Losing too fast since I started swimming

13»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    As you become a better and more efficient swimmer and continue to lose weight, you will burn fewer calories by swimming. You're probably burning a lot now because your body hasn't adapted to it yet - it will :)

I understand that and will cut my calories back when it happens. I really am trying to keep a steady rate of loss rather than fast losses that gradually get slower.

1. Swimming will feel easier but you'll burn the same amount of calories. A bit less wasted effort in inefficient movements perhaps, but it still requires the same amount of energy for a trained person to reach the other end of the pool as an untrained person.
    2. All rates of loss will gradually get slower because that's how things work. This chasing of some magical ideal of 1.1854 pounds lost per week doesn't guarantee any of the things you think it does.
    3. But you seem set of believing this, so I'll hitch a ride with Jo out of here.
    4. I love the auto list feature
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    As you become a better and more efficient swimmer and continue to lose weight, you will burn fewer calories by swimming. You're probably burning a lot now because your body hasn't adapted to it yet - it will :)

I understand that and will cut my calories back when it happens. I really am trying to keep a steady rate of loss rather than fast losses that gradually get slower.

1. Swimming will feel easier but you'll burn the same amount of calories. A bit less wasted effort in inefficient movements perhaps, but it still requires the same amount of energy for a trained person to reach the other end of the pool as an untrained person.

Only if they continually challenge themselves (sprints, etc)

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member

Swimming is such a technical exercise, that I'm willing to bet that a trained swimmer can get to the end of the pool using less than half of the energy than an untrained beginning swimmer. An untrained swimmer will exhaust herself by just trying to stay afloat for a few minutes, whereas a seasoned veteran can stay afloat for hours without much trouble, provided that the water is warm enough.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how much more do you need to lose? If it's still substantial- I'd just say roll with the 2.5 pounds untill it stops. Because it will.

Otherwise- just eat more.

I have another 72 lb to lose but have had fast losses before that have caused physical issues (like major hair sheds) and really don't want to risk that this time.

I know I need to eat more. My question is if it is better to eat more on the days I exercise to fuel the exercise or just in general. If it is to fuel the exercise, how is it best to do it?

2 pounds is still reasonable and medically sound.

If it goes up faster than than that I'd be more worried.

as far as timing- whenever you want.

As far as when- it depends on how you count your calories- I don't account for my workouts- it's built into my calorie count- I use TDEE.

if you use MFP's method- which is the NEET method- you add your workouts then eat back some of the calories- so if that's the method you're using- only eat extra on your workout days.

Don't over complicate it- at 250 calories-eating a single snickers bar the days you workout will more than compensate for extra calories- although- I wouldn't recommend that for you- just an example- a small snack of 200 calories is more than enough.

Apple sauce- glass of milk- glass of juice- whatever snack you like- more dairy- more egg.... don't over think it- we aren't talking about thousands of calories.

Actually, to slow my weight loss by around pound a week, we ARE talking about close to 3000 calories a week. My earned exercise calories are about 1100 on workout days so I should be adding at least 500-700 on those days. I also average about 300 extra from fitbit steps on non-workout days but I rarely eat those back because I thought I built them in when I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active.

I'm trying to not overthink this, but the extra weight loss has me concerned.

First, congrats on your steps to success. Many have suggested a few items I may repeat. Recognizing you are from Wisconsin I'd look at jerky and a piece of string cheese once you are out of the pool. Does it matter pre or post workout, nah. For me, as an old swimmer, I'll eat carbs pre, and have what I listed post. Knowing your carbs need to be at a certain level I'd shoot for some added fat pre workout too. Maybe those small packs of Jif PB, high fat, some sugar, but easy to carry and easy to get 2 of 3 MACROS in. To introduce avocado in you may want to try Holy Guacamole packs. Also, a variety of nuts float around the casa here. I take time on a weekend to weigh out and pre-package them in 1 ounce sizes and then have them available during the week. Full fat yogurt, honey, frozen blueberries, and some crushed pecans were dessert for me last evening. Best of luck and continued success.

• DavPul
    zipa78 wrote: »

Swimming is such a technical exercise, that I'm willing to bet that a trained swimmer can get to the end of the pool using less than half of the energy than an untrained beginning swimmer. An untrained swimmer will exhaust herself by just trying to stay afloat for a few minutes, whereas a seasoned veteran can stay afloat for hours without much trouble, provided that the water is warm enough.

That's the inefficient movement I referred to. In theory, you're correct, but in real life, once people figure out the proper technique, they move faster and for longer periods of time. So once she's using 30% less energy, she's also moving 30% faster and/or swimming 30% longer.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but you seem to be looking for an excuse to eat more.

Sorry, but I'm not going to give you one.

Yes, you are being a bit cynical. You have seen me around the forum and have even commented that I "get it" I am actually finding it hard to eat more so I was wondering if there was a way to make extra calories work better for my body. If so, I would add them in.

I really am just nervous about the fast weight loss because it has happened previous times I lost and I ended up not feeling the best. I also understand that my previous issues could have had nothing to do with the rate of loss but my nutritional profile at the time. I have been doing so well for 11 months so far and this sudden change is concerning, much more than the two plateaus I had, because I know and understand that they happen and weight loss is not linear.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I guess I have to figure out if anything is broke.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I'm in the "roll with it" camp. 'Hair loss' calorie levels should be way lower than what you're at. And I personally think a body "fuels workouts" the same way it fuels all our other daily activity while in a deficit-- funding the deficit from fat stores, and that that's ok, especially if you feel ok.

