Another fitness tracker band post..I'm so confused!

Options

Replies

• mtgrzz
    mtgrzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not that concerned with the HRM to do a chest strap. Sometimes I like being the guinea pig :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Check out the Polar Loop. Water proof, can be paired w/ a HRM for cardio/improved accuracy. You set an activity goal and it gives you suggestions for what to do to meet it. Such as walk x minutes or run y minutes. Personally would not trust wrist based HRM especially on a brand new product. Generally speaking, I would not want to be in the first wave of customers for a brand new product...

Well, that's why I am leaning more towards the Up3 as they are using the same bioimpedence sensors from Bodymedia. I had the Link and I loved it but am giving it up since Bodymedia is basically dead.

• Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Problem I have with the UP3 is there are no reviews on it for heart rate other than what it "should" be able to do. I've purchased stuff because of what it should be able to do or will be patched to before. Usually doesn't work out in my favor. Not to mention it is only releasing with app support for iPhones, with support for android later in 2015.

Fitbit Surge and Charge HR are on their way to retailers now or they should have it by the 14th of December. I had a pre-order with REI with expected delivery to me on the 19th, but Amazon just started taking orders

http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Surge-Fitness-Superwatch-Black/dp/B00N2BWF6Q/ref=sr_1_25?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1418434823&sr=1-25&pebp=1418434820773

And will have it to me by the 16th, so I cancelled REI and went with Amazon. I don't see the Charge HR on Amazon, but my understanding is both is releasing at the same time.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    The Up3 pre-orders come with 60 days money back, so if you find that it's not accurate, you'll only be out the cost of shipping. It's the only one so far with bioimpedence instead of light pulses for heart rate readings. If you have dark skin, small wrists or if there's really bright ambient light or very warm weather, the light pulses don't work so well. Also, you have to wear these bands very tight when exercising, as any jiggling of the band against your skin will also throw it off. The Up3 tech works with a looser band, as it only has to make contact, not block out light. It's also much smaller than the others, and can be worn swimming.
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    I just saw somewhere that now it will be mid January for the UP3, which worries me. I guess that just means I have more time to research. :/ I have been reading the Charge HR reviews and so far it seems more negative than positive. I'm really hoping the UP3 ships sooner than later.
  • Kasuad
    Options
    mtgrzz wrote: »
    I just saw somewhere that now it will be mid January for the UP3, which worries me. I guess that just means I have more time to research. :/ I have been reading the Charge HR reviews and so far it seems more negative than positive. I'm really hoping the UP3 ships sooner than later.

A lot of the negative reports I read from people are more user fault than product.

Like band size. They tell you exactly what the sizing is, people don't read and order what they think will fit, it doesn't fit, but somehow it's the products fault that their 5.5" to 6.3" size band does not fit the users 7" wrist.

Or why does it not have a back-light? It does, you just need to hit a button.

Or how come my steps are way off? Did you try going through and calibrating it to your stride for walking and running? Cause it's actually pretty accurate when you do that.

Honestly, I think you'll see plenty of negative reviews for all these type products. The only ones you won't see negative reviews on are for the trackers that haven't made it into the hands of people yet. Many of the problems are user error though or user related that specifically applies to them.
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look more into it :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Kasuad wrote: »

A lot of the negative reports I read from people are more user fault than product.

Like band size. They tell you exactly what the sizing is, people don't read and order what they think will fit, it doesn't fit, but somehow it's the products fault that their 5.5" to 6.3" size band does not fit the users 7" wrist.

Or why does it not have a back-light? It does, you just need to hit a button.

Or how come my steps are way off? Did you try going through and calibrating it to your stride for walking and running? Cause it's actually pretty accurate when you do that.

Honestly, I think you'll see plenty of negative reviews for all these type products. The only ones you won't see negative reviews on are for the trackers that haven't made it into the hands of people yet. Many of the problems are user error though or user related that specifically applies to them.

