Treadmill VS Elliptical

Options
Archerychickge
Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I have (and LOVE) a Nordic Trac treadmill. I bought it for $100 from a friend and have used the crap out of it lately. It runs smooth as butter and the workouts that are preprogrammed on it are challenging enough for me at this stage in my journey, plus I can download other workouts online or program my own custom workouts. I really enjoy having it at my disposal so I can exercise from the comfort of my own home. (I hate going to the gym)

I recently got an offer from another friend to buy their Nordic Trac elliptical machine for $75. I've never used and elliptical though, and I'm curious if it would be a worthwhile investment. I don't have a ton of floor space for it, but if it would be a better machine to use for a more total body workout, then I could either put the treadmill in storage, or sell it to finance the elliptical.

Does anyone know, generally speaking, how much more I would burn by exercising on one vs the other? Are Nordic Trac ellipticals as good as their treadmills?

I'm not sure of the model on the elliptical but my treadmill is a 2350 I think. As I said I LOVE my treadmill, but want to be able to make the most of the limited floor space I have while optimizing my workouts.

Thoughts?

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I won't lie - I have done my fair share of treadmill work but I LOVE the elliptical SOOOO much more!

A - easier on my joints (I have arthritis)
    b - you can adjust the resistance not just the incline
    c - I burn way more for the same time on the elliptical

Hope that helps :)
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for... How bad will the elliptical kick my rear when I start using it?
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the elliptical over a treadmill anyday. Mostly because it's lower impact, so I never worry about straining or injuring myself.

If you love your treadmill, you should stick with it.

If you are curious which you would like more, you could always go as a guest with a friend or get a day pass to a gym and try out an elliptical before making your decision.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for... How bad will the elliptical kick my rear when I start using it?

It will feel like floating if you are used to a treadmill.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of cardio equipment, but I would prefer a treadmill. I come from a standpoint that exercise and training is more than just moving and burning calories...I want what I'm doing to be functional. If I'm running on a treadmill, that's going to make me a better runner and If forced indoor I can still work on running hills and various terrains and that's going to translate to something outside of the gym...it's going to help me improve my 5K or 10k time or whatever...it's going to help make me a better trail runner, etc. I have yet to discover what the elliptical translates to.

That said, the elliptical is just fine if all you want to do is be moving and is particularly good if you need something with less impact. I would hesitate to really say it's "full body"...I don't think it's anymore full body than going for a jog...the poles aren't offering up a whole lot of resistance or anything.

Also, in my experience, you're going to burn more torching a 5K on the treadmill than you will doing the equivalent on an elliptical.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    Ugh.... The G word. Sorry but I really really really really really really hate going to a gym. Did I say really?

I wonder how weird it would be for me to show up early one day for my shift at Dick's and try one of the ellipticals on the floor... I go in next Tuesday at 6 am so it's not like any customers would see me....
  • AshleyNicolePedigo
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical myself. I feel it really gets me a good workout and gets my heart rate up there and I normally burn 600-850 calories in a hour on the elliptical, Most I have got on Treadmill is 500 I think but I also don't use a treadmill alot! But I def love the elliptical!
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I personally hate my elliptical. I bought one and used it once. I can't stand it. I love my treadmill.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of cardio equipment, but I would prefer a treadmill. I come from a standpoint that exercise and training is more than just moving and burning calories...I want what I'm doing to be functional. If I'm running on a treadmill, that's going to make me a better runner and If forced indoor I can still work on running hills and various terrains and that's going to translate to something outside of the gym...it's going to help me improve my 5K or 10k time or whatever...it's going to help make me a better trail runner, etc. I have yet to discover what the elliptical translates to.

That said, the elliptical is just fine if all you want to do is be moving and is particularly good if you need something with less impact. I would hesitate to really say it's "full body"...I don't think it's anymore full body than going for a jog...the poles aren't offering up a whole lot of resistance or anything.

Also, in my experience, you're going to burn more torching a 5K on the treadmill than you will doing the equivalent on an elliptical.

I do have some arthritis in my knees but that has been a lot better since losing almost 80 pounds so far...

