How to get One Strict Pull-Ups

Options
My goal for 2014 was to get one strict pull-up by Dec without any assistance. I'm resetting to reach by summer 2015.

What I have achievement so far since I set the goal - I then would have to add 75 pounds of assistance, now I add 45 pounds of assistance to pull-up machine

Besides assistance pull-up machine I'm also doing 1) wide grip and V-Bar pulldowns 2) Cable Rows

Can pull-up geeks on MFP please guide me if doing these would be enough to reach the goal or should I add something else or modify my existing plan?

I tried to search if there was already a conversation going on pull-ups but didn't find any. Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Add in some negative pull ups.

You'll probably get where you want to go with your current plan but they will help you get there faster...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'd actually avoid the pull-up machine.

Here, read this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Add in negatives and, if you can, ditch the machine for band-assisted pull ups instead. I've made more progress in two months with these exercises than years with the pull up machine.

That nerdfitness article is primo advice too.
  • RiWe
    RiWe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What you're talking about is (mostly) increasing strength, so you should be on strength oriented training program. This means doing fairly heavy weights (in this case, low assistance) for small number of reps per set. 5 reps per set is commonly recommended but anything in the 3-8 range is good. If you're doing more than that, you're training more for endurance than strength & your strength won't increase as quickly. For more details you can look up the very popular programs "starting strength" or "stronglifts 5x5" or various others, but in brief:
    • Do pull-ups about 3x / wk. Give your body time to recover between workouts.
    • Pick a weight (assistance) you can only do for about 6-7 reps.
    • Do 3-5 sets of 5 with at least a couple mins of rest in between each set
    • That's it, you're done training your back for the day. If you do more, you'll tend to hurt your recovery for the next workout. If you were trying to bulk up, more might be better, but for increasing strength, less is more.
    • ========================
    • In subsequent workouts:
    • Try to push up the weight (decrease assistance) as often as you can. At least every week you should be making some improvement. Since it may tough to increase a whole plate on your machine, try to add a few reps at each workout. For example, say start with 5-5-5-5 then 5-6-6-5 then 6-6-6-6 then 6-7-7-6 then 7-7-7-6 then 7-8-8-7 or whatever. And by that point you're ready to add weight & drop back to 5-5-5-5 (or even 5-5-4-3 or whatever you can do) and work your way back up. The important thing is "progressive overload".
    • Make sure you record your workouts on paper or in myfitnesspal or other app of your choice so you can track your progress and know what you need to do at each workout.

I have a couple more suggestions, but I'll put them in a separate post.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Don't understand the hate towards the assisted pullup machine. That's pretty much all I used to build up to my first pullup. I did 3x5s two or three days a week.

You just have to make sure to actually put effort towards progressively getting stronger, meaning that each week you should be using less and less weight to assist you on the machine.

Rows would also be helpful. They are a good exercise for back strength.
  • RiWe
    RiWe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to do (but I've never really seen any research to support so proceed at your own risk) is to add an extra set or two at very low-reps. Basically increase the weight a little and just do 1 or 2 reps. I know I said not to do more, but this actually shouldn't be much of a strain. You're not trying to do a true 1-rep max or really struggle at all, you're just getting your body accustomed to slightly higher weight. It should be a weight you could do maybe 3-times and you're only doing 1 or 2. I think this makes it a bit easier to move up in weight, but as I said I don't have any supporting research.

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've never used a pull up machine so I'm not familiar with how that works. I know what helped me be able to do unassisted was bands at varying levels until I just didn't need one anymore. Besides that I always incorporated the seated row and pull downs in my back workouts.
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump

I have a pull up bar at home and have started just hanging from it and negative pull ups.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion for negatives. I haven't gotten there with pull-ups yet but I'm getting closer, and since I added in negatives I can do strict chin-ups.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Some lateral pulldowns might help. But the best thing to do is more pull ups, and like Walterc7 said; keep pushing yourself to constantly improve.

