plan all of my meals in the morning, if the fridge is well-stocked and I know what's here. If not, I can at least plan my breakfast, a snack, and lunch ahead of time. Logging my foods at the start of my day (or for some, the day before) makes it so much easier to put things into perspective. Instead of just logging as I go, then getting to dinner and realizing I only have 40 calories left - I can plug in all my meals, see that after I plug in my dinner, I'm OVER by a couple hundred, and then cut out an ingredient in my breakfast and/or replace my mid-afternoon snack with something not so calorie-dense (or, if I need to remove the snack altogether, I'll just have my lunch an hour later so I'm not quite so hungry by dinner). As many others have said, plan to have cake another day, or when you start your morning, plan to have cake. And DEFINITELY snack, drink plenty of water, etc. And I'm not sure if it's an issue for you, since I see no beverages in your original post, but either cutting out drinkable calories (sweet tea, soda, coffee with cream and sugar) or planning for them in advance will help a lot too.