180 Days In: A Bit Tired

Options
velix
velix Posts: 437 Member
Or just thereabout, and I am slowly dipping into (another) small valley of complacency. I really thought by now, this would be old hat. That my eating habits would have naturally evolved (as I was doing very well for quite some time). I never deprived myself of treats (in moderation) and always tried to balance my treats with good, clean nutrition. I make most of my own food, shop daily in fruit and veggie kiosks, etc.

BUT, I am tired. I find myself making more allowances (nutrition wise). My diet has always been my struggle - not necessary the quality of the food, but definitely the quantity. Garlic butter on my asparagus instead of enjoying its natural goodness, an extra 100g of pork loin here, another cup of egg noodles there ... admittedly, my diary has been horrible the last month or so....

The weight loss has been slow and steady - and overall, I cannot really complain. On the one hand, I have lost on average 6-7lbs a month (some months are better than others - and my ticker includes weight loss prior to MFP). But I am reaching a point where I am impatient - I was hoping to be a few lbs lighter by May than I am (at least 10), and instead of kicking it up another notch, I find myself just wanting to throw in the towel "just for today".... which makes every other day a 'starting over day' ....

I joined a 10 day challenge at my gym (fundraiser for a children's hospital) to try and stay motivated - and I still love working out when I am there - I am just tired of the time and effort I have been putting in to this whole lifestyle / weight loss journey - and as those around me know - it has come at the cost of other aspects of my life...

Guess I am just looking for a few words of wisdom from the great MFP collective. In my heart, I know it's a long and hard road. That change does not happen overnight (or even in 6 months!), and that all we can do is keep pushing forward. But if I know this logically, why is it still so darn hard!?

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm almost to 120 days and I understand how difficult it can be to be committed for the long term. You have made amazing progress ... I hope you can find your motivation and get back on track. You deserve a huge pat on the back for your success so far!!!! It always inspires me to see that other people have been successful and dedicated for longer than me.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I understand completely and could have written that myself. I tell myself that as long as I am here and still working towards my ultimate goal, then I have not failed. I thought it would get easier also, but that just isnt the case. Its been one year for me and I am down 80+ pounds, and I still have a LONG way to go. But again, we keep trying and that has to count for something right?
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've hit these little valleys throughout my journey. But I found that changing up your routine, diet, foods, really helps keep you motivated. Also, your body needs to stay confused to keep getting maximum results. I change my diet caloric intake every two weeks, and my exercise routine every 2-3 weeks. I haven't hit a plateau in 2 months. Hope this helps. Keep fighting the good fight. you can do it. Just remember the reason that you started the journey int he first place.
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    I totally understand. Kind of at that point myself right now. The past 2 weeks, in the back of my mind I've been playing "if I eat this & still work out what happens" kind of game. No weight loss, but no gain either. I guess you could say I'm teaching myself "maintenance" a little early.

I'm going out this weekend to buy a pair of slacks or shorts in a size smaller, hoping that will motivate me alittle
  • suedalton1
    suedalton1 Posts: 9
    Options
    You are doing a great job!!!!!! i think we all make nutrition mistakes sometimes. you can't expect that you will always be "good". Just jump back on that wagon and enjoy the ride.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am going to come clean and say that Once I got to my fourth month I quit logging my food. I haven't logged in a while... but I make sure to eat serving sizes and exercise.. so far I am still improving, I plan to start logging my food once again, I am just soo tired.

And I haven't come nearly as far as you!

Its all a learning process, I plan to start again, but for now, loggin in and reading inspirational things is about the best I can do right now.

So I UNDERSTAND!

and to you I say no worries! we cant be perfect all the time, but we can try our very best all the time... if it means I have a weak day then so be it... I just make sure to not have weak days all the time.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,

maybe you actually need a "holiday", some time Off-MFP.
    I have a personal trainer and at the very beginning, he told me there would come a time that he doesn't want to see me at the gym, that I need to have a break from fitness and working out. At first I was like WTH?? And after a few weeks, I noticed a change in my working out. I was slower, the workout got harder to achieve, even though I LOVED doing it, but my body didn't manage, what I wanted it to manage. That was the time for my break. It apparently was mental, and not physical... After a week of doing no "real" workout, which meant I didn't go to gym, nor to pool, only did twice an hour of rollerblading (which I didn't and still don't consider as working out: it's fun!), after that break, I had a new start and actually my body was able to manage those workouts again, without any problems.
    That break was needed, even though I didn't understand or see it.

Maybe for you it's similar: you need a break, not from working out, but from having your thoughts turn around food and calories all the time. You may be tired from controlling it all the time, and you need to get your mind to just forget about it all for a short while.

You only need to be aware that it should only be for a week or so, and then you have to start again.

MM
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    thank you guys - I really appreciate the advice (that I think is spot on) and words of support / encouragement - needed it today =)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hey,

maybe you actually need a "holiday", some time Off-MFP.
    I have a personal trainer and at the very beginning, he told me there would come a time that he doesn't want to see me at the gym, that I need to have a break from fitness and working out. At first I was like WTH?? And after a few weeks, I noticed a change in my working out. I was slower, the workout got harder to achieve, even though I LOVED doing it, but my body didn't manage, what I wanted it to manage. That was the time for my break. It apparently was mental, and not physical... After a week of doing no "real" workout, which meant I didn't go to gym, nor to pool, only did twice an hour of rollerblading (which I didn't and still don't consider as working out: it's fun!), after that break, I had a new start and actually my body was able to manage those workouts again, without any problems.
    That break was needed, even though I didn't understand or see it.

Maybe for you it's similar: you need a break, not from working out, but from having your thoughts turn around food and calories all the time. You may be tired from controlling it all the time, and you need to get your mind to just forget about it all for a short while.

You only need to be aware that it should only be for a week or so, and then you have to start again.

MM

This is smart advice! although it would be hard to not have "holidays from MFP" all the time! haha sometimes preserverence is just what you need, and sometimes its a break! I do like this advice tho!