What would you pick off the menu?

Options
We have an office lunch today at Maggiano's and I'm struggling to pick a lighter option off the list: http://www.maggianos.com/images/uploads/pdfs/Maggianos-Nutritional.pdf

What would you all pick?

Replies

• JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can ask to go off menu and order a grilled chicken breast and some steamed veggies or a side salad with dressing on the side. Most places will do this.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I would pick tomato soup and one of the side salads w/shrimp or chicken added.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it were me? Given the sodium, which would make me miserable, I'd get the grilled salmon salad. The veal has over 5,000mg.
    If I wanted to look like others, I might do one of the "lighter take" chicken entrees.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JustMe2691 wrote: »
    You can ask to go off menu and order a grilled chicken breast and some steamed veggies or a side salad with dressing on the side. Most places will do this.
    GREAT idea.
    I'd do a grilled salmon over veggies if this is an option.
  • sweating_for_wedding
    Options
    So helpful, everyone! Thanks! I missed the side salad and soup options the first time around because I was too busy noticing that a full salad was almost 840 calories...really?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    So helpful, everyone! Thanks! I missed the side salad and soup options the first time around because I was too busy noticing that a full salad was almost 840 calories...really?

If you do get a full salad, get the dressing on the side so you can control the calories.
  • mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can always order what you like but ask to have half put in a take away container or order a salad and an appetizer as you main course.
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd do the lighter take chicken piccata. Of a half preboxed portion of pasta. yum!
  • fluffernubber
    fluffernubber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd absolutely go for that Chicken Sausange & Orzo Soup, it's one of my favorite types, and even the full bowl is only 200cal.
    Soups are generally pretty light and give you extra wiggle room for some appetizer and maybe a dessert. I figure as long as you don't have a big breakfast, you can have soup, tea, and even some flatbread and small cheesecake without overeating or feeling guilty. Not to mention working out tends to balance out a lot of that biz.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Side salad and a soup. OR, the lighter take on the chicken piccata isn't bad. Just drink a lot of water - sodium.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    OMG...it's a great, comprehensive chart, but wow! The sodium amounts in EVERTHING is crazy! I think I would order some water...oh my
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how many calories you have to work with. I'm leaning towards the chicken piccata, lighter take (580cal) or the lunch size jumbo lump crab cakes (530cal) with a side of grilled asparagus (70cal). Soup/Salad combo can be a good plan too.
  • sweating_for_wedding
    sweating_for_wedding Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    shartran wrote: »
    OMG...it's a great, comprehensive chart, but wow! The sodium amounts in EVERTHING is crazy! I think I would order some water...oh my

I know. And I started watching my sodium because I have had soup for lunch every day this week, and even the lighter sodium options were still around 700mg for a serving. I think I'll just have to be bloated for a couple more days!
  • sweating_for_wedding
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    It really depends on how many calories you have to work with. I'm leaning towards the chicken piccata, lighter take (580cal) or the lunch size jumbo lump crab cakes (530cal) with a side of grilled asparagus (70cal). Soup/Salad combo can be a good plan too.

You guys are so helpful, I love the way you're scouring the menu. I had totally missed the crab cakes before. Nice amount of protein too.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would get the grilled chicken caprese salad. It says it is 860 calories. I think it would be tasty and satisfying to me. If it was a really big salad I might only eat half.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Probably the lump crab cake and the tomato soup....lunch portions
  • sweating_for_wedding
    Options
    For the record, I got the lighter take portion of the Shrimp Fra Diavolo (shrimp, linguini, garlic tomato sauce) that clocked in at 400 cals! Sodium was off the charts, but at least I stayed within my calorie allowance. And, it was delicious!