Best time of the day for working out? - MEN ONLY

Options
MrTolerable
MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
So I am still relatively new to da gym life - but I still recall last year the gym was crowded and full of ppl that shouldn't have been in the gym (the talkers) from Jan-Feb.

You gentleman think its more effective to work out in the AM or the PM?

Also how does working out in the AM affect your mood for the day vs working out after work?

Replies

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is to work out when you KNOW you will work out. With that said, I work out in the morning for a couple reasons: 1. If I work out before I head into work, I don't have the excuse of work or unexpected meetings ect to stop me from working out later 2. I've read that one's testosterone levels are higher in the morning (put that into google and see for yourself).
    Regarding mood, I feel great after working out, so am in a great mood the rest of the day...but I do sometimes have a nap when I get home...as I do my cardio at night.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    So, this thread is not about getting your period, then?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly commenting to be rebellious. You know, with my forbidden uterus and all. ;)

I second the idea of working out when you're most likely to do it. I get up at 5am to go to the gym because I know there's always the chance I'll have to stay late at work, and then be so exhausted I just want to go straight home. By doing it first thing in the morning, I make sure it happens. But, as with anything, find what works for you.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Why can't women have an opinion or chime in about this subject? Are the people to whom you are referring ("the talkers") mostly women, so you think all of us are talkers at the gym and ineffective at working out? Just curious.

Oh, and by putting MEN ONLY in all caps...it's like a beacon for all the females to come running and answer anyway, just cuz you said don't. :) Same is true when a girl writes a period thread and says women only. Human nature, I guess.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I like the morning - basically for the reason that I know I'll get it in before work, whereas it's possible that I might end up "not feeling like it" or some other lame excuse and not go. Also, I know I can 99.9% of the time get to either the squat rack or power cage in the morning. After work? fuhgeddaboudit... Regarding how I feel after? Better now throughout the day than I used to, before going to the gym in the AM.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    2. I've read that one's testosterone levels are higher in the morning (put that into google and see for yourself).

I did google it and you are correct! So I will clearly give a +1 on that.

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of studies that show you get better results working out fastest first thing in the morning, but then there are other studies debunking those studies, etc... It gets confusing. The point is, you won't find any undisputed science saying that there is a definitive time of day that's better to work out. When you can make the time is the best time. A lot of people do it first thing in the morning, but I find I am too uncoordinated and out of it unless after I've been up for a while. Also, when I work out fasted I am prone to dizzy spells and nausea. It's all individual preference.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    ruffnstuff wrote: »
    Why can't women have an opinion or chime in about this subject? Are the people to whom you are referring ("the talkers") mostly women, so you think all of us are talkers at the gym and ineffective at working out? Just curious.

Oh, and by putting MEN ONLY in all caps...it's like a beacon for all the females to come running and answer anyway, just cuz you said don't. :) Same is true when a girl writes a period thread and says women only. Human nature, I guess.

The talkers I was referring towards consist more of men then women, the Jan - Feb crowd that stand in front of the machine you need, as your heart rate is going down talking to their wife beater shirt wearing, hood rat tattoood goon of a buddy about how much the C4 & creatine is helping as they have like a 15-20% body fat percentage- that is what I meant.

The only reason I put men only is because I relate better with men, considering I am a man lol.

• MrTolerable
    Options
    Also, when I work out fasted I am prone to dizzy spells and nausea. It's all individual preference.
    I didn't think of that... I am the same way when I do too much cardio fasted, and I have never done strength training fasted but guarantee I wouldn't feel my ideal.

It would be nice to do it prior to work though if my mood for the day is going to increase, after I work out I got a smile plastered on my face for hours - I'm wondering if I would feel less stress at work if I did it prior.. because after work it is like a huge stress relief for me.

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like working out early in the morning. The gym is never crowded and it just gives me an incredible amount of energy for the rest of the day. And to paraphrase mr. Wendler, it's hard to be upset about something petty work related after you have just squatted a new PR.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The only reason I put men only is because I relate better with men, considering I am a man lol.

That's a ridiculous statement to make.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Mornings to get away from the women who think its appropriate to grope/hook up. Evenings to hit it hard, for some reason after a very physical day at work, I can kill it in the gym more so.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Mornings to get away from the women who think its appropriate to grope/hook up.

They're swarming all over you, are they?
  • MrTolerable
    Options

smh. I can hear your accent through the screen and it makes your comment even more grotesque.

hell yeah, and swarm is about as accurate a word as it getz.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options

smh. I can hear your accent through the screen and it makes your comment even more grotesque.

Words can't really be grotesque, but whatever. You're very tolerable.

What accent do I have?

And why are you responding to a comment I wrote to someone else?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Mornings to get away from the women who think its appropriate to grope/hook up. Evenings to hit it hard, for some reason after a very physical day at work, I can kill it in the gym more so.

I think the Men's Rights subreddit is missing a regular...

• MrTolerable
    Options

Words can't really be grotesque, but whatever. You're very tolerable.

What accent do I have?

And why are you responding to a comment I wrote to someone else?

Why are you asking questions?!

and no words really can be grotesque - especially when ingested by a visual learner.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Why are you asking questions?!

and no words really can be grotesque - especially when ingested by a visual learner.

Am I not allowed to ask questions?

Or just not allowed to ask questions in your thread?

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You should go between 2:30 am and 3:30 am for optimal not-getting-beaten-uppedness. Make sure your wear your mom's bathrobe. I hear that's the latest trend in gym attire.
  • LazyButHealthy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You should go between 2:30 am and 3:30 am for optimal not-getting-beaten-uppedness. Make sure your wear your mom's bathrobe. I hear that's the latest trend in gym attire.

But if news gets out, the nocturnal women will swarm!

b*tches be crazy.