Do I have too much belly fat to bulk? Pictures Attached

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My husband is 40 and losing his "belly fat" by lifting heavy. He does some cardio, but mostly he lifts heavy and sweats more doing it than when he ran. His heart rate is definitely up when he lifts. I know because I am there with him 2-3 times per week. (He lifts 6.) He is taking advantage of the extra holiday foods by doing a bulk and will go back to a slight calorie deficit after the first of the year. I would think if he's getting an definition during a bulk at 40, that it would happen to you at 19 as well.

I lost my weight before I started lifting, but my abs are definitely getting more toned. My weight has been steady at 150-155 for 11 months, but the pants I bought in January are getting loose. Not sure your experience at 19 would be the same as mine as a 45 year old female with four kids. I am fairly certain that after 4 kids, my bad will never be what they were pre-kids.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think if you up your lifting free weights your body will improve no matter what. Lift more, eat a little more, and make adjustments as you go. Great job by the way!
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    eat lots of green veggies and lean meat. That worked for me.

And what else?

Popcorn.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say to eat at maintenance and continue lifting.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    you're 19, bulk until you reach your strength goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    At 19? eat all the things- and lift all the things.

You'll never have this situation EVER again- get your *kitten* in the gym lift- EVERYTHING.

You're going to make insane gains right now at your age eating all the things- I'd just go ham till it stops- then re-evaluate.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Unless you're obese, at 19 years old you should not be considering cutting.

Your body is primed for growth & development thanks to (still) raging hormone levels that create great potential for recovery after training and potential to pack on some serious lean mass.

Use the next year or so to slowly bulk around .5lbs/week of weight gain and train following a proper program.

You'll (likely) undergo some body recomposition (fat loss + lean mass development) during the early stages of your training anyways, and after that stage the additional mass you develop will leave you with a much more appealing physique than if you were to cut.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sure his hormones may be peaking at this age, but not everyone has shitload of testosterone flowing.... One thing I could tell you though, all that cardio before you start lifting is not helping you make any muscle gains... You say you don't want to get huge, genetically you probably will have a hard time getting really big; but you need to train like you want to be the biggest dude on earth, to see what results you can yield; by saying, I don't want to get that big,all that says to me is that you don't want to train that hard....
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    More muscle will make it easier to burn fat later (muscle burns calories just by being there) and fill your frame out a bit more making you look less fat. But cutting will make you look better sooner, albeit skinnier. Ultimately you could do either. Personally, if I were in your position I'd bulk, but slowly to minimise any additional fat gains. Lifting and eating at maintenance or ever so slightly higher (+100) sounds like a good plan.

Caesar164 is right; you need to train as though you're trying to be the biggest guy in the world. But don't worry; you won't be.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    caesar164 wrote: »
    but you need to train like you want to be the biggest dude on earth, to see what results you can yield
    Great point. Women too should train like they want to get "bulky", in order to get super sexy, but I never thought of it this way for guys too. I will remember this for when my son gets older.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    but you need to train like you want to be the biggest dude on earth, to see what results you can yield
    Great point. Women too should train like they want to get "bulky", in order to get super sexy, but I never thought of it this way for guys too. I will remember this for when my son gets older.

I love this!! I'm going to be 40 in a few weeks, and I've been training with a 21yo bodybuilder for 9 months now. My 1RM on some of the lifts are REALLY good, and it shows. I've only lost like 10lbs in 2 years, but I have lost 3-4 inches off my waist in 7 months.
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    With everyone saying about

Your body is primed for growth & development thanks to (still) raging hormone levels that create great potential for recovery after training and potential to pack on some serious lean mass.

What age does this stop?
  • adman50
    adman50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lift that weight like a ladies skirt!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    With everyone saying about

What age does this stop?

there is no set age- and it will depend a lot on how you train to- but when you're a young guy- you have a lot going for you- might as well push it as hard as you can while you can- as you get older you'll regret if if you don't.

That muscle built at that age- even through college- it tends to stay with you and also create positive body image AND give you the tools you need to be successful.

Even when I wasnt' lifting regularly- I stayed reasonably muscular because I had a solid athletic base from high school all the way through college- my construction work made sure I didn't atrophy too much- but I had such a great foundation- coming back to it full force was a snap.
  • anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sure his hormones may be peaking at this age, but not everyone has shitload of testosterone flowing.... One thing I could tell you though, all that cardio before you start lifting is not helping you make any muscle gains... You say you don't want to get huge, genetically you probably will have a hard time getting really big; but you need to train like you want to be the biggest dude on earth, to see what results you can yield; by saying, I don't want to get that big,all that says to me is that you don't want to train that hard....

Its not that I dont want to be huge, its just that at the very least I want to have a muscular and lean look. If my body fat was lower, theres nothing I would like more than living in the gym, eating everything, and getting jacked
  • JoRocka
    Options
    how do you think all that happens???

it doesn't happen by wishing.

And there isn't some magical- when I reach a certain stage I can play with the big boys.... get in there- lift - eat.... rest... lift eat. rest- do all the things. lather rinse repeat.
  • anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how do you think all that happens???

it doesn't happen by wishing.

And there isn't some magical- when I reach a certain stage I can play with the big boys.... get in there- lift - eat.... rest... lift eat. rest- do all the things. lather rinse repeat.

So you dont think I should worry about cutting down the belly fat first? If I get rid of it now a cut after bulking would be much easier.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Slow lean mass gaining
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Your training should consist of the fundamentals; barbell and dumbbell compound movements. Your goal should be to increase strength. Training should always be intense, and progressive in time. As you gain experience you could experiment with split routines,but always implement compound movements. As far as cardio is concerned, I know its good for heart health and all that, but I would eliminate it completely or do it sparingly, and not the same days as lifting days. The way your body responds to this training will be determined by your diet and also supplements may give you an edge. I would start by eating at 100-200 calories above maintenance. I know this is a iifym site which permits flexible dieting as long as it fits macros; but in your case, your diet should consist of red meat, chicken, fish, potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs oatmeal, rice, beans, vegetables, fruits, milk, etc; these foods will help keep you in a anabolic state.
    If by some miracle your body explodes in growth, arms get huge, delts grow like coconuts, chest like a barrel, legs like tree trunks; you will not be like "oh no I'm to big"... you will love it and become addicted to it!lol.. If you stay consistent the gains you make can become addicting!