Losing too fast since I started swimming

Options
I started swimming laps about a month ago when my doctor advised me to reduce the high to mid impact cardio due to degenerative arthritis in my foot. I have been taking a water aerobics class since March and started doing my laps for an hour before the class. My weight loss has suddenly jumped from an average of 1.4 lb a week to 2.5 lb! I am actually aiming for a loss of 1 lb but very conservative on eating back my exercise calories so anywhere between 1 and 1.5 is ideal

I need to eat back more of my exercise calories on the days that I work out (3 x a week), or raise my overall daily target. Any suggestions as to which would be better? The other issue I have is that I have a doctor ordered carb max of 180 per day (T2 diabetes although yesterday she took me off all meds so I am now diet and exercise controlled. Hooray!). My current MFP target is 164 (35% of my 1870 calories) so I don't have a lot of room to play with when adding calories. I can go crazy with the protein and fat (35% and 30% respectively).

I guess I am looking for suggestions from the fitness gurus as to

1) best way to add calories for workouts, if I only add on those days. I am in the pool from 3:00 to 5:00 PM. Would it be best to eat more earlier in the day or with dinner? I get nauseous if I eat much close to a workout so a bigger mid afternoon snack is out.

2) lower carb ideas for more food (besides doubling the meat I have for dinner). I already have 1 Quest bar a day as a mid afternoon snack and a scoop of protein powder in my Greek yogurt during lunch.

BTW: I have been losing since the first of the year and have lost 79 lb so far, so this isn't a newbie thing, it is a tweaking of what has been working really well for almost a year.

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good. I've been trying to add protein to my diet so I've been eating a lot more eggs. I have hard boiled eggs as snacks a lot, and of course there's lots of other ways to prepare them so I can add them to my meals also.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Alassonde wrote: »
    Eggs are good. I've been trying to add protein to my diet so I've been eating a lot more eggs. I have hard boiled eggs as snacks a lot, and of course there's lots of other ways to prepare them so I can add them to my meals also.

Yeah, 2 hard cooked eggs and some cheese and whole grain bread is my favorite bedtime snack! I already buy an 18 count of eggs weekly :p

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how much more do you need to lose? If it's still substantial- I'd just say roll with the 2.5 pounds untill it stops. Because it will.

Otherwise- just eat more.
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Eat scrambled eggs, omelett or eggmuffins for breakfast instead of bread. Brings up the calories and are filling without bringin up the carbs.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome work so far and I'm with JoRocka roll with it!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a hard and fast rule regarding when to add your workout calories. I find that eating more first thing in the morning and having multiple snacks works well for me but I know plenty of people who prefer the opposite. I would try it several ways and see what feels the best to you.

I would probably load up on fat, although who am I kidding, I do that anyway. Choose fattier cuts of meat like chicken thighs and pork. Use butter instead of margarine for cooking. If you've switched to low fat dairy go ahead and switch back. I know you're not a newbie so apologies if you've already done all of those things. Also keep in mind though that it may feel like a ton of calories now but you'll adjust over time so don't worry.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how much more do you need to lose? If it's still substantial- I'd just say roll with the 2.5 pounds untill it stops. Because it will.

I have another 72 lb to lose but have had fast losses before that have caused physical issues (like major hair sheds) and really don't want to risk that this time.

I know I need to eat more. My question is if it is better to eat more on the days I exercise to fuel the exercise or just in general. If it is to fuel the exercise, how is it best to do it?

• earlnabby
    Options
    I don't think there's a hard and fast rule regarding when to add your workout calories. I find that eating more first thing in the morning and having multiple snacks works well for me but I know plenty of people who prefer the opposite. I would try it several ways and see what feels the best to you.

I would probably load up on fat, although who am I kidding, I do that anyway. Choose fattier cuts of meat like chicken thighs and pork. Use butter instead of margarine for cooking. If you've switched to low fat dairy go ahead and switch back. I know you're not a newbie so apologies if you've already done all of those things. Also keep in mind though that it may feel like a ton of calories now but you'll adjust over time so don't worry.

I never thought of the dairy. I use full fat hard cheeses and 1/2&1/2 in my coffee but my Greek yogurt is fat free. That would be a good idea to add a few more calories! Never used margarine, it would be a sacrilege for this descendant of Wisconsin dairy farmers ;)

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Adding things like avocado or nuts/nut butters would be good--they are calorie-dense and have some fats that will help prevent the hair shedding that you've previously experienced.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Adding things like avocado or nuts/nut butters would be good--they are calorie-dense and have some fats that will help prevent the hair shedding that you've previously experienced.

I eat some nuts, eating more would be good! Never got into the habit of avocados. It's not that I don't like them, it is more that I never think of them.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Congrat's on the loss so far!
    And still having a lot to lose, 2 lb a week isn't unreasonable for now.

But if you want to slow a bit, would it be easier for you to manage adjusting your diet a little every day (to include a few more calories), or remembering to make larger changes only on the days you swim?
    For me, I'd prefer the constant state.
    But if you want to make it day-specific, plan meals & snacks that use higher-calorie foods:
    salmon, avocado, nuts, beans, cheese haven't been mentioned yet.

51637601.png
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    why lower carb options? is there a reason for that?

Increase your everyday calorie goal until you're back to the 1-1.5 pounds per week you wanted.
  • earlnabby
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Yes. As mentioned in my OP, my doctor has given me a daily maximum of 180 grams because I am a T2 diabetic (albeit controlled by diet and exercise only) and my baseline MFP carb target is already 164. I have a little room to add carbs when adding exercise calories, but not much.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Yes. My doctor has given me a daily maximum of 180 grams because I am a T2 diabetic (albeit controlled by diet and exercise only) and my baseline MFP carb target is already 164. I have a little room to add carbs when adding exercise calories, but not much.

