Good home gym?

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It has a Smith machine inside but has bar catches on the outside so it could still work if the bar on the track can go up higher or be removed.
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So could still be ok because of the bar catches? I already threw down a deposit on it, so I could get it delivered. : \
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You need safety bars so you can squat and bench press inside the cage. I don't think this has safety bars.

I suppose $250 is a pretty good deal, but you won't be able to barbell squat or bench safely to failure in it.
  • Killmenext
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No, sorry, it is $150 total, including the delivery. $100 for it, then $50 for delivery.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Not a bad deal really considering, can do lots of "other" stuff with that plus it comes with a small amount of plates. But it's missing all the main functionality of an actual power rack so you'd still need to get one of those. If you have the room for both I'd probably just keep it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    I wonder if you couldnt find some safety stands or use something like chain loops.
  • Killmenext
    Options
    I will have to look in to what those even are. : \
  • mustgetmuscles1
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Killmenext wrote: »
    I will have to look in to what those even are. : \

Safety stand. They are to catch the bar in case you cant get the weight back up.

newyorkbarbells.com/93015.html
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDXQ_5v46cE7hxLvmG11UV8CL_yjYwoSU88lKJX5vCHWNxoxVk

Or safety straps
    liftinglarge.com/Spud-Monolift-Safety-Straps
    large-monostrap.JPG
  • Killmenext
    Options
    Ohh ok, I got ya.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Before you injure yourself, why don't you check all these out.

I'm not into free weights currently, but it's supposedly a good programme for strength training:
    StrongLifts 5x5

It's probably also good to read up on what types of stuff you would need to train safely, before making any more investments. And I'd throw in training with someone, who does know what proper lifting form looks like as well. And read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or similar books.
  • Killmenext
    Options
    After some more research, it does in fact have squat cage / bench along with the smith stuff. so for $100 with some plates and such, im all for it.

UgfESER.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming those bar catches are adjustable (which they should be) and it's structurally sound, it looks like a solid option.
  • mrsformaldehyde
    mrsformaldehyde Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got a pretty badass set on criagslist for $200!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Agree about buying on Craigslist. The only question you didn't address is what you want out of it. Everyone threw out free weight options, which if you use them is great. But there are plenty of other home gym options with multistations, etc. While those have a few drawbacks for more advanced users, they are cheep and a great way to see if you will actually stick to using it without investing a tons of cash and taking up a lot of space, like those people who are selling them on Craigslist.

The best home gym is the one you will use.
  • Killmenext
    Options
    They are adjustable, there are pegs in the wrong to select your height and such. I am just looking to get some muscle and tone up, nothing specific honestly. I just know squats, press are what I need to do. This just so happens to also have lateral pull down and I can use it for pullups probably too if I wanted.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    They are adjustable, there are pegs in the wrong to select your height and such. I am just looking to get some muscle and tone up, nothing specific honestly. I just know squats, press are what I need to do. This just so happens to also have lateral pull down and I can use it for pullups probably too if I wanted.

You won't get the muscles you want if you just fart around without a plan.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AglaeaC/view/stronglifts-5x5-and-mark-rippetoe-s-starting-strength-658366
    I did a comparison of Rippetoe's book and the StrongLifts 5x5 programme. It is almost a perfect match. There are youtube videos for the StrongLifts programme too on Mehdi's website.

There is also bodyweight training, which is totally different but very efficient too. I just started Convict Conditioning, which is one programme. The Big Six (six types of movements) include one-arm pullups, headstand pushups, and more. Insane muscles and insane movement results as advanced practitioner of it.
  • Killmenext
    Options
    Awesome ^ I will look in to these then. The stronglift 5x5 was basically what I heard about, and was going to try out.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Something like this. You might find a decent used one on craigslist. You could even build the cage yourself to save on costs, if you're handy like that.

th?id=HN.608003091300945422&pid=1.7

I'd call that a pretty good end more so then a good start lol. really the only thing you can't do with this is cable work.

on top of this it would be nice to get a set of dumb bells and maybe an ez curl bar. As far as strictly weight lifting goes, that should cover most... maybe some bumper plates too.

not every one has the space for that though, and can be somewhat expensive.

an effective alternative would be suspension trainers.

bowflex equipment is pretty good too and then have some useful space saving options but they will probably cost as much or more then a powercage and weights from dicks.

• No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Power rack, barbell, olympic plates, dumbell handles for olympic plates, bench, floor mat. That's the basics.

what is there that you typically do that can't be done with this, just curious why everyone seems to call this 'the basics' when that's about all I use, for weight training.

maybe you'd want to put bumper plates in there, but you could still do whatever exercise without the bumper plates... in fact, they are probably only really necessary if you don't have a decent mat and you drop the weight or otherwise refuse/fail to perform the negative portion
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    So could still be ok because of the bar catches? I already threw down a deposit on it, so I could get it delivered. : \

yes, the smith machine, whether you ever use it or not, would technically be added value. I'd say 150 is a great deal for that.