I don't run. Unless something large, hairy, and with big pointy teeth is chasing me. So its mostly speed walking. At least it's speed walking for me... I can walk comfortably at 4mph.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    I personally hate my elliptical. I bought one and used it once. I can't stand it. I love my treadmill.

Do you mind me asking what you hate about the elliptical but love about the treadmill?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that an elliptical is great if you have joint issues or are recovering from an injury or something like that.

as far as it being a full body workout, it's not. not any more than running on a treadmill.

and yes, you can go to Dicks and try one. thats why they're assembled, right?
  • carphalen5150
    Options
    I have an elliptical in my garage that I use when it is too cold to run outside. Obviously, the plus side to an elliptical over a treadmill is that your arms are getting work as well. I'd choose elliptical. My thing is though, if you can run on a treadmill, you can run on a track or outside...which works better burning calories. For me it does anyways.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical myself. I feel it really gets me a good workout and gets my heart rate up there and I normally burn 600-850 calories in a hour on the elliptical, Most I have got on Treadmill is 500 I think but I also don't use a treadmill alot! But I def love the elliptical!

I typically burn about the same as you on my treadmill. I am impressed that you can burn that much more on the elliptical. I'm just curious if that is normal or just your personal results?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I personally prefer the elliptical over a treadmill anyday. Mostly because it's lower impact, so I never worry about straining or injuring myself.

If you love your treadmill, you should stick with it.

If you are curious which you would like more, you could always go as a guest with a friend or get a day pass to a gym and try out an elliptical before making your decision.

This +1. Go and try first hand before making the choice. You arent really going to go wrong for $75. Dont think they give you a total body workout.
  • Aiko831
    Options
    I do not like either one... I used to love the elliptical- but then I realized it was making my butt smaller . just like most cardio workouts... "_" I then became best friends with the Stair master!!!!! Best way to burn fat, while toning glutes =) Ohhh Goodie! If you don't like it, you can opt for a martial arts class ( a lot of gyms offer cardio kickboxing- or go to youtube and search Tae Bo workouts) ...
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Do you run on your treadmill or walk? If walk, then elliptical hands down will give you a better burn.
  • Ibknute
    Ibknute Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I was walking outside or on a treadmill for about a month and a half then started doing some elliptical work a couple weeks ago. The first couple sessions were tough and I had to hold on to the railing when walking down the stairs. Like anything, your body will adjust to it and now my legs are still tired after the session but it is a good tired and I don't feel like I am going to fall over because I can't stand up.

As was already mentioned, preference does kind of depend on what type of training you are wanting to do. I do like the elliptical for the less impact and general movement as I am not trying to train for a run or anything like that. I can burn more calories in a shorter amount of time on the elliptical than walking. I could probably burn the same amount by running but that is not my plan. Depending on the device, you can set both incline and resistance on an elliptical like you can on a treadmill and it most likely will have some pre-programmed workouts and the ability to custom program or download other workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I do have some arthritis in my knees but that has been a lot better since losing almost 80 pounds so far...

I don't run. Unless something large, hairy, and with big pointy teeth is chasing me. So its mostly speed walking. At least it's speed walking for me... I can walk comfortably at 4mph.

In that case, I think you would get a better overall workout on an elliptical.

Just keep in mind that these machines are well known to substantially over-inflate calorie burn. Always keep in mind that it's really hard to burn more than about 10 calories per hour more than what you would have burned just sitting around...and a 10 calorie per minute burn means you're pretty much not able to hold a conversation or anything for that entire time you are working.

I only wanted to note this because I'm already seeing people chime in with, "oh, it's awesome...I burn a gazillion calories in an hour."....be careful with that.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I typically burn about the same as you on my treadmill. I am impressed that you can burn that much more on the elliptical. I'm just curious if that is normal or just your personal results?

Be very careful here....

see my previous post.

• Heather1983v
    Heather1983v Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like both the treadmill & elliptical. I use the Elliptical mon-friday & my weekends are running on the treadmill. What i like about the elliptical is i can burn more calories in same amount of time/easier on joints.

It did take me awhile tho to get into using the elliptical.