1200 Calorie Target and Going Over

Options
MFP has set my target at 1200 calories. If I'm under I get a warning about not eating enough and if I go over I'm in the red. How far over the 1200 target is acceptable to go? Why can't MFP give a small buffer range like 1200-1300 calories limit. People have said they've set theirs higher, but how do you pick the correct limit for yourself where you would still lose weight?

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You can set it for anything you want by going to custom goals.
  • Lucy020679
    Lucy020679 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    But its picking a goal that I'm struggling with. I don't want it to be too high and I'm not getting anywhere.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    1200 cals just doesnt work for most people, esp. If you actually exercise. I've lost 48lbs and I'm not eating 1200 a day. I eat about 1400. And I'm a petite female at 5'2 and 135.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    MFP set mine at 1200 too, but I found it maddening for the exact reasons you stated. Plus I felt deprived a lot. I went to custom settings as NoelFigart1 mentioned, and upped it to 1300.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't get the warning unless I dip under 1000 calories on a given day (which I don't recommend, but it happens sometimes). 1200 calories works for some but not others - especially more active individuals. Use MFP as a guide, but experiment with calorie levels and find what works for you.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    did you set MFP to one pound per week or two pound per week loss?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you said "I want to lose 2 pounds per week", then you have quite a buffer right there. This means it is giving you 1,000 calories deficit from your maintenance level of calories (where you would not gain or lose weight). Also, do you exercise? MFP does not include exercise in its calculations for what you need, so when you do exercise you need to eat more to fuel that activity.
  • Lucy020679
    Options
    I have set it to lose 2lbs per week, and if I exercise I log it and normally eat back some of those calories. Its on the days I don't exercise sometimes I'm under 1200 (and get told off) and others I go over. I want to change it but its deciding on a level that's sensible.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Calculate your bmr, find a TDEE calculator, set it to sedentary or whatever you feel your activity level is, give yourself a deficit that isn't below your bmr (mine is 25%), change the MFP goals..
  • fattydaddy343
    Options
    My FitnessPal put me at 1800 cals per day for losing 1.5 pounds a week. The math doesn't add up. I do exercise 800 cals per day. Theoretically I should lose about 4000 cals a month-- barely a pound and a half. This goal was set by Myfitness Pal. Can any one explain this bizzare accounting to me?

How do I reset the MFP pound goals?

Thank you very much in advance
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Well there are a couple of things you can do. You can set your own custom goal, a typical safe goal is TDEE - 20%. Or, you can leave things as they are and look at your weekly goal instead of your daily goal. If you are eating more than 1200 some days and a little bit under on other days, it is going to average out over the week. (if you are not hungry, that is). If you are hungry, then that can be a sign that you are not eating enough, and you could set yourself to 1.5 pounds per week instead and get a bit more calories to eat and still lost weight.
  • jspicher81
    jspicher81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucy, great question!

I've been on MFP for over a year now and about half that time l've been @ 1200 per day... I usually end up leaving some calories on the board due to exercise and/or light/moderate activity. For example walking around the grocery store for 20 minutes, or cooking/food prep for a half hour. Say l get an extra 100 calories for the day from either of those activities -- l'll eat some of them back, but yet still try to leave some "on the board" as long as l've eaten at least 1200 calories that day. This assumes you have your MFP profile set to sedative life style like most.

I also use this "leave calories on the board" approach if l'm trying to catch up from over eating when l hadn't anticipated or planned for it. For example say during xmas week l end up going to a bunch of parties and can't keep my face off 2,000 calories worth of egg nog and cookies...

Determinted on losing weight and staying in shape, l'll work on "banking" calories every day until l catch back up those 2,000 calories. I've found to go at it slower (ie only trying to bank 400 - 500 calories per in the green) is much easier than trying to work out like a crazy person for 2 hours one day, burning 1,400 calories and not eating any of it back -- eventually (for me anyway) it backfires and l have a full blown will power melt down and you'll find me at the nearest mcdonalds stuffing my face with double cheeseburgers; which is what got me into this mess to begin with.

• deksgrl
    Options
    My FitnessPal put me at 1800 cals per day for losing 1.5 pounds a week. The math doesn't add up. I do exercise 800 cals per day. Theoretically I should lose about 4000 cals a month-- barely a pound and a half. This goal was set by Myfitness Pal. Can any one explain this bizzare accounting to me?

How do I reset the MFP pound goals?

Thank you very much in advance

See your original thread, there are answers there.

• fattydaddy343
    Options
    I should lose 4000 cals per month theoretically without exercise. Sorry for the confusion. Where do I reset set the MFP??
  • fattydaddy343
    Options
    It gives me 1861 cals for 2 lbs. per week.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    1. I ignore the warnings when I'm under my calorie goal. If I'm not hungry or don't feel like eating especially. I'm usually not horribly under though. I know, I know, I'm going to keel over dead for doing it... Not.

2. I don't "eat back" the calories I expend in exercise. If I did I wouldn't get those warnings mentioned above. I know, I know, I'm going to keel over dead for doing it... Not.

Find what works for you and don't over analyze it. It will drive you nuts if you do.
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to change? Is this not enough calories for you or you want to make it less? If you eat 1861 you should lose around 1.5 pounds a week. If you don't eat back your exercise calories you could lose more. Or you can eat them back and keep it at the 1.5. If you want to change it though you can
  • Lucy020679
    Options
    jspicher81 wrote: »
    Hi Lucy, great question!

I've been on MFP for over a year now and about half that time l've been @ 1200 per day... I usually end up leaving some calories on the board due to exercise and/or light/moderate activity. For example walking around the grocery store for 20 minutes, or cooking/food prep for a half hour. Say l get an extra 100 calories for the day from either of those activities -- l'll eat some of them back, but yet still try to leave some "on the board" as long as l've eaten at least 1200 calories that day. This assumes you have your MFP profile set to sedative life style like most.

I also use this "leave calories on the board" approach if l'm trying to catch up from over eating when l hadn't anticipated or planned for it. For example say during xmas week l end up going to a bunch of parties and can't keep my face off 2,000 calories worth of egg nog and cookies...

Determinted on losing weight and staying in shape, l'll work on "banking" calories every day until l catch back up those 2,000 calories. I've found to go at it slower (ie only trying to bank 400 - 500 calories per in the green) is much easier than trying to work out like a crazy person for 2 hours one day, burning 1,400 calories and not eating any of it back -- eventually (for me anyway) it backfires and l have a full blown will power melt down and you'll find me at the nearest mcdonalds stuffing my face with double cheeseburgers; which is what got me into this mess to begin with.

I also try to 'bank' calories. I'm just worried that if i consistently go over the 1200 that I won't lose weight. And if I have an exceptionally bad day I'll also do the same and head to Burger King!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Lucy020679 wrote: »
    jspicher81 wrote: »
    Hi Lucy, great question!

I also try to 'bank' calories. I'm just worried that if i consistently go over the 1200 that I won't lose weight. And if I have an exceptionally bad day I'll also do the same and head to Burger King!

But your MFP goal is already giving you a significant deficit. Look at the numbers. If you are over a couple of hundred calories, you will still lose weight.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Lucy, try setting your goal for 1 or 1.5 lbs per week, which will increase your calories. Eat back a portion of your exercise calories. Try that for a few weeks, track your loss, and see how you feel physically on those calories. You can always tweak your numbers later. The idea is to eat as much as you can and still lose, not see how stressed out and miserable you can make yourself for a number on the scale.