Weight loss journey struggle...help?!

Options
What advice would you give someone who is struggling to start their weight loss journey?

Remember...we were all there once!

Replies

• lilewing123
    Options
    If you stumble just start again at your next meal. Don't wait to restart the next day. Why put it off and make more bad decisions when you can see your mistake and keep going.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
    If you stumble just start again at your next meal. Don't wait to restart the next day. Why put it off and make more bad decisions when you can see your mistake and keep going.

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Use the internet to educate yourself about weight loss as much as possible.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    make small changes, one at a time. if you're used to eating junk and being a couch potato don't expect to go all uber athlete in a week's time while munching on nothing but lettuce.
  • terrillscott
    terrillscott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree about the single small changes, and the trick is to find the small change that really speaks to your personal need. There are many little things a person can do, but the reality is, which one kicks you into gear and keeps you motivated to keep on keeping on. I had to try many times to "start again" until finally I found the thing that helped the new habit start to stick.

For me, it was getting up early in the morning to get a work out in. I was too tired after work at night so would jam out. I found early bird length swims close to home and did that, plus our local gym has an early walk/run availability so I would head down there and just go in circles to my music.

The side benefit of getting up early helped me with one of my worst habits and that is snacking at night. I was terrible! Sit and relax in front of the TV, have a snack, then graze the kitchen for another .... you see the pattern. Getting up early made me go to bed early, no time to snack :) That was my defining moment of success. I hope you find yours. I started that 1st of September this year and have to date lost 30 lbs. Yay me, and yay you!
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't kick yourself over a small set back. Just say the next thing I do will be positive. Also, celebrate all the small victories. After your first week, if you even just lose half a pound celebrate that! You did something great! If you look at everything in small bites so to speak, it's a little less daunting.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Baby steps! Just start out by logging everything you eat. Then take a look at what you're eating and the statistics of that food and try to find easy changes you can make which will have an impact. Remember that the goal isn't to drop as many pounds as possible in the shortest time possible, it's to take the weight off in a healthy, sustainable manner; that sometimes means slowly. You didn't get overweight in a month, you're not going to take the weight back off in a month, either.

You don't need to hit the gym for a one hour elliptical session every day to lose weight; it can be accomplished with a calorie deficit alone. That said, cardio is good for your body and will give you more calories to play with every day and for some people that makes a huge difference in how sustainable their diet is. If you aren't ready for the gym yet, find little ways to add more movement to your day. Park at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs, use your breaks at work to take a short walk. Every little bit helps!

Incorporate strength training into your new lifestyle as soon as you can manage it. It's even more important than adding cardio exercise, IMHO. Losing weight involves losing fat, water and muscle. The more muscle you lose through weight loss, the lower your metabolism and the slower you will be able to lose weight in the future. Strength training will help you to retain muscle so you're losing more fat. In addition, you'll be happier with your body sooner since it will be firmer than it would without strength training.

Use the measuring tape as well as the scale to measure your success.

Most importantly, the changes you're making should be sustainable. Losing weight should not be some quick fix to shed a few pounds and then you can return to the way you were eating and living before. The changes you're making should be for life so you don't find yourself needing to lose the same pounds a few years from now.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Even if the scale isn't moving a lot, give yourself credit for sticking to your eating plan.
    If the scale seems to be stuck ( happening to me right now) give yourself a fitness goal like walking an extra 30 minutes, or something like that.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Don't give up early in the game. I was feeling discouraged after not seeing much change on the scale and then had a 4.5 lb drop. I was having issues losing until I started adding loads of veggies and monitoring my sodium and sugar intake. I also had to adjust my cals a couple times to actually start seeing weight loss. I signed up with a trainer at my gym and do strength training 3 times a week and cardio two days a week. Anyway, blah blah blah. Good luck on your fitness journey! Think long term, not short term quick losses. :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I agree about the single small changes, and the trick is to find the small change that really speaks to your personal need. There are many little things a person can do, but the reality is, which one kicks you into gear and keeps you motivated to keep on keeping on. I had to try many times to "start again" until finally I found the thing that helped the new habit start to stick.

For me, it was getting up early in the morning to get a work out in. I was too tired after work at night so would jam out. I found early bird length swims close to home and did that, plus our local gym has an early walk/run availability so I would head down there and just go in circles to my music.

The side benefit of getting up early helped me with one of my worst habits and that is snacking at night. I was terrible! Sit and relax in front of the TV, have a snack, then graze the kitchen for another .... you see the pattern. Getting up early made me go to bed early, no time to snack :) That was my defining moment of success. I hope you find yours. I started that 1st of September this year and have to date lost 30 lbs. Yay me, and yay you!

This is great advice! And good for you for defining your problem areas and defeating them with a good, solid plan. Good job!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Annabear3 wrote: »
    Don't kick yourself over a small set back. Just say the next thing I do will be positive. Also, celebrate all the small victories. After your first week, if you even just lose half a pound celebrate that! You did something great! If you look at everything in small bites so to speak, it's a little less daunting.

And, celebrate them yourself, whether anyone else supports you or notices! I only add that because I see a lot of posts on here where people do have successes, big and small, but get discouraged when others don't share them with them. It'd be nice, but you have to be your own ally, your own cheerleader.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Log everything u eat , if u can, if u cant keep a diary close by and write everything, then put it in at the end of the day, dont worry if u've surpassed the calorie intake and don't lie to yourself. make sure you log everything. and weight yourself at least on a weekly basis.
    almost forgot, drink more water. If you're anything like most people, you probably are not drinking enough.