Does lifting cause water retention at first?

Options
2»

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with much of anything funchords said, I don't know if this is his personal experience or just a lot of theory. Either way I don't think it should be applied to most people.

Just weight train, expect to add some weight in the short term (it's good weight gain though, not from fat) and do your own research. Don't worry about exact details too much or bother getting overly scientific about it. What motivates you to keep showing up? What's the most fun to do and keeps you going back in regularily? This is the most important thing.

And keep learning. Absorb tons of different knowledge and don't ever think you've got the ultimate answer- it doesn't exist. Learn your own body and figure out what it responds to, fitness is a highly personal experience. You can alter and refine your exact goals over time as you learn more.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Or she could have some common sense with the knowledge that muscle repair = water retention and just not obsess about it.
    While it does makes sense from a scientific standpoint, I wouldn't consider that common sense. When I first began lifting regularly (and I was actually attempting to eat at a slight surplus), I actually lost a little bit of weight 3-5 weeks in. My guess is that lifting jacked up my metabolism more than I thought.

I'm not sure what you mean by "jacked up." If anything, lifting would increase metabolism by increasing lean muscle mass which burns more calories than fat. But that effect is minimal until you build a significant amount of muscle.
    Well, I've seen it happen at other times when I've increased my activity level, my weight tends to drop a bit. Not anything of much significance, but I do find it odd that it's the opposite of what a lot of people have.

• SandySweats
    SandySweats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    RECowgill wrote: »
    I don't agree with much of anything funchords said, I don't know if this is his personal experience or just a lot of theory. Either way I don't think it should be applied to most people.

Just weight train, expect to add some weight in the short term (it's good weight gain though, not from fat) and do your own research. Don't worry about exact details too much or bother getting overly scientific about it. What motivates you to keep showing up? What's the most fun to do and keeps you going back in regularily? This is the most important thing.

And keep learning. Absorb tons of different knowledge and don't ever think you've got the ultimate answer- it doesn't exist. Learn your own body and figure out what it responds to, fitness is a highly personal experience. You can alter and refine your exact goals over time as you learn more.

This!