Understandable. As others have said, find healthy fats and proteins to add. whole-fat milk and other dairy, avocadoes, nuts, etc, will help you add those calories back in.
  • JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have another 72 lb to lose but have had fast losses before that have caused physical issues (like major hair sheds) and really don't want to risk that this time.

I know I need to eat more. My question is if it is better to eat more on the days I exercise to fuel the exercise or just in general. If it is to fuel the exercise, how is it best to do it?

2 pounds is still reasonable and medically sound.

If it goes up faster than than that I'd be more worried.

as far as timing- whenever you want.

As far as when- it depends on how you count your calories- I don't account for my workouts- it's built into my calorie count- I use TDEE.

if you use MFP's method- which is the NEET method- you add your workouts then eat back some of the calories- so if that's the method you're using- only eat extra on your workout days.

Don't over complicate it- at 250 calories-eating a single snickers bar the days you workout will more than compensate for extra calories- although- I wouldn't recommend that for you- just an example- a small snack of 200 calories is more than enough.

Apple sauce- glass of milk- glass of juice- whatever snack you like- more dairy- more egg.... don't over think it- we aren't talking about thousands of calories.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Yes. My doctor has given me a daily maximum of 180 grams because I am a T2 diabetic (albeit controlled by diet and exercise only) and my baseline MFP carb target is already 164. I have a little room to add carbs when adding exercise calories, but not much.

Understandable. As others have said, find healthy fats and proteins to add. whole-fat milk and other dairy, avocadoes, nuts, etc, will help you add those calories back in.

^This is great advice. I've been told to eat a little more on the days I'm going to be doing a harder workout. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I like to whip up a protein drink (EAS vanilla protein powder, either water or vanilla rice milk, a half avocado and a cup of kale) about an hour to and hour and a half before my workout. I can't go into a workout super hungry and I'll get super nauseous if I eat too much. You seem to know a lot and have good doctor guidance. Good luck to you!
  • earlnabby
    Options

As far as when- it depends on how you count your calories- I don't account for my workouts- it's built into my calorie count- I use TDEE.

if you use MFP's method- which is the NEET method- you add your workouts then eat back some of the calories- so if that's the method you're using- only eat extra on your workout days.

Don't over complicate it- at 250 calories-eating a single snickers bar the days you workout will more than compensate for extra calories- although- I wouldn't recommend that for you- just an example- a small snack of 200 calories is more than enough.

Apple sauce- glass of milk- glass of juice- whatever snack you like- more dairy- more egg.... don't over think it- we aren't talking about thousands of calories.

Actually, to slow my weight loss by around pound a week, we ARE talking about close to 3000 calories a week. My earned exercise calories are about 1100 on workout days so I should be adding at least 500-700 on those days. I also average about 300 extra from fitbit steps on non-workout days but I rarely eat those back because I thought I built them in when I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active.

I'm trying to not overthink this, but the extra weight loss has me concerned.

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    <sarcasm>No, this is impossible. See, swimming isn't good for weight loss.</sarcasm>

Depending on how much you have to lose, it probably isn't HURTING you to lose faster (Check with your doc, of course). OTOH, if you really want to eat more and prefer the slower weight loss, I totally get it. I'd add a few calories in to experiment, if it were me.

Honestly, since you don't have a lot of carbs to play with, I'm thinking adding meat is really the way to go. If you can go crazy on the fat, there's always bacon-wrapped asparagus or
    something.

• JoRocka
    Options

Actually, to slow my weight loss by around pound a week, we ARE talking about close to 3000 calories a week. My earned exercise calories are about 1100 on workout days so I should be adding at least 500-700 on those days. I also average about 300 extra from fitbit steps on non-workout days but I rarely eat those back because I thought I built them in when I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active.

I'm trying to not over think this, but the extra weight loss has me concerned.

You're not trying to stop weight loss- you're trying to slow it- which doesn't mean eating back ALL the calories.

And I'd be highly suspect if you were burning close over 1000 calories on your workout days.

As a power lifter and a dancer- even when I spend 2 hrs in the gym then go straight to the studio and spend 2-3 hrs at the studio- I'm not burning that much.

again- it's likely extra 2-300 calories per day to slow it up. If you think it's close to 1000 then eat that- in which case up your fats and proteins. doesnt' matter when- just eat more of the same with more oil in it.

also ice cream.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »

^This is great advice. I've been told to eat a little more on the days I'm going to be doing a harder workout. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I like to whip up a protein drink (EAS vanilla protein powder, either water or vanilla rice milk, a half avocado and a cup of kale) about an hour to and hour and a half before my workout. I can't go into a workout super hungry and I'll get super nauseous if I eat too much. You seem to know a lot and have good doctor guidance. Good luck to you!

Thank you. I am a firm believer in educating yourself, common sense, paying attention to what your body is saying, and moderation in all things.

I actually kind of fell in with this doctor a year ago when my brother and SIL finally all but kidnapped me and took me to a local free clinic (unemployed and uninsured, and feeling horrible). They took all kinds of tests, including blood tests, and my hemoglobin was 5.3 and ferritin was 3 (minimum is 12 and 10, respectively). She was at the clinic when the lab called back with the results. She tried to get hold of me and when she couldn't (I left my phone in the car) she called the police to do a wellness check and make sure I got to the hospital for immediate transfusions because of the severe anemia. I saw her a couple more times at the clinic when I went for follow-up (diabetes was diagnosed with other tests done at the hospital) and when I got my insurance, I started seeing her in her regular practice. She is actually a nurse practitioner but has a PhD in advanced nursing so I still call her "doctor".