Frustration sitting on my shoulders like a two ton weight

Options
2»

Replies

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ok, - you got to eat. the idea that if you don't eat, you'll get that perfect body - is a wrong one. You're going to make yourself sick before you lose what you want to. It's better to eat, to have energy to exercise, and be healthy - than to not eat, have no energy, and become sickly.

this weight doesn't come on quick, and you have a reason to lose it slowly. the reason being - if you lose to fast - your body won't have time to adjust to the loss and you may find your skin looking hideous. Slow and steady and you will have more chance to keeping the weight off, too, because you'll train your body how to eat the proper amount of food and be satisfied with those quantities. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for binging after a round of starvation.

good luck on your weight loss goals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The thought of this being the LAST time I try this weight loss thing is very exciting!
    It can be, but you have to do it the healthy way. Starving yourself isn't going to get you where you want to be. Nobody ever starved down to their goal weight, then magically knew how to eat to maintain that weight. Lots of people have starved themselves into an eating disorder, or starved for as long as they could and then started bingeing.

Let go of the idea that you need to lose NOW and embrace the idea that you are going to learn how to do it right so you only have to do it once.

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i had 100 lbs to lose. I'm down 50lbs. i still struggle.
    but one (of many) turning points for me is viewing this weight loss journey as a journey to taking care of myself and the one body I've been given. starving it is not taking care of it. overeating is not taking care of it.

if you are not taking care of yourself you have to ask yourself why. digging deep you will find longer term success in my opinion.

go easy on yourself, release the pressure. you'd be amazed at how it easy it is to eat well and take care of yourself and no more devil/angel convo's in your head (I've been there!) when you pardon the pun but let it go. and just concentrate on your overall health.

i think of my daughter as anchor. would i want my daughter to eat that? is it ok to have a treat? is it ok to starve myself? etc. if i would or wouldn't want my daughter to do it i have my answer for myself.
    its basically re-teaching yourself how to love yourself.
    good luck
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you know better yes, time to teach yourself that you also deserve better treatment.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sure, you can lose weight (temporarily) by starving - But the way you are doing this is NOT sustainable. You will never be able to keep the weight off this.
    You need a lifestyle change that you can stick with. Losing the weight slowly and surely with good eating habits is the only way this can work for a lifetime, otherwise you have this starvation thing to do over and over and over again.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Everyone said it best. Gotta stop this dangerous behavior. I was 26 when I lost 100lbs. in in 13 months. Now? 32 and I struggle to lose 5lbs. a month. My body looks WAY better now then it did back then but I eat now, and I'm healthy and happy. Good wholesome food, break a sweat 5-6x a week, and live a healthy, active lifestyle.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If there's one small tip I can offer, I would suggest not to focus on your long term goal. Focus on losing 25 pounds. This makes success much more immediate and you might lose that urgency to get it all done NOW.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If you're asking for my blessing to go seek professional help for your eating disorder...you have it.

+1
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When you have a significant amount of weight to lose it is a feeling of being overwhelmed. I know, I was there too. Those unhelpful thoughts of "It's going to take me forever to lose this much weight" were constantly in my head. The thing is, time goes by at the same rate if we are eating healthy or unhealthy. If we are sloths or fitness hounds. Same time involved.
    Sounds corny- but every long journey is accomplished one step at a time.
    -Eat healthy and within reason, and tell that 'devil' voice to go back to hell. ;)
  • Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You have to choose which voices you will listen to. I hope you choose well! And your focus as you eat healthy and move more - can shift to helping yourself so you can help others. You are definitely NOT alone!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    One thing I did that helped me, was to look at how much I needed to eat to maintain the weight I wanted to be. If you eat that amount every day for the rest of your life, on average, then you will be the weight that you want. So, especially at first when MFP said that I could eat more calories than that, I didn't always. Many days, I ate the amount needed to maintain at the weight I wanted to be. My goal was not just to eventually get down to that weight, but when I did, to have a good idea of the sort of food and amount that I could eat and be healthy and satisfied. It worked for me. I did drop fast at first, but right when I started feeling really happy about losing so much weight, it slowed down, as it was supposed to, and continued to slow, as it was supposed to. Again, this worked because it fit the way my mind works. I know what it's like to feel just so so big that you can't stand it any more and need to drop quickly to a semi-reasonable weight.