Edit; mixed pull ups with chin ups.
  • sksscott
    sksscott Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is a great pull-up site for beginners.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used the assisted pull-up machine. I started with 8 plates (I don't know %BW) assistance, 7, 6, 5, 4...you get it. Once I could do 5x5 at that weight, I removed a plate. I also love the iso-row machine; I felt like that was also a good assistance exercise.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pulldowns! When you do a proper pull-up, you contract your lats into it, along with back. Strengthen your lats + back first.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    Don't understand the hate towards the assisted pullup machine. That's pretty much all I used to build up to my first pullup. I did 3x5s two or three days a week.

You just have to make sure to actually put effort towards progressively getting stronger, meaning that each week you should be using less and less weight to assist you on the machine.

because it's the least effect way to train your body- the mechanics and loading are not the same.

Anything where you are forced to do the ACTUAL movement is significantly better than the machine where you often are fudging and you don't have a feel for where you need to work.

Most people have rubbish form on them.
    Doing negatives
    lat pull downs
    inverted rows
    barbell rows
    dumbbell rows
    cable pulls
    person/chair/band assisted pull ups

^ these are all more transferable options than the assisted pull up machine.

The only time I think the machine is good is when you are doing a higher volume- and you can do SOME pull ups- and then need an assist as your workout goes on- its' easier to manipulate for self help.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    walterc7 wrote: »

because it's the least effect way to train your body- the mechanics and loading are not the same.

Anything where you are forced to do the ACTUAL movement is significantly better than the machine where you often are fudging and you don't have a feel for where you need to work.

Most people have rubbish form on them.
    Doing negatives
    lat pull downs
    inverted rows
    barbell rows
    dumbbell rows
    cable pulls
    person/chair/band assisted pull ups

^ these are all more transferable options than the assisted pull up machine.

The only time I think the machine is good is when you are doing a higher volume- and you can do SOME pull ups- and then need an assist as your workout goes on- its' easier to manipulate for self help.

You might also want to add chin-ups or neutral grip pull ups (palms facing grip) since they tend to be easier to perform. When I started back I couldn't do a pull up but was able to do a chin-up. Over time I started alternating between chin-ups and pulls ups as I got stronger and now I'm doing both with a substantial amount of added weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well- I have negatives- and 'other' assist.

I suspect it's less of a complete separate exercise to add to the list- and more of a side note (which is an important thing to note!)

Neutral or palm in will make it easier- knowing that palm in is a very bicep heavy exercise vs palm out which is more back/lat activated.
    I actually can bang out quiet a number with mixed grip- I was surprised actually. But I wouldn't recommend that for training purposes- I did it for a pull up challenge LOL
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

I'd actually avoid the pull-up machine.

^I agree. As others have stated, Negatives are great, banded pull ups, and just the good old fashioned "Grease the Groove" are all good options.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    well- I have negatives- and 'other' assist.

I suspect it's less of a complete separate exercise to add to the list- and more of a side note (which is an important thing to note!)

Neutral or palm in will make it easier- knowing that palm in is a very bicep heavy exercise vs palm out which is more back/lat activated.
    I actually can bang out quiet a number with mixed grip- I was surprised actually. But I wouldn't recommend that for training purposes- I did it for a pull up challenge LOL

Oh, those challenges are great stuff! :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using bands for assistance rather than the pull-up machine. You will get a much better feel for what a real pull-up feels like.

Use the bands to assist you and help you get in the volume. I'm also a big fan of plyo-pull ups and the bands can help you here as well. Working on negatives also is a big help. I would try to get in some pull-up work 4x weekly if possible...volume, volume, volume.

Beyond that, don't skip back day. I don't have back day as I do full body workouts...but the point being, work your back with rows (any number of variations) and also work in some lat pull downs. It seems to me that people have as much tendency to neglect their backs as they do their legs.