How many rest days do you take a week?

Options
I usually take one complete day of doing nothing however am considering taking 2 a week. Wednesdays & Saturdays.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I take Sundays completely off.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Two. Saturdays and Sundays - aside from the usual walk with the dog, I don't exercise on either day.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I used to do one. But I would still do like barn work and ride horse and not count that as exercise. But I've recently upped my intensity and length of workouts and am going to take two days a week off for some time and see how that goes.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I generally do yoga every day, but I have 2-3 "rest" days per week in which I don't lift and do minimal cardio/HIIT.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've heard of leg day, chest day, arm day... but no rest day. What is that muscle? How do you train it?

3 days ;)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Sundays are my rest day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One...but I still walk my dog about 3 miles on Sunday and am generally active. I have a 4 y.o. and a 2 y.o....there really isn't any such thing as an actual "rest" day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My running room coach advised that I can add a different activity on my "rest" days without harm. I have progressed to the point that my muscles are twitchy and want to do something on rest days. But I am sternly advised not to do more running!

My schedule these days:
    M - run
    T - rest or Zumba
    W - run and Zumba
    T - rest
    F - run and Yoga
    S - rest
    S - run
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    On average zero per week but my workouts are sufficiently varied in both impact and intensity and I've been at it long enough that the biggest adaptive phases are ancient history (kinda like my hair....).

Both weight lifting and running are activities that require recovery days but those can still be active recovery (walking, swimming, biking etc). If you feel the need to take a complete rest day do it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I just started exercising in August after being sedentary my whole life. I have medical conditions that pretty much dictate a 3 days exercise (strength training and cardio)/1 day rest schedule or else I crash and burn.

Today would have been a rest day, and I wanted to try to do yoga, but got hit with a migraine in the middle of the routine. Figures! I think it's something I'll keep working towards, though.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I take one or two days off from serious exercise, but depending on how I feel, I'll often walk for 2-4 miles on those days, or go for a bike ride with my wife (a workout for her is recovery for me). Next month I'll have to take a week off (after oral surgery); I'm hoping I don't go stir crazy!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Two; Sat and Sun. I try to get as much sleep as possible (maybe even 10 hours each) before I get up. I tend to eat less since my physical activity and time to eat is more limited. I find that my muscle repair and weight loss are boosted by this double rest day. I try to push myself really hard M-F (plus work) and have the weekend to look forward to to recover. It's working so far.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Currently just one, Saturday. Some training cycles I'll have three or even four. I enjoy them although I do tend to be up and moving all day long anyways
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    1-2
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you consider walking 6+ km daily exercise, then I do not rest at all. I work out 6 days a week, but walk all 7.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    2, wednesdays and sundays. Sundays are nothing at all, I don't even leave the house. Wednesdays I am still working which is quite a bit of walking, plus run my errands and a lot of times go to the mall which is one of the largest malls out there so there's a lot of walking lol so I don't necessarily count it as a full rest day.
  • Heather1983v
    Heather1983v Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One, My day off is Monday's. Tuesday-Friday I work out in the gym at my condo. Saturday & Sunday's I go to Orange Theory Fitness.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I walk 1 1\2 hours with a friend every weekday. I try to get in a run every other day. I lift just about every day, alternating between upper, lower and core. I do a lot of cardio but I just started running last March and love it, and walking with my friend is what got me started on losing weight and getting in shape. I credit her for getting me motivated so I won't give up the walking either.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mondays, unless I'm off work that day. Saturdays are supposed to be my HIIT days, but I work early and am so tired when I get home, I'm usually not ready to go until 6 when they close.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    heavy lift 4 days, rest 3 days. but i'm always active walking or doing something fun every day.