So scientifically, when does the fat come off?

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I once learned on these here fora that you pee it out and it looks like chicken fat floating in the toilet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I do alternate day fasting.

Ah....that seems to correlate with days you yell at me....

:drinker:

Oh hush :p I am not HANGRY :s hehe xx
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I once learned on these here fora that you pee it out and it looks like chicken fat floating in the toilet.

Epic thread recall FTW!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your body is actually processing fat (and other stuff) all the time. When the rate at which it is using fat exceeds the rate at which it is storing fat, you lose weight. When you have a calorie deficit, the body lacks the materials it needs to store fat, so it doesn't store as much, even though you continue to use fat at an even higher rate because you don't have as much food in your stomach to get energy from.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

This is a thread I *gotta* see...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever studied my pee that closely lol
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "Fat is stored inside the fat cell in the form of triaglycerol. The fat is not burned right there in the fat cell, it must be liberated from the fat cell through somewhat complex hormonal/enzymatic pathways. When stimulated to do so, the fat cell simply releases its contents (triaglycerol) into the bloodstream as free fatty acids (FFA's), and they are transported through the blood to the tissues where the energy is needed."

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-happens-when-fat-is-burned.html
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

I believe that thread was referring to ketone bodies. Ketones are made when your body uses fat for energy. I've had a ketone level of "4" (my Dr. says that is the highest that the blood test she sent me for measures), but I've never seen oil floating on my pee. I can, however, smell the acetone when I am in ketosis. My urine tends to be darker at that time, even though I drink a lot of water (ketosis makes me thirsty). The body is not good at putting excess ketones back into fat, once they are made, so they get excreted in the urine. Some people also have "fruity" breath from the acetone. So, some fat ends up being peed out, and some you breathe out.

You burn fat when you run out of glucose. So, if I eat a 300 calorie breakfast, then burn 350 calories in a jog, the 50 extra calories came from fat. I would then continue to burn fat until I ate again, at which point I would switch back to using glucose until all the meal has been digested and used up. In a calorie deficit, you probably start each day without a lot of glucose left to burn. On the other hand, when you convert the food you digest to glucose, anything that isn't used right away, or stored in your muscles, is put into fat cells by insulin. So, throughout the day, and night, you are switching from burning to making fat, and back again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Best thread EVER!
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Aemely wrote: »
    Mine is mostly on Tuesday.

Ha-ha! :p

v2he1d4t8ybf.gif

tumblr_inline_nfkuwbyCHu1qegzff.gif
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought of Adipose lol
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    the evil adipose
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your question made me curious. I learned something I didn't know before, so thanks:

"Exercise and diet can help you lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. Your body will begin to break down stored fat through a series of complicated metabolic pathways. The byproducts of fat metabolism are expelled through your lungs, sweat and urine, while the energy liberated from fat is used to maintain your body's biological function."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/325306-how-does-fat-leave-your-body-when-you-lose-weight/

So, I guess the answer to your question is that the fat comes out when your body runs out of nutrients from your food, and has to tap into the fat reserves. The free fatty acids are liberated from your fat cells, and used for energy. The byproducts are released through your sweat, urine, and breath.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    the evil adipose

They were just babies OKAY? you can't blame them!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    chicken fat floating....oops. . . bad kitty

Cat-watches-toilet-flush.gif?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    chicken fat floating....oops. . . bad kitty

Cat-watches-toilet-flush.gif?

I wasn't expecting that ending
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your body is constantly either storing or oxidizing fat...

exactly.

you burn fat all the time. when you're sleeping, your body is using fat as fuel. as long as you don't overeat your calories (and thereby storing fat), you're burning fat.

if you exercise, there will be an increase in fat burning when you begin the exercise, and for some time afterward before your body goes back to "normal".
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

I believe that thread was referring to ketone bodies.

No, there was nothing that sophisticated involved in that thread.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do alternate day fasting. I never lose weight after a fast day, it's always 2 days later after a normal eating day.

That's interesting, because I almost always lose scale weight after a fast day.

Do you mean a true fast, as in nothing but water, or a low calorie day called a "fast day" in IF circles?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It comes off at midnight exactly. If you happen to fly over the international date line whilst in deficit, you've wasted that day.

^^ LOL
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    You seek a simple answer to a complex question:
    Citric_acid_cycle_with_aconitate_2.svg

I just vomited in my mouth a little. Reminds me of college :neutral_face: