Have you taken turmeric and/or bromelain?

Options
Did it help relieve pain and inflammation? If so, how long did that take?

Hoping to get some relief for OA, tendonitis, and post-exercise soreness.

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes I've taken turmeric for inflammation. I think you need to also follow an anti-inflammatory diet. Maybe took a month to kick in. Now diet alone is enough.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have eaten turmeric as a spice in my foods and eaten pineapple. I have never treated myself intentionally for inflammation with these foods. Ginger is also good for inflammation. I am sure they work.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh nice! Glad you were able to see some benefit. I don't think I could do e.g. the Mediterranean diet, though, I really feel better when I have a good amount of red meat, and cutting out nightshades (esp tomatoes) would be like cutting off my arm :/ My various test results don't indicate inflammatory arthritis - it's the wear and tear kind (they think), prompted by hypermobility.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have taken tumeric and didn't notice any difference.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Sorry, just so I understand bc it could be both - the supplement (curcumin), or the spice?
  • skaterbutt
    skaterbutt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use turmeric in a lot of different foods...it's also supposed to be good for reducing the risk of cancer.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    skaterbutt wrote: »
    I use turmeric in a lot of different foods...it's also supposed to be good for reducing the risk of cancer.

I've read that too - thinking about the studies though, not sure if there's enough curcumin in the spice, in the amounts we'd normally use to cook.. but who knows!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My father takes bromelain for arthritis and says he uses fewer pain meds that way. BTW, if you do take bromelain with pain meds that slow blood clotting (like aspirin, ibuprofin, etc), you could wind up bruised.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    My father takes bromelain for arthritis and says he uses fewer pain meds that way. BTW, if you do take bromelain with pain meds that slow blood clotting (like aspirin, ibuprofin, etc), you could wind up bruised.

Good to know! Thanks for the heads up :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Oh nice! Glad you were able to see some benefit. I don't think I could do e.g. the Mediterranean diet, though, I really feel better when I have a good amount of red meat, and cutting out nightshades (esp tomatoes) would be like cutting off my arm :/ My various test results don't indicate inflammatory arthritis - it's the wear and tear kind (they think), prompted by hypermobility.

I've never thought of a mediterranean diet has having strict rules like "no night shades". Or did I misunderstand you?
    I think of mediterranean diet as being more of an approach to eating that's heavily plant based, with good fats, and omega3s. etc.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    You're right - that should have been two sentences. The Med diet is thought to work against inflammation. Separately, nightshades are thought by some to contribute to inflammation.
  • eagley2j
    Options
    In India Raw Turmeric is taken with milk for recovery purposes as per Aurveda !
    I have tried this and it really worked for me .
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have RA(rheumatoid arthritis) and for me weight lifting as well as eating less sugar(cutting out refined/processed sugar)99% of the time has helped. I dont need to take anything for pain because the 2 together has helped with pain and I dont have the inflammation I used to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    You're right - that should have been two sentences. The Med diet is thought to work against inflammation. Separately, nightshades are thought by some to contribute to inflammation.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.