Easy cheap homemade light butter spread

Options
HeidiCooksSupper
HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
No need to buy light butter spread when you can make it at home and avoid mystery ingredients.

-Whip 1 stick (1/2 cup, 4 ounces) softened butter with an electric beater (best is the balloon whisk on a Kitchen Aid) or food processor.
-Slowly pour in while still whipping 1/2 cup olive oil or other healthy oil.
-Slowly pour in while still whipping 1 cup cold water.
-(If you use unsalted butter, you may wish to add some salt.)
-Whip until thoroughly mixed and light yellow in color.
-Transfer to covered containers and store in the refrigerator.

Since this is 1/2 water by weight, it has about half the calories of butter or fat by weight. By volume, it may be a little less due to the incorporation of air but not enough less to think about.

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ya I don't trust that
    don't believe it
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Sound math - nothing fishy about that.

http://www.landolakes.com/Products/Custom/19406.aspx - this link shows 50 calories per tbsp.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ya I don't trust that
    don't believe it

Honest and true! Surprisingly, it's that easy. I was a Girl Scout for 10 years and am a retired librarian. Would I lie?:flowerforyou:
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    LOL will have to try it cause finding an affordable light butter is almost impossible!! :frown:
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    cool i think i will have to try this
  • KitchenWoof
    Options
    Wonderful! Made it using a hand mixer and it nearly filled an empty 15 oz tub that previously contained Challenge Spreadable Lite Butter With Olive Oil. Used grape seed oil and unsalted butter. Added a pinch of salt and it works perfectly as a substitute for store bought spreads. Thank You, Heidi.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Entered into my recipe maker. Thanks a bunch!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Good if you don't mind adding water to a recipe.
  • oriole35
    oriole35 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My mom did this 20 years ago. She is 84 now. They weren't selling it in the markets back then. I just discovered Brummel and Brown yogurt butter spread and it is really good. Wish someone had a copycat recipe for that!