sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    zachbonner wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    You pay someone a bunch of money and then still want to buy him a present?! Wow...
    Some people are thoughtful, crazy right?

I'm thoughtful as well (um hello *kitten* ton of cookies I made for co-workers who went out of their way to help me this year) but PT sessions are expensive and I wouldn't tip a trainer.
    Then again I wouldn't waste my money on a trainer
    Some people are more thoughtful than others.

I don't think that's being thoughtful, I think that's wasting money. If you're actually friends with the guy and want to get him something, then that's cool...but the OP obviously doesn't have that kind of relationship with the trainer, otherwise she wouldn't be asking what to get him.

I give presents to my mailman and my kid's teachers. I'm not giving someone a present whom I already have to pay for services!

As the husband of a former teacher .. I beg you .. please please please do NOT get your childrens' teachers gifts. I can't tell you how many teacher themed Mugs, paperweights, baskets, plaques, and other assorted tchotchkes we have around the house. If you HAVE to do something for the kids' teachers .. VERY small food gifts work (like 2 home made cookies in some shiny cellophane with a bow. Anything more than that is an unwanted burden.

My wife would always come home the friday before xmas vacation complaining about the mountains of useless garbage she had to pretend to be grateful for. (wow! another "a teacher opens a window to tomorrow" mug. only my 5th one!!).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    You pay someone a bunch of money and then still want to buy him a present?! Wow...

I'm thoughtful as well (um hello *kitten* ton of cookies I made for co-workers who went out of their way to help me this year) but PT sessions are expensive and I wouldn't tip a trainer.

I don't think that's being thoughtful, I think that's wasting money. If you're actually friends with the guy and want to get him something, then that's cool...but the OP obviously doesn't have that kind of relationship with the trainer, otherwise she wouldn't be asking what to get him.

I give presents to my mailman and my kid's teachers. I'm not giving someone a present whom I already have to pay for services!

As the husband of a former teacher .. I beg you .. please please please do NOT get your childrens' teachers gifts. I can't tell you how many teacher themed Mugs, paperweights, baskets, plaques, and other assorted tchotchkes we have around the house. If you HAVE to do something for the kids' teachers .. VERY small food gifts work (like 2 home made cookies in some shiny cellophane with a bow. Anything more than that is an unwanted burden.

When I was a kid, my gram would make cookie baskets for the teachers. Like 4 different kinds of cookies in a festive tin.

Until recently, it never crossed my mind to give a teacher themed item
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    I just give cash! - I also give cash to the person at the desk that greets me by name several time a week at 5:30 in morning with a smile even though some days I don't smile back :D

I was taught that you tip for personal services, but any acknowledgment of their services would do.

THANK YOU!! I was also taught to tip for personal services, whether that tip is monetary or a gift this is why I'm asking.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    In the past, I've always given teachers bottles of lube. Some get the joke, some get mad, some get plans.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Those that can will.. those that can't will make up an excuse not to then hide behind their WalMart snobbery... Nothing wrong with offering a service provider a token of appreciation. and UNLESS your independently wealthy YOU are a service provider. (hey notice I spelt indendently right??? B)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

My wife would always come home the friday before xmas vacation complaining about the mountains of useless garbage she had to pretend to be grateful for. (wow! another "a teacher opens a window to tomorrow" mug. only my 5th one!!).

I do a Starbucks or DD gift card.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELL, I think that EVERY personal trainer likes and wants to indulge in a bottle of whiskey.. expensive whiskey,
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Those that can will.. those that can't will make up an excuse not to then hide behind their WalMart snobbery... Nothing wrong with offering a service provider a token of appreciation. and UNLESS your independently wealthy YOU are a service provider. (hey notice I spelt indendently right??? B)

Not the second time.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I do a Starbucks or DD gift card.

good call. very useful.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

makes a lot of sense. some might categorize gifts for people you really only know casually as weird.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Personally I've gotten gift cards to restaurants in the area. It's always cool to check out restaurants that I may have never been to.
    All the "sports" stuff is stuff I probably already have or even better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dbmata
    Options
    Here's a related question:

Do you tip a masseuse?
    Do you tip a masseuse if they are in a physical therapy practice?

I've been wondering that.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Do you tip a masseuse?

I'd tip a masseuse.
    Never had a PT massage.
    But I routinely baked for my PT and the aides - it was another audience to try recipes on

• jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    I just give cash! - I also give cash to the person at the desk that greets me by name several time a week at 5:30 in morning with a smile even though some days I don't smile back :D

I was taught that you tip for personal services, but any acknowledgment of their services would do.

This woman has got the right idea...cash is usually the best way to go!
  • LianaG1115
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Personally I've gotten gift cards to restaurants in the area. It's always cool to check out restaurants that I may have never been to.
    All the "sports" stuff is stuff I probably already have or even better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you!! Coming from a personal trainer, I take it you've gotten gifts then. I thought of a stopwatch but he doesn't use one. Thought of money, its kinda ok but I don't know how much to give, and then we talked about gift cards...so my hubby said to put it here and see what others think.
  • dbmata
    Options

Do you tip a masseuse?

I'd tip a masseuse.
    Never had a PT massage.
    But I routinely baked for my PT and the aides - it was another audience to try recipes on
    My question is based behind the question:
    If I'm paying their hourly fee, why tip them extra? Why not just have them charge a higher hourly fee?
  • LianaG1115
    Options

Do you tip a masseuse?

I tip my massage therapist $10-15 each visit, but if it was something billed through my insurance probably not.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Do you tip a masseuse?

I definitely tip that masseuse. don't see one regularly, if I did, I'd consider giving her extra as a tip during the holidays.

you wouldn't see me going any further then that unless I wanted to do her.

this is going to make me sound cheap, but feel like there is something pretentious about giving gifts to every shmoe who happens to cross your path during the season.

• dbmata
    Options
    this is going to make me sound cheap, but feel like there is something pretentious about giving gifts to every shmoe who happens to cross your path during the season.
    Agreed, and that's actually how I feel about wait staff, tattoo artists, hair stylists...

If they wanted an extra vig, just bake it into the service price eh?