What is the biggest hurdle you have come up against?

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    adge1475 wrote: »

I have gotten so tired of food. Planning the meals, shopping, controlling the portion size, eating, cleaning up the mess, logging what I ate. I don't know how I'm going to keep on keeping on. Anybody else feel this way?

I hit that speed bump at year two. It lasted for several months, but I got through it. I've been using MFP since 2010 and it's definitely never felt like a chore since that time period. How long have you been going through this?

Since July.

Have you been depressed in general or just when it comes to the weight loss thing? Are you still trying to lose? I have yet to hit a goal weight, but I have seen threads and blogs by those who have, discussing how they expected life to just suddenly become awesome once they're weren't overweight anymore, and when it didn't they found that really brought them down emotionally. Could it be something like that?

It's probably something like this. I'm almost at a BMI that is considered normal (as opposed to overweight or borderline obese, which is where I was). I guess I expected losing weight would solve other life problems. Uh, no. I guess it doesn't. Thanks for the support, everybody. These blues have really taken me by surprise.

Congratulations on your 1 yr. anniversary and all the progress you've made! I've found it's not that unusual to believe that once we lose the weight we will magically be happy and our other problems will disappear. It doesn't work that way, as you've found out, but depression is serious and needs to be treated as such. Please don't correlate your weight loss success to (still) being depressed. They are two separate matters. Celebrate your healthy progress and continue to work on your depression as a separate issue. Good luck and please just keep hanging on!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle is medical issues. I get so jealous of people who can lose a lot of weight quickly. I have to lose painfully slowly in order to prevent myself from gaining quickly.

I have a couple of issues, but the most significant is type 1 diabetes (don't confuse this with type 2 diabetes, which is different and I have also... so actually I have "double diabetes," but type 1 is the primary hurdle). If I try to exercise, I sometimes end up with low blood sugar and have to eat to bring it back up... and I've just cancelled out the exercise and then some. Also, as I lose weight, the type 2 issue becomes less of a problem. When that happens too fast (because I lose weight too fast), I end up eating everything just to treat lows. I started Jan. 1 this year, had ups and downs because of treating lows, until mid-April. In a single day, I ended up eating over 7,000 calories, almost all of it just to treat low blood sugars. My meter showed as low as 20 mg/dl and I struggled to get it above 70 and to stay there. This was not primarily because of exercise, but just because my sensitivity had changed suddenly (i.e. type 2 issues going away). After that, I quit for about 6 weeks before starting back up in June. Since then, my target is no more than 0.5 lb/wk and it sucks to lose so slowly. I have a friend who has lost 130 lbs. this year... just melted it away while I'm stuck in the slow lane. :(
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle? My low self esteem.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I understand about getting overwhelmed, especially by the harsh inner voice. That's why when I started MFP a year ago I resolved to do only one thing: clean up my diet. Period. No trying to exercise more or any other self-improvement projects. Just make one change at a time and stick to that. This may sound a bit nuts, but I wanted to be doing only one thing that I could get discouraged by. A year ago I set my weight loss goal at 30 pounds because I thought that would be freakin' impossible for me. Well, by July, just six months in, I had lost those 30 pounds. I eased up on myself, went into what I thought would be maintenance mode, but I still lost another 9 pounds. I can attest to what I've heard other people say: that when it comes to losing weight, it's about 80% diet, 20% exercise. So good for you on staying focused on cooking healthy meals. From my own experience, I know that's the most important thing.

It doesn't sound nuts at all. Thanks so much for sharing this!

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle? My low self esteem.

All the awesomest people have low self-esteem :)

• DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I have gotten so tired of food. Planning the meals, shopping, controlling the portion size, eating, cleaning up the mess, logging what I ate. I don't know how I'm going to keep on keeping on. Anybody else feel this way?

I hit that speed bump at year two. It lasted for several months, but I got through it. I've been using MFP since 2010 and it's definitely never felt like a chore since that time period. How long have you been going through this?

Since July.

Have you been depressed in general or just when it comes to the weight loss thing? Are you still trying to lose? I have yet to hit a goal weight, but I have seen threads and blogs by those who have, discussing how they expected life to just suddenly become awesome once they're weren't overweight anymore, and when it didn't they found that really brought them down emotionally. Could it be something like that?

It's probably something like this. I'm almost at a BMI that is considered normal (as opposed to overweight or borderline obese, which is where I was). I guess I expected losing weight would solve other life problems. Uh, no. I guess it doesn't. Thanks for the support, everybody. These blues have really taken me by surprise.

Congratulations on your 1 yr. anniversary and all the progress you've made! I've found it's not that unusual to believe that once we lose the weight we will magically be happy and our other problems will disappear. It doesn't work that way, as you've found out, but depression is serious and needs to be treated as such. Please don't correlate your weight loss success to (still) being depressed. They are two separate matters. Celebrate your healthy progress and continue to work on your depression as a separate issue. Good luck and please just keep hanging on!

Thank you. :smile: I think the depression is a separate issue. Over the past year I'm managed to get connected with a counsellor that I have a really good rapport with. I'm going to bring this up with him. Meanwhile, wow! 39 lbs is a big deal! (OK, so I was hoping for 40 lbs on my one year anniversary.) I should feel proud of myself for accomplishing this. It took effort, perseverance, and intelligence. Those are all good things. Thanks again.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle was probably myself . . . the many reasons that I gained the weight and held on to it as my buffer. I was attacked in my early 20's and I am also a single mother and I think the weight was a way to keep people away from me and allowed me to just concentrate on raising my daughter. Since I have decided that it was time for me to get over these issues it has been a lot of new adventures - losing some friends and gaining new ones, funny how that works! Learning how to get past those thoughts of thinking about what I can't do like running and doing push-ups, basically becoming a Gym-Bunny. I know that if I want to do something even if I fail the fact that I tried is an even greater achievement!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Since July.

