Question about cooked beef

fatcity66
fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
Tonight I ate some of the delicious grass-fed Kobe beef I got from Organic Depot. It has a very high fat content (about 76%), so I drained it well with several paper towels before eating. My question is, should I log it as on the package, which I assume is the raw amount for 4 oz, or is it more accurate to log it cooked? I'd like to think the fat content was significantly reduced by draining it, as it did appear that way. Or does the nutrition info on the package already account for that?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    You drained off the fat? The part that makes Kobe beef Kobe beef? :'(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    you drained off the best part = fail
  • fatcity66
    Is was ground beef, and after I cooked it, it was swimming in fat. So yes, I drained it. I don't really find drinking a ton of grease appealing. I also didn't realize how high the fat content was when I bought it. I was just looking for grass-fed beef and that was what they had.
    Anyway, does anyone have a HELPFUL answer to my question?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    There are several Kobe beef entries on MFP. One is cooked hamburger. (3 oz 340 calories) maybe that would be a starting place. Or get you in the ballpark.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    next time just get 93/7 ground beef and don't ruin the kobe ...
  • fatcity66
    tigerblue wrote: »
    There are several Kobe beef entries on MFP. One is cooked hamburger. (3 oz 340 calories) maybe that would be a starting place. Or get you in the ballpark.

Thank you. That's what it says on the package, I just assumed that was raw info. But that's why I'm asking, I wasn't sure. It's still very tasty, but I could not stomach eating all that fat. Next time I will look for a leaner cut.
  • fatcity66
    edited December 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    next time just get 93/7 ground beef and don't ruin the kobe ...

That is what I usually get, but I wanted grass-fed, and certified humane. I've got this ethical problem with torturing animals, but I will still eat them. LOL Plus, factory farms are not very sanitary, and the overuse of anti-biotics in livestock is a very real problem.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    They torture them before the kill them? I did not know that.
  • fatcity66

Keeping them in pens so small they can't even turn around, up to their ankles in filth. Yup, I would call that torture.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Depends on your definition of torture. If you were restricted for most or all of your life to such crowded or confined conditions that you couldn't turn around, if you were the product of generations of planned breeding that meant your legs couldn't support your torso to stand if you wanted to, if you were fed a diet so unnatural for you that you needed drugs to deal with how it fouled up your digestive process, or if your living tissue was amputated in an attempt to prevent you from scratching or biting the other people crowded around you, would you feel like you were being tortured?

If that doesn't sound like torture to you, I believe the CIA has an opening for you.

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member

Depends on your definition of torture. If you were restricted for most or all of your life to such crowded or confined conditions that you couldn't turn around, if you were the product of generations of planned breeding that meant your legs couldn't support your torso to stand if you wanted to, if you were fed a diet so unnatural for you that you needed drugs to deal with how it fouled up your digestive process, or if your living tissue was amputated in an attempt to prevent you from scratching or biting the other people crowded around you, would you feel like you were being tortured?

If that doesn't sound like torture to you, I believe the CIA has an opening for you.

I guess we get our beef from different sources then. Mine comes from the neighbors ranch next door.....as do my eggs too.
  • fatcity66
    edited December 2014

I guess we get our beef from different sources then. Mine comes from the neighbors ranch next door.....as do my eggs too.

That's the best place to get them, from local, family farms. Unfortunately, that's not the norm for most, i.e. people who shop at Wal-mart, just as an example.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    edited December 2014

I can see that PETA's been selling you a load of bullShi+.
    Apparently, you believed it.
    I was an inspector in the industry for 17 years.
    The only confined spaces were in the preparation to load the cattle onto trailers, while IN the trailer en route to a packing house, and the holding pens at their destination.
    Yes, some feed lots are small & smelly, but to date, no one has figured out a way to feed cows without the subsequent elimination of waste.
    (And the associated flatulence, which contains copious amounts of methane.)
    Also, it's impractical to have 4.3 cows per acre while the animals are awaiting transit to a packing facility, and the short wait before the cattle reach their 'final' destination.
    On the kill floor, a pneumatic gun drives a metal rod onto a spot between the cow's eyes, but does not penetrate the skull.
    Instant death.
    That's about as humane as you can get.
    I will admit, being an animal lover, I was relieved to see that my wife had prepared chicken for dinner (instead of beef) after my first day on the job.
  • fatcity66
    edited December 2014
    DonM46 wrote: »

The only confined spaces were in the preparation to load the cattle onto trailers, while IN the trailer en route to a packing house, and the holding pens at their destination.
    Yes, some feed lots are small & smelly, but to date, no one has figured out a way to feed cows without the subsequent elimination of waste.
    Also, it's impractical to have 4.3 cows per acre while the animals are awaiting transit to a packing facility, and the short wait before the cattle reach their 'final' destination.
    On the kill floor, a pneumatic gun drives a metal rod onto a spot between the cow's eyes, but does not penetrate the skull.
    Instant death.
    I will admit, being an animal lover, I was relieved to see that my wife had prepared chicken for dinner (instead of beef) after my first day on the job.

And have you seen the conditions in which chickens on Perdue farms live?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YE9l94b3x9U
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    in Australia our beef get to walk around in large padocks, and be 1 with nature :smile:
  • DonM46
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Instant death.
    And have you seen the conditions in which chickens on Perdue farms live?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YE9l94b3x9U
    I'm sure there are packing houses that do NOT measure up, just as the chicken farm in the video.
    However, I'm not totally ignorant of THIS industry.
    I have a cousin in NW Arkansas who has made a handsome living as a chicken farmer since the '70s.
    As with cattle, the odor in the climate-controlled enclosure is not Chanel #5, but it's chicken heaven compared to the extreme conditions shown in the youtube video.
    There will be atypical installations in any industry.

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2014
    As with cattle, the odor in the climate-controlled enclosure is not Chanel #5, but it's chicken heaven compared to the extreme conditions shown in the youtube video.
    There will be atypical installations in any industry.

Oh my god, haha, I am a meat-eater and generally agree with you, but "atypical installations" sounds so much like "enhanced interrogation techniques"!
  • DonM46
    :) Sorry, that was not my intent.
  • fatcity66
    Haha People flagged my Youtube video post. Figures, most people can't handle the truth and would much rather stay ignorant.