Another fitness tracker band post..I'm so confused!

Options
So, I've always wanted one. Finally getting one for Christmas and automatically ordered the Jawbone UP3 but now I'm wondering if I need to look at others after searching on this forum. I have really confused myself!

I am a petite girl so I guess I need to take that into consideration. My price point is under $200. My main exercises are walking and machine exercises at that gym (the elipitical) and I don't believe any of them will measure steps on the machines, which I'm fine with. What I'm looking for is:

- sleep monitor (would prefer it to just realize when I'm sleeping)
- calories burned
- suggestions on making strides to achieve goals
- Reminders to move,
- Constant heart rate monitor- I know the UP3 only does resting right now but I'm ok with that since they say it will do the other.

The ones I am looking at now are:

Jawbone UP3
Microsoft Band
Basis Peak

Suggestions please! :)

Replies

• mtgrzz
    mtgrzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivosmart is also on the list :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Why not wait on the Fitbit Charge HR? It will have constant heart rate. I tried the Microsoft band, it was just way too big and too uncomfortable on my wrists (I have pretty small wrists).
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    I forgot about that one! That's in the mix too then but not sure I really want caller ID. I had read reviews about people not liking fitbit because they quit after a couple months? I know this will be a newer one but that worries me.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I had my Fitbit One for two years before it quit working, and when it did, after a bit of trouble shooting, they just sent me a completely new one. Their customer service is outstanding. I just did the pre-order for the FitBit Charge HR, got it Monday, and I'm liking it so far.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I love Fitbit products, the interface and the seamless syncing with MFP. I want the new Charge HR when it is available, I have a One right now. I like it, but I lose them a lot.
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    Good to know. I have read that Jawbone Customer Service is lacking. When is Charge HR supposed to be available?
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if I really need the HR portion lol. I didn't care about it at first but when I pre-ordered the UP3 I thought it was a nice touch. Fitbit Charge looks nice too.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yah if you don't care about the HR part, Go ahead and order the CHarge. I love the interface! It gives you big green Smileys for meeting your goals, stupid yet motivating! Also I hear the sleep tracking is the most detailed, which I am concerned with.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    mtgrzz wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering if I really need the HR portion lol.

No, you don't. And if you need it, get one that works with a dedicated HRM belt. Optical wrist readings are iffy at best, and if you live somewhere where the climate dictates long sleeves for exercising outdoors, you either keep the band under your sleeve where you can't see it during the exercise or on top of it where it can't measure from your wrist.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you don't care about the HR, they are clearing out the last generation of monitors at terrific prices. As far as I can tell, the only thing the new generation has is HRM and, in some cases, smart watch functions.
  • mtgrzz
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So, cindy, do you find it pretty accurate. It has an alarm and you don't have to manually push a button for sleep? Does it track all activity (I don't know that any of them do) but curious since I use an elliptical a lot.
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    NM, I see from their website it is automatic. So it lets you set goals, etc and notifies you when you need to get moving. Eventhough it's big I kind of like all the features of the Peak.
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One thing about the Fitbit that I love, you can input your stride length to make distance more accurate for your steps.
    I'm 5'3" but usually walk with my husband who's 6'. I take longer strides then most!

(Also, on the elliptical, my steps end up about half a mile short... it tends to get most of them)
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    Thanks! I may be canceling my UP3. I kind of beginning to like the charge and it's cheaper! Still kind of like the peak though. But..the UP3 may be totally out of the question. I didn't think I'd care about any sort of display but I may!
  • mtgrzz
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I read several reviews that the Fitbit Charge and Myfitness pal don't sync correctly and results in it being logged as food vs exercise and that the screen scratches easily?
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have the Charge. Right now I have the Flex, but want to upgrade once the HR versions come out.
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I have the Basis Peak, but HRM was one of my requirements and I didn't want to wait for the newest Fitbit. It has all of your requirements other than the reminders to move, but it does let you set up "habits" (goals). I'm normally a Fitbit fan, but I really like my Peak.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Why not wait on the Fitbit Charge HR? It will have constant heart rate. I tried the Microsoft band, it was just way too big and too uncomfortable on my wrists (I have pretty small wrists).

Actually, I'd highly suggest anyone interested in the Charge HR or Surge sign up for Fitbit's forums and read the threads on them.

They allowed a limited release of them and the feedback for the Charge HR is not looking that great.

The steps are exaggerated, the HR seems a bit intermittent, the battery life is short, the auto-sleep function doesn't seem to really work, chargers not being shipped with the product, etc.

Also, a heads up - the wrist measurements on the website are not right. If you have wrists larger than 6", you'll want to go with the large and not the small.
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I decided I'm keeping my pre-order for the UP3 because in reading some things I like the fact of the future updates. But, I'm going to continue to research the other two in case I change my mind since the UP3 won't ship until Dec.22 and they have a 60 day money back guarantee.

Thanks for the heads up PikaKnight!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Check out the Polar Loop. Water proof, can be paired w/ a HRM for cardio/improved accuracy. You set an activity goal and it gives you suggestions for what to do to meet it. Such as walk x minutes or run y minutes. Personally would not trust wrist based HRM especially on a brand new product. Generally speaking, I would not want to be in the first wave of customers for a brand new product...