Well this is awkward... I really thought losing weight would make me happier and solve other problems. That is my whole motivation for losing weight in the first place - I want to look good enough to find a girlfriend, I want to explore the outdoors on a new level... if not for that, then I may as well quit.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    my awesome mind!!.. a couple of years ago was basically me thinking ' well im fat and there's nothing wrong with being fat (obese) and i will always be like that so screw anyone who feels different" and other one was 'i dont have time to loose weight and mark in the future the appropriate time when was perfect to start the journey -__- oh when i finish college, or after the graduation, oh after my internship, oh after i get a job, and bla bla bla ! while gaining weight
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to say health issues as well. I experience a lot of injuries due to hyper mobility and accidents due to low blood sugar (passing out while on the treadmill for example), and I am now dealing with a condition that causes reduced lung function, chronic fatigue and muscle wasting.

I am not sure if I would say I have overcome it completely, but I just try to redefine my standard of success to fit what is realistic. I have gone from a champion fighter to having trouble getting up multiple flights of stairs in a matter of 6 months. My goals in the gym now are about trying to keep enough strength and cardio to perform basic life functions. On one hand, it's way less inspiring than trying to win belts, bot on the other hand, it's a lot more immediate and important, so the motivation is still there. I also remind myself that the prognosis is good for most people, so whatever fitness I can maintain is a headstart for once I am recovered.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The dread that this also will be another of a long string of apparent failures. I perked up after I experienced my first solid sign of success.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Having a mind that wants to weigh 165 lbs. with a body that says "Screw You, I'm not designed to go down there" >:)

Thankfully, I've learned over the years that overall health matters more than the number on the scale and on the waistband of my jeans. My resting heart rate is in the mid-70's, I walk 2.5 miles or more just about every day, and I got a clean bill of health from my doctor at my annual exam.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Injuries and arthritis. It's very hard to stop yourself from wanting to do more when your body can't. So it's hard to know your limits, you kind of figure them out when you run into them and hurt yourself (again). Sucks because fitness makes such a difference in all aspects of health, including mood.

I can relate having arthritis. This morning I walked one lap down and back up a steep hill which is a quarter mile and my left hip area started popping some but not really painful yet I decided to not do the second lapse and will go again this evening. I can lose some weight with little walking today but if I get the pain level high the pain level will take my focus off of eating right for my long term health.

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Injuries and vacations.

Injuries really hindered my running and exercise routines, but I was careful and after a brief break was back at it. I've learned the hard way not to overdo the exercise.

Vacations are a total blowout for me. This is especially true when visiting relatives in my hometown. There simply isn't room in the schedule to get the workouts in. And sticking to a strict calorie count is out the window. Relatives always want to feed you, and eating out is always a little tricky. I just write off vacations and get back to the plan when I return home.

I have now successfully survived both these problems and am now at my goal weight. It can be done. I just have to tell myself it's about the long haul. Small bumps along the way are just short-term delays. The long haul always gets you there if you stay the course.
  • mrboothy56
    mrboothy56 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well this is awkward... I really thought losing weight would make me happier and solve other problems. That is my whole motivation for losing weight in the first place - I want to look good enough to find a girlfriend, I want to explore the outdoors on a new level... if not for that, then I may as well quit.

I read your previous comment and must say I admire you for doing what you can against the medical issues that you face in day to day life. In response to the quoted text, I hope you haven't been somewhat discouraged by what you have read in the above messages as every individual faces different challenges, especially mental, and these may not actually be linked to the weight loss process. Every person's journey is different, with ups and downs all relevant to each individual. There is every chance in the world that if you achieve your goals you will be the happiest you've ever been. I think you are a strong person for standing up in the first place and trying to make a difference for yourself against the odds and I wish you the best.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Injuries and arthritis. It's very hard to stop yourself from wanting to do more when your body can't. So it's hard to know your limits, you kind of figure them out when you run into them and hurt yourself (again). Sucks because fitness makes such a difference in all aspects of health, including mood.

My mommy could relate to you. She's been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis for the last 40 some years of her life but she's never let it stop her except on those days when she would suffer such severe flare ups that we ship her to the hospital for some TLC. Nothing like my mom getting shot up on steroids. She's like the Energizer Bunny when she comes back. ;) But, do the best that you can and you'll find yourself still walking around on most days when you're 80's like my mom.

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Overdoing it which leads to drop of motivation followed by self doubt and complacency

Slowing learning to pace myself and stay flexible. 3/5 in and the last twenty will be the toughest.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy. :oo:)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

YES. For many reasons, I meal plan our family dinner, so every Saturday, I sit down with cookbooks, magazines, etc to figure out the week's meals. As I go, I write my shopping list. I HATE grocery shopping (always have), so sticking to a list makes this a little better. Then taking it all home, putting it away, preparing meals, entering recipes into MFP... blah, blah... But, I also know that it's the key to my success. I can be lazy and heavy, or make it part of my routine and be healthy. It seems to come and go. When it "comes," I try to push through. Other times, it's not nearly as irritating. I get what you're saying though.

~Curly

• aprilmarie32
    Options
    My biggest hurdle is my own self image. Having a hard time right now feeling good about myself.