For the band size - that's false. There were several users on the Fitbit forums with 6", 6.1" and 6.3" wrists complaining about the sizing being incorrect. I didn't come across anyone with a 7" wrist complaining about not fitting into the small. In fact, there were those around that measurement that were saying to go with the XL versus the Large.

Again, for the steps - users are documenting the changes they made or didn't make and still, the steps are around 1000 off. Some of the users have even taken to creating a 2nd account so they can wear their older fitbits to compare (so far I've seen a flex and a Fitbit One comparison).
  • mdove3411
    mdove3411 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Following.
    Which ones actually read across the screen?
  • Kasuad
    Options
    mdove3411 wrote: »
    Following.
    Which ones actually read across the screen?

Charge HR has a smaller screen, Surge has a the bigger screen. Microsoft Band as a long rectangular screen, Basis Peak has a square screen.

I think of the new ones coming out that are over $100, the Jawbone UP3 is the only one that does not have a screen.

Pikaknight, I wasn't using any direct examples of people not paying attention to what they ordered for size and then blaming fitment issues on the product. but that does exist. I think people should read the low ball reviews and infer for themselves if the reviewers opinion/experience should be taken serious or thrown out and not just see 1 star vrs 5 stars. Kinda off-topic, but I read a review on Amazon before for a pop-corn popper. A reviewer rated it one star and slammed it as junk because it does a very poor job of roasting her coffee beans and even burned the coffee beans. It's a popcorn popper.

I should be getting my Surge today. I am really wanting to like it. If I don't and have problems with it, I'll report back in a few days and give warning.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread inquiring about trackers, but got no response, so I'm jumping on this one. Like many of the people on this thread, I'm considering getting one for Christmas. My question is whether any of these trackers track non-step related calories, such as yoga and strength training.
  • HBMairi
    HBMairi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the fitbit. They're not good after being in the washing machine though :(
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    I keep debating. The one thing I keep reading about on the fitbit ones is that you have to wear it higher up on your wrist, especially if you have small wrists, which I do. The Up3 seems to have everything I want, I don't want something bulky and this one seems smaller. I'm just so impatient. :#
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use the Microsoft Band. It has a lot of good features, much more than I use. It does track workouts besides step counts though I haven't been able to figure out how it does a lot of its tracking and calorie counting, probably HR based. I can probably answer questions on that if you're curious.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I keep debating. The one thing I keep reading about on the fitbit ones is that you have to wear it higher up on your wrist, especially if you have small wrists, which I do. The Up3 seems to have everything I want, I don't want something bulky and this one seems smaller. I'm just so impatient. :#

Yeah, waiting sucks. Even though I'm leaning towards the Up 3, I'm trying really hard not to jump at the chance to buy it or pre-order it. Going to "try" to wait a month after its release to get an idea on the bugs with the software and hardware.
  • Kasuad
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Went to Target and looked at the display for their Surge and Charge HR to see what I will be getting later today from USPS.

Target in my area already has them out for sale. They had 6 Surges hanging on the rack and at least 10+ CHarge HR

20141215_103209_zps8ecb8014.jpg

2014-12-15105210_zps95a4b8ec.jpg

Was very tempted to just buy one and return my Amazon.com order when it arrives.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I have to return the Jawbone UP 24 I just bought from Costco. After getting it home I realize it only syncs with selected phones and THEY DON'T HAVE A PC APP. I thought I could bluetooth into by PC.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Went to Target and looked at the display for their Surge and Charge HR to see what I will be getting later today from USPS.

Target in my area already has them out for sale. They had 6 Surges hanging on the rack and at least 10+ CHarge HR

Was very tempted to just buy one and return my Amazon.com order when it arrives.

I have my Charge HR. Did the Surge look huge in comparison?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

What's funny is one of the Fitbit mods said they didn't have an official release date :laugh: They did a limited release before and now stores have it in stock. I don't know how much more official that has to get before they just announce it :laugh:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I wear mine a little higher on my wrist that I would normally, but it doesn't feel odd or uncomfortable. Especially once I changed it so that the heart rate side is on the underside of my wrist.