How do you find your own purpose in life?

Options

Replies

• swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from discussing religion, as it's a touchy subject for many people.

I honestly couldn't say I've found my purpose in life. However, I like to think that the path to finding your purpose is just as important as the purpose itself. For now, I'm okay with wandering. I'm just trying to better myself based on my own moral compass as I go, it's the best I can do at the moment.

I'm finding that my moral compass may be wildly different from others, and that's okay with me. We all have strong opinions and beliefs, and as such complex and original beings, how can we expect to have the exact same ideals of this world? As long as someone's belief/opinion does not cause harm or infringe upon the nature and happiness of other beings, I see no problem:-)
  • amethystangelus
    amethystangelus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    At 30 years old, I felt really out of place among friends because they all have college degrees. so I got a job in the medical field as a receptions and records clerk, hated every minute of it. Started going to college thought ok ill go into teaching and now i am lost because baking and pastry arts is my passion but teaching is practical for maintain employment and health insurance. Finding where you belong is a life long process one that doesnt end but dont stick yourself into someone else's box is the advice I was given.

So I am being practical and going into teaching because I love little children. I hope I can become a good influence in someone's life. the way I had many in mine.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i don't know if i have a purpose in life, i just try to be a good person
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Maslow's modern hierarchy.

maslows-new-hierarchy-of-needs.png?w=558
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I personally think life has no inherent "purpose", only that which the individual assigns to it. Otherwise, each subjective view would be wrong to a thousand other views. Even if you agree on a general purpose, eg "serving others", there can be literally a million interpretations of how to accomplish that and different degrees of "rightness" within each.
    Bottom line: If it's important to you, then it's important.
    As for finding a passion in life...try LOTS of things and expect that to live a passionate life long term, you will have to reinvent many, many times.
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Im up for a discussion group on this... I suspect my input would be significantly different to some others on here ;)

No one belief system is right for all in the the same way that none is truely 'wrong'. People have free will and that includes the choice of what to believe in.

Sometimes losing your way can be the best thing to happen to you, just remain true to yourself and you will find your own path.

As long as it does no harm ;)
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    To me, I think I'll find my true purpose when I achieve perfect balance. However, this is quite the paradox because I don't think it's really ever possible to be totally balanced in every aspect of your life! Besides, as humans, we change and grow constantly. I think that as long as I am progressing and learning and continually striving to be a good person (to others and myself), then I will develop more as a person and understand how I fit in this world, how I work, and what I want to contribute, which to me sounds like a purpose.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    choice..
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Keep doing things until you find a passion for it
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm an atheist, but extremely respectful of others and their belief systems. Part of me envies believers.

I think our purpose is to pave our way through life. Settle down. Find a hobby. Travel. Experience transcendence in our own ways. Realize we are not alone or special in circumstance. Spread joy, a message of love, acceptance, tolerance and peace wherever and whenever possible. Our "mark" on the world can be big and outstretched over oceans, or even just tiny enough to be recognized by just one person; it's an impact all its own. I think it's enough for me.
  • pinkslipblues
    pinkslipblues Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a 3:39 min. video on Why Study the Bible - Learn how the bible can help you to find the answer to life's big questions, i.e. what is our purpose in life. http://www.jw.org/en/video-why-study-the-bible/
    I hope you are able to check it out.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Maslow's modern hierarchy.

maslows-new-hierarchy-of-needs.png?w=558
    Funny
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm an atheist, but extremely respectful of others and their belief systems.

I try to be respectful of others, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to respect belief systems that I see as harmful and dangerous.

I don't think there is a purpose in life, but I count myself as very fortunate to have the freedom and opportunities to chose my own purpose in life.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    As a lifelong atheist, I don't believe that humans are born with any specific overarching purpose. I do believe, however, that most people want to be a force for good in the world, and that one's talents and values will determine where and how (and how much) they will make a difference.

At the end of the day, it's everyone's right to choose their path according to their own beliefs. I do feel like my life has meaning and purpose, but it's something we create, rather than "find", in the strictest sense. I think when people find their "calling", it's a case of finding the path that reflects their values most, and uses their abilities in the most effective way. I also think that it can change throughout one's life.

I know that some religious people find the idea of not being born with a purpose to be depressing or hollow, but I think it's actually really uplifting because it means that people do good because they genuinely choose to do good, not because they are "supposed" to.

My opinion - decide what is important to you, figure out how you can help, and just get started. Even if you switch directions later, you'll have done a lot more good by picking something and doing it, as opposed to waiting for divine inspiration to strike.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    In my opinion my "purpose" keeps changing (I' older than alot of you, and have seen these changes in my life). I therefore think my main purpose is to make a difference (hopefully positive) in someone else's life. This is what I try to do. :)
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    As a lifelong atheist, I don't believe that humans are born with any specific overarching purpose. I do believe, however, that most people want to be a force for good in the world, and that one's talents and values will determine where and how (and how much) they will make a difference.

At the end of the day, it's everyone's right to choose their path according to their own beliefs. I do feel like my life has meaning and purpose, but it's something we create, rather than "find", in the strictest sense. I think when people find their "calling", it's a case of finding the path that reflects their values most, and uses their abilities in the most effective way. I also think that it can change throughout one's life.

I know that some religious people find the idea of not being born with a purpose to be depressing or hollow, but I think it's actually really uplifting because it means that people do good because they genuinely choose to do good, not because they are "supposed" to.

My opinion - decide what is important to you, figure out how you can help, and just get started. Even if you switch directions later, you'll have done a lot more good by picking something and doing it, as opposed to waiting for divine inspiration to strike.

Yes to this!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Here's mine:

demotivational-poster-mistakes_zpsee885538.jpg

And I'm OK with that. I like to be helpful. :D
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options

I, too, am an atheist and feel this same way. It's hard leaving religion primarily because you realize there is no real purpose to life. It didn't take much for me to leave religion because I thought most of it was fake, even as a child. I even remember thinking in Sunday school one time, "a talking snake? Really? Give me a break." I've always been a bit skeptical. But I found comfort in believing in god, even though I didn't believe the bible or anything it had to say. And once I finally lost even the belief in god, i felt lost, lied to, and a little down about it. That didn't last too long, though, but it was a hard adjustment. Now I'm happier for it because I know there's nothing else. It's me, us, now, and that's it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I found purpose when I found my wife and she gave me 3 daughters. Until I met her, I was drifting.

"Life is what happens while you are making plans."