If I had 70+ lbs. to lose and was spending hours a day doing cardio to lose it, I'd be more into getting it off than eating more but that's just me.

Congrats on your progress and good luck! :)
  • earlnabby
    I have one last question. I read all through the forums and people are being told that they are losing too fast and to eat more. Here I am being told to keep losing fast and not eat more. What is the difference? Do you really think this is just temporary, kind of like a reverse plateau? If so, I will go ahead and "roll with it" and keep doing what I am doing: eat more when I am feeling hungrier but stay close to my target otherwise.
  • DavPul
    I have one last question. I read all through the forums and people are being told that they are losing too fast and to eat more. Here I am being told to keep losing fast and not eat more. What is the difference? Do you really think this is just temporary, kind of like a reverse plateau? If so, I will go ahead and "roll with it" and keep doing what I am doing: eat more when I am feeling hungrier but stay close to my target otherwise.

The disconnect here is that 2 pounds per week for a person with your amount of weight to lose is not "too fast". Come to terms with that and all the other stuff will make sense
  • amt6298
    amt6298 Posts: 2 Member
    i had wls a few months ago so i lose weight like mad every week to deal with the hair shedding cause of alot of weight loss durning the week they told me to make sure i eat 60 grams or more of protein a day and i have had no problems thus far so i would continue with what your losing cause it will slow down and just up your protein to help combat hair loss awesome job on what you have done lost
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    If I really am eating at a 8750 deficit, 300-500 calories per day will bring me back to the 5000-6000 deficit weekly. Should I do that daily, or eat closer to an extra 800-1000 just on the 3 days I work out?

It's up to you. Do what you feel most comfortable with as it won't make a difference in reality as long as you are deficit averages out to be roughly the same thing over time.

So it doesn't really matter if I target fuel my workouts, or just eat at a general deficit?

It doesn't matter. You can eat more only on days you exercise (half or 3/4 of your exercise calories), or you could eat a little more every day. If you were doing the TDEE - % method you would average all that exercise over the whole week and eat the same amount every day. If you are more hungry on days you exercise, then do it the MFP way and eat more according to your exercise days. Perhaps it would be easier for you because of your carb restrictions to figure out your meal plans for the same amount of calories every day.

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Generally the people who are being told that are the ones who have 50 or less pounds to lose (and especially the ones with 20 and less to lose and the vanity pound crew).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I think too that you have a subset of forum people in here that responded that are not as "eat more" happy as some other subsets. I bet if you posted this in the general forum, you'd get more people who say to eat more and lose slower, maybe?

It does seem like people are getting less fearful of the whole undereating thing (except in cases where it's young girls trying to get from 115 to 105, and it's warranted).

I also think the fast rate of loss is probably temporary. It'll either slow down or you'll get to feeling hungrier or you'll get to feeling tired of so much exercise. If you feel good now, I'd milk it. How long ago did you start swimming more? The change in activity can jump start losses.
  • earlnabby
    I think too that you have a subset of forum people in here that responded that are not as "eat more" happy as some other subsets. I bet if you posted this in the general forum, you'd get more people who say to eat more and lose slower, maybe?

It does seem like people are getting less fearful of the whole undereating thing (except in cases where it's young girls trying to get from 115 to 105, and it's warranted).

I also think the fast rate of loss is probably temporary. It'll either slow down or you'll get to feeling hungrier or you'll get to feeling tired of so much exercise. If you feel good now, I'd milk it. How long ago did you start swimming more? The change in activity can jump start losses.

I started lap swimming a month ago. Previously my cardio was mainly walking 6 x a week with a water aerobics class 3 x a week. The flare up of the arthritis in my foot is the reason I had to switch to lap swimming. I still walk, but cut down the time and distance to make sure I don't aggravate the foot.

I go to the pool 3 x a week and swim laps for 55 minutes, then take the aerobics class right after. As I am getting stronger, I have been increasing my laps so I still do the 55 minutes.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Generally the people who are being told that are the ones who have 50 or less pounds to lose (and especially the ones with 20 and less to lose and the vanity pound crew).

What's the weight loss cut-off for the "vanity pound crew"? Do you have to be below Healthy BMI to join? If so, I'm afraid I'll never be able to join. :disappointed:;)
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    If it were me I'd give it another month and see if the weight loss slows back down before adding in any extra cals. If its still going at the same rate and you absolutely want to slow it down (personally Id be thrilled at 2.5lb a week) then add some back in then. Might save you recalculating in a month
  • earlnabby
    If it were me I'd give it another month and see if the weight loss slows back down before adding in any extra cals. If its still going at the same rate and you absolutely want to slow it down (personally Id be thrilled at 2.5lb a week) then add some back in then. Might save you recalculating in a month

Yeah, that's kind of what I have decided to do with the option of eating more (up to 1/2 of my exercise calories) on days that I feel more hungry. For now, I am going to treat this as a reverse plateau and wait it out.

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    I'd love a reverse plateau!